Closed Solved

Can I switch my graphics card to a 7750?

Hello All!

I was thinking of upgrading the GPU on my PC...Currently I have:

a Dell inspiron 530 (purchased in 2008).

Here are the specs:

Q6600 intel processor running at 2.4 Ghz (I believe)
3 GB ram
32-bit Windows XP
300 Watt power supply
HD radeon 4350 512 MB

Just to let you know, I am sort of a 101 noob when it comes to hardware and upgrades.

I have a PCIexpress port (i plugged my radeon 4350 into that port) but I do not know if it has PCIe 3.0 or 2.0 (I really dont know what that is I just know that i have a PCIe port).

So can my computer handle this GPU replacement? : http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-11202-00-20G-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graphics/dp/B007B5V614/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346876993&sr=8-1&keywords=radeon+7750

I know that my PC can only handle 3.5 GB's of memory, so i already have 3 GB's of RAM. So will i have to remove 1 GB of RAM so that my computer can take advantage of the full 1 GB on the 7750?

Last question: Do I need to buy a specific GPU for windows XP 32-bit or will that GPU work just fine?

I dont think this video card needs a dedicated power cord, i think we just plug it into the PCIe port like my old 4350 right?

Feel free to recommend any other GPU's but i dont want to switch out of PSU if i dont absolutely have to.

I really just want to run my games at mid-high settings, like guild wars 2 and skyrim, etc.

Sorry for all the dumb questions in advance!
16 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about switch graphics card 7750
  1. Best answer
    PCI-E 2.0 and 3.0 shouldn't matter, as they are backwards compatible and the 7750 is not quick enough to utilize 3.0.

You pretty much do it exactly like you did on your 4350.
  2. I will echo what was said about the 7750 running fine.

About 32bit windows, your system ram and vram...

4GB is a hard limit set by the number of blocks 32 bits can address.

It is shared between system memory , video memory and other devices.

A 1GB card will eat up 1GB out of the 4GB total, but leave all 3GB of system ram in.

You can use what of it out of the 4GB total that the graphics card or others don't hog.
  3. jtenorj said:
    I will echo what was said about the 7750 running fine.

About 32bit windows, your system ram and vram...

4GB is a hard limit set by the number of blocks 32 bits can address.

It is shared between system memory , video memory and other devices.

A 1GB card will eat up 1GB out of the 4GB total, but leave all 3GB of system ram in.

You can use what of it out of the 4GB total that the graphics card or others don't hog.

Ok cool, so the video card memory takes priority? If the gpu has 1 GB then the RAM will have to deal with using only 3 GB?

Also, I saw alot of slightly different video cards on amazon... See here:

http://www.amazon.com/HIS-H775F1GD-Displayport-Express-Graphics/dp/B007827196/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1346881344&sr=8-2&keywords=radeon+7750

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GV-R775OC-1GI-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graphic/dp/B0079XWPEK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1346881344&sr=8-3&keywords=radeon+7750

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-HD7750-1GD5-V2-Radeon-GDDR5-Graphics/dp/B007RFYEQW/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1346881344&sr=8-8&keywords=radeon+7750

Should i just get the saphire? or are these better?
  4. They're all good.
  5. Deemo13 said:
    They're all good.

Awesome. Thank you for the fast replies. I'm doing some research and some say that it isn't much better than an integrated graphics....Will this card be a lot better than my current 4350? Will it run current 2012 games smoothly and mid-high settings? sorry for annoying you guys...
  6. Its going to be miles better than your 4350 currently. It should play most games around medium settings.
  7. Did the HD 7750 ever add a driver for windows XP? I've been researching this card myself and I thought I read that those cards didn't have XP support.
  8. That's a good question.
  9. Deemo13 said:
    That's a good question.

Damn I just ordered it :(. I hope it will work. Anyone care to chime in??
  10. It should work, but it will just have some features disabled (Eyefinity, DX10/11, etc) that wouldn't work on XP anyway.
  11. Yes they are supported, at least directly from AMD... Driver is part of the normal catalyst driver package
  12. Deemo13 said:
    It should work, but it will just have some features disabled (Eyefinity, DX10/11, etc) that wouldn't work on XP anyway.

Thanks all for the input! I will install it tomorrow...just another question...When i install it, how will I know if it works perfectly? I know i can obviously just check my fps increase on the games I have, but how will i know that everything is squared away and perfect? Meaning no more worrying about potential problems.
  13. Last bump~ Thanks to all, everything worked perfectly!
  14. You should be able to notice it working.
  15. Best answer selected by itechnique.
  16. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards GPUs Graphics