TRANSFER DATA FROM 7650 TO 6600! Doesn't Nokia give a damn..

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

I've been trying to transfer the text messages from my Nokia 7650 to
my new Nokia 6600.
I never thought it would be SO difficult or that Nokia wouldn't even
care to try to provide it's customers with a solution!
And from my internet searches I have discovered that quite a few
people have had the same problem with other phone models as well.
I guess Nokia doesn't want us to use the phones as serious equipment.
It obviously thinks that we will only be using them as toys,
therefore, there would be no need to offer support to the users who
want to upgrade their phone!
So... basically, Nokia's answer to all these people who are having
this problem is: "Throw away your messages" or "Don't ever upgrade
your phone" or is it "Move to Sony Erickson"?
I don't know how to interpret the fact that it completely ignores the
problem. On Nokia's site, this issue doesn't even exist.
I'm mad at them!
Thank you.
13 answers Last reply
More about transfer data 7650 6600 doesn nokia give damn
  1. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

    On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 11:01:32 +0000, Jo wrote:

    > I've been trying to transfer the text messages from my Nokia 7650 to
    > my new Nokia 6600.
    > I never thought it would be SO difficult or that Nokia wouldn't even
    > care to try to provide it's customers with a solution!
    > And from my internet searches I have discovered that quite a few
    > people have had the same problem with other phone models as well.
    > I guess Nokia doesn't want us to use the phones as serious equipment.
    > It obviously thinks that we will only be using them as toys,
    > therefore, there would be no need to offer support to the users who
    > want to upgrade their phone!
    > So... basically, Nokia's answer to all these people who are having
    > this problem is: "Throw away your messages" or "Don't ever upgrade
    > your phone" or is it "Move to Sony Erickson"?
    > I don't know how to interpret the fact that it completely ignores the
    > problem. On Nokia's site, this issue doesn't even exist.
    > I'm mad at them!

    And why would you want to keep all your *old* *read* text messages ?
    Sentimental reasons perhaps ?

    Myself, I delete them once they're read and actioned.

    AFAICT most people who upgrade phones want to transfer their contacts
    obviously, and maybe some other content like ringtones, etc. And
    so upgrading rarely presents a problem.

    --
    Michael Turner

    Email (ROT13)

    zvxr.gheare1963@grfpb.arg
  2. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

    Well... besides sentimental reasons (and there are quite a few
    messages that fall into this category), I have 5 messages with data
    from different companies that I need to have handy and that I could
    presumably copy, I have about 15 messages with street addresses of
    people, I have 20 messages with specific instructions on how to get to
    places I visit maybe once a year and I want to keep them for the next
    time I need to get there. A total of 200 messages. Many of them are
    reminders of a day that something happened, and I don't think
    sentimental reasons are not valid reasons for keeping them.

    On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 11:18:49 +0000, michael turner
    <zvxr.gheare1963@grfpb.arg> wrote:


    >And why would you want to keep all your *old* *read* text messages ?
    >Sentimental reasons perhaps ?
    >
    >Myself, I delete them once they're read and actioned.
    >
    >AFAICT most people who upgrade phones want to transfer their contacts
    >obviously, and maybe some other content like ringtones, etc. And
    >so upgrading rarely presents a problem.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

    "Jo" <BB@BB.com> schreef in bericht
    news:m2t0q0hs0sr3nnsnq3ahnotfom69bn7abe@4ax.com...
    > I've been trying to transfer the text messages from my Nokia 7650 to
    > my new Nokia 6600.
    > I never thought it would be SO difficult or that Nokia wouldn't even
    > care to try to provide it's customers with a solution!
    > And from my internet searches I have discovered that quite a few
    > people have had the same problem with other phone models as well.
    > I guess Nokia doesn't want us to use the phones as serious equipment.
    > It obviously thinks that we will only be using them as toys,
    > therefore, there would be no need to offer support to the users who
    > want to upgrade their phone!
    > So... basically, Nokia's answer to all these people who are having
    > this problem is: "Throw away your messages" or "Don't ever upgrade
    > your phone" or is it "Move to Sony Erickson"?
    > I don't know how to interpret the fact that it completely ignores the
    > problem. On Nokia's site, this issue doesn't even exist.
    > I'm mad at them!
    > Thank you.
    >

    Take a look at
    http://www.symbianware.com/product.php?id=messagestorer60&pl=n6600
    With Message Storer you van easely convert your old messages in a text file
    and transfer them on another medium.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

    Thank you, but... does "message storer" convert them backwards again?
    I.e. can I then take this text file and move it to my 6600 and have it
    be converted back into individual messages?


    On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 12:39:56 +0100, "Klaas Ensing" <klaase01@home.nl>
    wrote:

    >
    >Take a look at
    >http://www.symbianware.com/product.php?id=messagestorer60&pl=n6600
    >With Message Storer you van easely convert your old messages in a text file
    >and transfer them on another medium.
    >
  5. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

    "Jo" <BB@BB.com> schreef in bericht
    news:jrv0q0le2it23mmlboud6f3v58ir2jtcv3@4ax.com...
    > Thank you, but... does "message storer" convert them backwards again?
    > I.e. can I then take this text file and move it to my 6600 and have it
    > be converted back into individual messages?

