Upgrading from 'Budget' PC

samotage

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
Hey Guys!

I recently created my first build WAAAY back in April. I love it dearly! The time has come, for the question? Should I upgrade?

Current Specs:

CPU: AMD FX-4100
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-970a-D3
RAM: 2 x 4gbs 1600Mhz Rip Jaws G.Skill
SDD: 128GB Samsung 830 SSD (I need some help setting it up w/ OS and a few games :) )
HDD: 1TB Seagate HDD
GPU: EVGA GTX 560
PSU: Cooler Master eXtreme 800w
Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout

Approximate Purchase Date: Some parts I am getting in December 2012. Should be done BEFORE April 2013:)

Budget Range: MAX $1500NZD, Would like to keep it UNDER $1000NZD, Before Shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Coding, Video Editing, Watching Movies :p

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: CPU, GPU, MOBO, CPU Fan,

Do you need to buy OS: Not that I know of!
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Mightyape.co.nz PBTech.co.nz

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, Asus or Gigabyte Mobo,

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Yes, in the future

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Must be able to handle ANY game on Ultra. GPU must be quiet-ish under normal Load. CPU Fan must be quiet!!

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Skyrim lags when having mods and running on High. I love having everything on Ultra, which I can do, but the computer sounds like a Jet taking off. I need a faster CPU to run Starcraft 2 on Ultra, the CPU can't handle that ATM.

Thanks for checking this out and helping me! :)

- Samo

Dont see any need to jump to Intel, it will be cheaper to stick with AMD for the time being. To jump to Intel will require a new CPU, mobo (and OS if its an OEM) and you would be moving onto a near dead platform anyway.

CPU: FX-8350. $290 NZ
http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=CPUAMD8350&name=AMD-FX-8350-Eight-Core-4.0Ghz-16MB-Cache-Socket-AM
Around equivalent to a 3570k in gaming performance.

CPU cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO. $49 NZ
http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=FANCLM0213&name=COOLER-MASTER-HYPER-212-EVO-COOLER-120mm-PWM-Fan-4
Great budget air cooler.

Sapphire HD7970. $569 NZ
http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=VGASAP7973&name=Sapphire-HD7970-3G-OC-Version-PCI-E-3.0-Dual-fan-V

Total: $908 NZ
Well under budget!

samotage

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012

What order would you recommend me buying them in? Also, is the 7970 Loud? I have heard reviews that it can get loud, shouldn't I then go with an Asus 7970 DirectCUII? I heard they're silent!

Thanks for the Advice Guys!
- Samo

The 7970 is faster with the newest drivers in many games. I would go with that especially if you are going to run multiple monitors in the future. Get that SSD going, it will increase performance dramatically. I finally made the jump to them this summer and absolutely love the difference.

samotage

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
There's a $33NZD Difference between an Asus 670 DirectCUII and an Asus 7970 Direct CUII TOP. I personally prefer the Asus 670 because 1, I prefer Nvidia (Have never tried Ati but would like to :p ) 2, I won't be using a Multi monitor setup for a while 3, 6** Supposedly runs quiter than 7***. GPU Aside. What could I benefit from upgrading to an AMD FX-8350 over my FX-4100? I don't do video editing, yet, but in the New Year/December I will be. Since the 970 is a slower chipset, should I also upgrade Mobo to??

Great advice so far! Thanks Guys!
- Samo

For *most* games, a gpu upgrade will give you more performance than a CPU upgrade. But I feel that this discussion is ignoring the OP's comments....

Given that the OP is talking about Skyrim and Starcraft 2 (two games that are very *CPU* intensive), why is the discussion focused almost solely on GPU upgrades?

samotage

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012

I do agreed. Although, I do in fact need a better performance wise GPU, on any intensive games I can't tell whether it's my CPU Fan or the GPU Fan. Both get quiet loud when under load unfortunately :/ I have been looking at getting an i5 3570K or i7 3770K with an Asus Z77 Sabertooth Mobo.

Thanks again!
- Samo

well in that case lets not give him a "similar' performing processor. let's give him an honest upgrade and have him move to an i5 set up. THAT would be the only logical processor "upgrade" path to take.

that would mean buying another mother board and different ram.......... why waste all that extra money on stuff you don't really need. that's my gripe about the other amd processor. you don't need another processor. the video card is enough. if after that you think you need upgrades it's time to save money and sit and wait until this time next year. by then all the new stuff will be out and the current stuff will be eol.

samotage

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012

Okay perfectly good advice :) I'm thinking about getting an Asus 670 Direct CUII. It's $23 cheaper than a 7970 Direct CUII. I think I'm going to get the 670 only because of the noise factor. I don't need to do Multi Screen Setups yet. I will one day though :)

- Samo

samotage

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012

Are there any 'quiet' versions on the 7970? BTW The $23 more is for and Asus 7970 Direct CUII.

- Samo