Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Upgrading from 'Budget' PC

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 2, 2012 6:35:38 AM

Hey Guys!

I recently created my first build WAAAY back in April. I love it dearly! The time has come, for the question? Should I upgrade?

Current Specs:

CPU: AMD FX-4100
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-970a-D3
RAM: 2 x 4gbs 1600Mhz Rip Jaws G.Skill
SDD: 128GB Samsung 830 SSD (I need some help setting it up w/ OS and a few games :)  )
HDD: 1TB Seagate HDD
GPU: EVGA GTX 560
PSU: Cooler Master eXtreme 800w
Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout

Approximate Purchase Date: Some parts I am getting in December 2012. Should be done BEFORE April 2013:) 

Budget Range: MAX $1500NZD, Would like to keep it UNDER $1000NZD, Before Shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Coding, Video Editing, Watching Movies :p 

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: CPU, GPU, MOBO, CPU Fan,

Do you need to buy OS: Not that I know of!
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Mightyape.co.nz PBTech.co.nz

Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, Asus or Gigabyte Mobo,

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Yes, in the future

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Must be able to handle ANY game on Ultra. GPU must be quiet-ish under normal Load. CPU Fan must be quiet!!

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Skyrim lags when having mods and running on High. I love having everything on Ultra, which I can do, but the computer sounds like a Jet taking off. I need a faster CPU to run Starcraft 2 on Ultra, the CPU can't handle that ATM.

Thanks for checking this out and helping me! :) 

- Samo

More about : upgrading budget

a c 105 B Homebuilt system
November 2, 2012 6:50:42 AM

Dont see any need to jump to Intel, it will be cheaper to stick with AMD for the time being. To jump to Intel will require a new CPU, mobo (and OS if its an OEM) and you would be moving onto a near dead platform anyway.

CPU: FX-8350. $290 NZ
http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=CPUAMD8350&name=AMD...
Around equivalent to a 3570k in gaming performance.

CPU cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO. $49 NZ
http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=FANCLM0213&name=COO...
Great budget air cooler.

Sapphire HD7970. $569 NZ
http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=VGASAP7973&name=Sap...

Total: $908 NZ
Well under budget!
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 2, 2012 8:14:41 AM

Plus the FX8350 is quite brilliant.
m
0
l
Related resources
November 2, 2012 8:39:01 AM

Sounds like manofchalk has a great list there. I especially commend the 7970.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 2, 2012 8:54:58 AM

upgrade the video card only. it will be the biggest single thing that will really improve your system. other stuff will only have extremely minimal gains.

gtx660 on up......... 2gig vram card. the 560 is a dog.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 2, 2012 9:48:11 AM

I'd definitely prefer a HD7870 over the 660, which are at the moment priced the same.

Anyway since the OP is quite willing to go up to 1k I'd say manofchalk's upgrade is brilliant for him.
m
0
l
November 2, 2012 6:27:58 PM

manofchalk said:
Dont see any need to jump to Intel, it will be cheaper to stick with AMD for the time being. To jump to Intel will require a new CPU, mobo (and OS if its an OEM) and you would be moving onto a near dead platform anyway.

CPU: FX-8350. $290 NZ
http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=CPUAMD8350&name=AMD...
Around equivalent to a 3570k in gaming performance.

CPU cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO. $49 NZ
http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=FANCLM0213&name=COO...
Great budget air cooler.

Sapphire HD7970. $569 NZ
http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=VGASAP7973&name=Sap...

Total: $908 NZ
Well under budget!


What order would you recommend me buying them in? Also, is the 7970 Loud? I have heard reviews that it can get loud, shouldn't I then go with an Asus 7970 DirectCUII? I heard they're silent!

Thanks for the Advice Guys!
- Samo
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 2, 2012 6:35:34 PM

You should buy them all at once.

Nah I don't think the Sapphire is any more loud than Asus.
m
0
l
November 2, 2012 6:39:01 PM

Would a 670 be better or am I better to stick with a 7970. I would like to setup a Multi Monitor setup eventually, so Eyefinity is a plus.