    I do not have a 7650, but on my 6600 I can send the original message by:
    Infrared, Bluetooth, E-mail en MMS

    On my 6600 I transfer files by: PC File Manager,
    http://nokia-6600-software.epocware.com/PC_File_Manager.html
    just copy & paste from/to Explorer
    It works also on a 7650, so you should also be able to do the job only with
    this program.


    >
    >
    > On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 12:39:56 +0100, "Klaas Ensing" <klaase01@home.nl>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>Take a look at
    >>http://www.symbianware.com/product.php?id=messagestorer60&pl=n6600
    >>With Message Storer you van easely convert your old messages in a text
    >>file
    >>and transfer them on another medium.
    >>
    >
  6. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

    We can suggest the following way of data synchronization:

    1) Connect your Nokia 7650 with Oxygen Phone Manager II for Symbian OS
    phones ( http://www.opm-2.com/symbian/ )
    2) Read all messages from Nokia 7650
    3) Save all messages as 'Separate files' in separate folder
    4) Close Oxygen Phone Manager II for Symbian OS phones
    5) Beam messages to Nokia 6600 using bluetooth or infrared connection

    Does this help to solve the problem?

    If you have any questions and/or suggestions, concerning our
    program, feel free to post them on our official forum
    http://www.opm-2.com/forum/

    Best regards, Maxim Vyalkov
    Oxygen Phone Manager - all you want from your Nokia
    support@oxygensoftware.com
    http://www.oxygensoftware.co.uk/
    http://www.smsactivex.com/

    Hello, Jo!
    You wrote in conference alt.cellular.nokia on Sun, 21 Nov 2004 11:01:32 GMT
    from address BB@BB.com:

    >I've been trying to transfer the text messages from my Nokia 7650 to
    >my new Nokia 6600.
    >I never thought it would be SO difficult or that Nokia wouldn't even
    >care to try to provide it's customers with a solution!
    >And from my internet searches I have discovered that quite a few
    >people have had the same problem with other phone models as well.
    >I guess Nokia doesn't want us to use the phones as serious equipment.
    >It obviously thinks that we will only be using them as toys,
    >therefore, there would be no need to offer support to the users who
    >want to upgrade their phone!
    >So... basically, Nokia's answer to all these people who are having
    >this problem is: "Throw away your messages" or "Don't ever upgrade
    >your phone" or is it "Move to Sony Erickson"?
    >I don't know how to interpret the fact that it completely ignores the
    >problem. On Nokia's site, this issue doesn't even exist.
    >I'm mad at them!
    >Thank you.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

    On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:08:37 +0300, "Oxygen Software"
    <support@oxygensoftware.com> wrote:

    >We can suggest the following way of data synchronization:
    >
    >1) Connect your Nokia 7650 with Oxygen Phone Manager II for Symbian OS
    >phones ( http://www.opm-2.com/symbian/ )
    >2) Read all messages from Nokia 7650
    >3) Save all messages as 'Separate files' in separate folder
    >4) Close Oxygen Phone Manager II for Symbian OS phones
    >5) Beam messages to Nokia 6600 using bluetooth or infrared connection

    Would these "beamed messages" turn up in the new phone as SMS messages
    or just pure text?

    I would like to back up my SMS folders (including the sender name,
    messages etc.) from my 7650 and 6260, can OPM for Symbian do that? If
    yes, you have a immediate customer here.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

    I tried everything and finally:

    http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17838

    This is the only solution that worked like a charm.
    It's tedious, but it did it!


    On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 13:21:33 +0800, Eddie Teo
    <eddieteo@nospamonline.com.sg> wrote:

    >On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:08:37 +0300, "Oxygen Software"
    ><support@oxygensoftware.com> wrote:
    >
    >>We can suggest the following way of data synchronization:
    >>
    >>1) Connect your Nokia 7650 with Oxygen Phone Manager II for Symbian OS
    >>phones ( http://www.opm-2.com/symbian/ )
    >>2) Read all messages from Nokia 7650
    >>3) Save all messages as 'Separate files' in separate folder
    >>4) Close Oxygen Phone Manager II for Symbian OS phones
    >>5) Beam messages to Nokia 6600 using bluetooth or infrared connection
    >
    >Would these "beamed messages" turn up in the new phone as SMS messages
    >or just pure text?
    >
    >I would like to back up my SMS folders (including the sender name,
    >messages etc.) from my 7650 and 6260, can OPM for Symbian do that? If
    >yes, you have a immediate customer here.
    >
  9. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

    On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 06:47:19 GMT, Jo <BB@BB.com> wrote:

    >I tried everything and finally:
    >
    >http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17838
    >
    >This is the only solution that worked like a charm.
    >It's tedious, but it did it!

    I just followed the thread, but did not post a follow-up (not
    registered).

    I am wondering if the following would work, since we are essentially
    transferring the folders and files over from phone to phone, wouldnt
    it be easier if:

    1. Have PC Suite installed, and it has backed up the 7650 using it. I
    would be able to find all files under C:\Nokia\Nokia
    7650\backup\Internal\system\Mail.