- Samo
m
0
l
November 2, 2012 6:45:49 PM

670 has a better price to performance ratio, imo. But if you like ATI better than Nvidia, the choice is clear.
m
0
l
November 2, 2012 6:53:03 PM

The 7970 is faster with the newest drivers in many games. I would go with that especially if you are going to run multiple monitors in the future. Get that SSD going, it will increase performance dramatically. I finally made the jump to them this summer and absolutely love the difference.
m
0
l
November 2, 2012 6:55:14 PM

Which 670 would you recommend and why, also, how good are nVidia cards at multiscreen setups? I have seen amazing builds with 7970's in 3D. How does a 670 compare?
m
0
l
November 2, 2012 7:07:37 PM

There's a $33NZD Difference between an Asus 670 DirectCUII and an Asus 7970 Direct CUII TOP. I personally prefer the Asus 670 because 1, I prefer Nvidia (Have never tried Ati but would like to :p  ) 2, I won't be using a Multi monitor setup for a while 3, 6** Supposedly runs quiter than 7***. GPU Aside. What could I benefit from upgrading to an AMD FX-8350 over my FX-4100? I don't do video editing, yet, but in the New Year/December I will be. Since the 970 is a slower chipset, should I also upgrade Mobo to??

Great advice so far! Thanks Guys!
- Samo
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 2, 2012 7:10:02 PM

you don;t need to upgrade anything else. these guys are just trying to spend your money.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 2, 2012 7:15:21 PM

swifty_morgan said:
upgrade the video card only. it will be the biggest single thing that will really improve your system. other stuff will only have extremely minimal gains.

gtx660 on up......... 2gig vram card. the 560 is a dog.


For *most* games, a gpu upgrade will give you more performance than a CPU upgrade. But I feel that this discussion is ignoring the OP's comments....

Given that the OP is talking about Skyrim and Starcraft 2 (two games that are very *CPU* intensive), why is the discussion focused almost solely on GPU upgrades?
m
0
l
November 2, 2012 7:25:56 PM

quilciri said:
For *most* games, a gpu upgrade will give you more performance than a CPU upgrade. But I feel that this discussion is ignoring the OP's comments....

Given that the OP is talking about Skyrim and Starcraft 2 (two games that are very *CPU* intensive), why is the discussion focused almost solely on GPU upgrades?


I do agreed. Although, I do in fact need a better performance wise GPU, on any intensive games I can't tell whether it's my CPU Fan or the GPU Fan. Both get quiet loud when under load unfortunately :/  I have been looking at getting an i5 3570K or i7 3770K with an Asus Z77 Sabertooth Mobo.

Thanks again!
- Samo
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 2, 2012 7:47:26 PM

quilciri said:
For *most* games, a gpu upgrade will give you more performance than a CPU upgrade. But I feel that this discussion is ignoring the OP's comments....

Given that the OP is talking about Skyrim and Starcraft 2 (two games that are very *CPU* intensive), why is the discussion focused almost solely on GPU upgrades?



well in that case lets not give him a "similar' performing processor. let's give him an honest upgrade and have him move to an i5 set up. THAT would be the only logical processor "upgrade" path to take.
m
0
l
November 2, 2012 8:32:55 PM

What Intel CPU would you recommend then?

- Samo
m
0
l
November 3, 2012 6:16:34 AM

Whats better for what I'm doing, an i5 3570K, i7 3770K or FX-81**
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 3, 2012 6:45:16 AM

that would mean buying another mother board and different ram.......... why waste all that extra money on stuff you don't really need. that's my gripe about the other amd processor. you don't need another processor. the video card is enough. if after that you think you need upgrades it's time to save money and sit and wait until this time next year. by then all the new stuff will be out and the current stuff will be eol.
m
0
l
November 3, 2012 7:16:00 AM

swifty_morgan said:
that would mean buying another mother board and different ram.......... why waste all that extra money on stuff you don't really need. that's my gripe about the other amd processor. you don't need another processor. the video card is enough. if after that you think you need upgrades it's time to save money and sit and wait until this time next year. by then all the new stuff will be out and the current stuff will be eol.


Okay perfectly good advice :)  I'm thinking about getting an Asus 670 Direct CUII. It's $23 cheaper than a 7970 Direct CUII. I think I'm going to get the 670 only because of the noise factor. I don't need to do Multi Screen Setups yet. I will one day though :) 

- Samo
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 3, 2012 1:24:45 PM

The 7970 is significantly more powerful and well worth $23.
m
0
l
November 3, 2012 4:37:27 PM

FinneousPJ said:
The 7970 is significantly more powerful and well worth $23.


Are there any 'quiet' versions on the 7970? BTW The $23 more is for and Asus 7970 Direct CUII.

- Samo
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 3, 2012 5:02:22 PM

Yeah that should be quiet.
m
0
l
November 3, 2012 5:38:50 PM

Okay. Hmm. I think I'll get the Asus 670 only because of has my eye on it for a while and it does seem good. When I need 2 or more screens, 7970 is the way to go.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 3, 2012 6:14:50 PM

i think you can run 4 screens of the 670 if you had to.
m
0
l
November 3, 2012 6:34:36 PM

swifty_morgan said:
i think you can run 4 screens of the 670 if you had to.


True. Wouldn't it be better to SLI them and have 2 screens off of one GPU?

- Samo
m
0
l
November 3, 2012 8:37:12 PM

I'm not sure if you have decided yet but I think you will need to upgrade your CPU to a I5 2500 or better. You will be walking the bottleneck line with your currant CPU if you go with a GTX 670 or a HD 7970. If you are going to go with a eyefinity or a surround setup you might want to look into a 3 or 4 GB card. And you will most likley end up with crossfire or sli. I have had both and IMO nvidia was the way to go. I have GTX 670 4gb in SLI and run 3 monitor surround and it's a beast.
m
0
l
November 3, 2012 8:47:38 PM

ajl2011shooter said:
I'm not sure if you have decided yet but I think you will need to upgrade your CPU to a I5 2500 or better. You will be walking the bottleneck line with your currant CPU if you go with a GTX 670 or a HD 7970. If you are going to go with a eyefinity or a surround setup you might want to look into a 3 or 4 GB card. And you will most likley end up with crossfire or sli. I have had both and IMO nvidia was the way to go. I have GTX 670 4gb in SLI and run 3 monitor surround and it's a beast.


I see you Have an i7 3770K. How does it run w/ your 2 670's?

- Samo
m
0
l
a c 105 B Homebuilt system
November 3, 2012 10:55:17 PM

samotage said:
What order would you recommend me buying them in? Also, is the 7970 Loud? I have heard reviews that it can get loud, shouldn't I then go with an Asus 7970 DirectCUII? I heard they're silent!

Thanks for the Advice Guys!
- Samo


All at once if possible. If you buy them separately, 7970, then FX-8350 and 212 EVO.

The GPU itself doesn't determine how loud it is, but the cooling solution attached. You will have to read up reviews on the card to determine how loud it is.
Would avoid ASUS. They are often quite expensive compared to the competition and the ASUS 7970 takes up triple slots for no real benefit to cooling or noise reduction.
m
0
l
November 4, 2012 9:49:48 PM

samotage said:
I see you Have an i7 3770K. How does it run w/ your 2 670's?

- Samo

My gpu's are slightly overclocked and my cpu is stock speeds and my gpu's are running at full usage so I have no bottleneck at all. Like I said in my post it's a beast setup.
m
0
l
November 5, 2012 1:23:39 AM

ajl2011shooter said:
My gpu's are slightly overclocked and my cpu is stock speeds and my gpu's are running at full usage so I have no bottleneck at all. Like I said in my post it's a beast setup.


What Brand of 670's did you get?

- Samo
m
0
l
November 5, 2012 10:17:05 AM

I got the EVGA GTX 670 SC 4gb.
m
0
l
!