    I can then use a MMC reader (and put in my MMC card) and access and
    create the \System\Mail_tmp folder on the card and transfer all the
    files over.

    Insert back to the phone and rename (or you may rename it before
    pluggin back to your phone as well).

    I have not tested the above (would do so in a few hours), but that
    should logically work and should actually saved hours of work (by the
    way, FORWARD does not work properly with my 6260) wouldnt it?

    Comments?

    cheers,
    eddie
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

    Current version of Oxygen Phone Manager II for Symbian OS phones can restore
    messages from one phone to another in 'Notes' format only. However, message
    date, sender's name and all important info is saved and you can easily reply
    to any message or forward any message.

    Unfortunately, our software doesn't allow to restore SMS folders yet.

    We plan to implement more advanced message management in future versions of
    our software. You can monitor the development process from our official
    mail-list: http://www.oxygensoftware.com/maillist/

    If you have any questions and/or suggestions, concerning our
    program, feel free to post them on our official forum
    http://www.opm-2.com/forum/

    Best regards, Maxim Vyalkov
    Oxygen Phone Manager - all you want from your Nokia
    support@oxygensoftware.com
    http://www.oxygensoftware.co.uk/
    http://www.smsactivex.com/

    Hello, Eddie Teo!
    You wrote in conference alt.cellular.nokia on Thu, 25 Nov 2004 13:21:33
    +0800 from address eddieteo@nospamonline.com.sg:

    >On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:08:37 +0300, "Oxygen Software"
    ><support@oxygensoftware.com> wrote:

    >>We can suggest the following way of data synchronization:

    >>1) Connect your Nokia 7650 with Oxygen Phone Manager II for Symbian OS
    >>phones ( http://www.opm-2.com/symbian/ )
    >>2) Read all messages from Nokia 7650
    >>3) Save all messages as 'Separate files' in separate folder
    >>4) Close Oxygen Phone Manager II for Symbian OS phones
    >>5) Beam messages to Nokia 6600 using bluetooth or infrared connection

    >Would these "beamed messages" turn up in the new phone as SMS messages
    >or just pure text?

    >I would like to back up my SMS folders (including the sender name,
    >messages etc.) from my 7650 and 6260, can OPM for Symbian do that? If
    >yes, you have a immediate customer here.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

    "Oxygen Software" <support@oxygensoftware.com> wrote in message
    news:co77a9$2vkf$1@gavrilo.mtu.ru...
    > Current version of Oxygen Phone Manager II for Symbian OS phones can
    restore
    > messages from one phone to another in 'Notes' format only. However,
    message
    > date, sender's name and all important info is saved and you can easily
    reply
    > to any message or forward any message.
    >
    > Unfortunately, our software doesn't allow to restore SMS folders yet.
    >
    > We plan to implement more advanced message management in future versions
    of
    > our software. You can monitor the development process from our official
    > mail-list: http://www.spamoxygensoftware.com/maillist/
    >

    Or just monitor this news group and watch for the many SPAM messages from
    oxygensoftware advertising their software!!

    John..
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

    Still... I think this operation should be provided by Nokia's PC
    Suite.

    Or how about the fact that you can only transfer contact information
    from your 7650 to your 6600 but you cannot use PC suite to transfer
    the photos stored in the phone? Yes, this can be done very easily
    through bluetooth or infrared, but (since it is not recommended to
    have both PC suites installed - for 7650 and 6600 - at the same time)
    there is no way to do it through your PC.

    I find that Nokia doesn't provide for its customers that want to
    upgrade their phone.

    And I also resent the fact that these issues are completely ignored in
    Nokia's website.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.nokia (More info?)

    On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 11:29:37 GMT, Jo <BB@BB.com> wrote:

    Jo,

    >Still... I think this operation should be provided by Nokia's PC
    >Suite.
    >And I also resent the fact that these issues are completely ignored in
    >Nokia's website.

    I do agree with you fully that Nokia should treat upgrading customers
    with more care. It is not as if we are changing phones, we are
    changing from one model to another newer model. We are not even
    talking about "normal" nokia phones upgrading to Symbian OS based
    nokia phones.

    Anyhow, I have sucessfully "tranferred" my old sms from my 7650 to my
    6260. It has been a frustrating ride, but at least it works for me
    now.

    Still thinking of how to transfer the contacts without the use of a
    third party software.

    By the way, the darn PC Suite that came with my 6260 does not even
    recognizes my phone! My Bluetooth neighbourhood can see my 6260 (and
    I can tranfer files to it) and OPM II for Symbian OS can detect it
    too, but PC Suite that came with the phone couldnt find the phone! I
    really do not believe what I see, considering it should be an easy
    back-up software.

    Nokia, please listen up, forget about getting fanciful interfaces, we
    just want software that works, period.

    Lastly, Nokia Care sent me an email telling me there is NO WAY I can
    get my sms (folders and all) from my 7650 to my 6260, which I have
    proven that it is NOT true.

    cheers to all who has helped, much appreciated.


    regards,
    eddie
Ask a new question

Read More

Nokia Phones