I7 6core build help

dan1331

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
Hi thanks for the help! I am very concerned with what motherboard, ram, and monitors and a little concerned with which video card. Any help would be very much appreciated.

I see a lot of people suggesting a quad core processor in threads where people have requested build help with a 6 core. Please, it has an effect on the motherboard you chose and honestly unless you are going to tell me the 2 extra cores slow it down I am buying the 6core even if it isn't financially worth it. I want a solid state drive to boot from and then two 3TB serial drives unless you think they suck, then I'll take three 2TB drives.

Approximate Purchase Date: this week
Budget Range: $2500-$4000
System Usage from Most to Least Important: windows 7 work machine, potential gaming, never watching movies
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com
Overclocking: No
SLI: 1 card that supports it so I can add another if I start gaming hardcore

This part I'm sure of:
CPU: 3.2GHz Intel Core i7-3930K - $569.99

Unless you blow my mind with something unimaginable I'm getting this parts:
Case: COOLER MASTER CM Storm - $149.99
Optical: 2 LG Blu Ray Burner - $69.99 x 2

Please HELP:

I'm ebarrased to admit to being this tacky but I think this thing looks neat and I don't mind fan noise (seems to be the biggest reason I hear for liquid cooling): Dorky fan controller - $47.99. Although, the colors are wrong for my case and I like my case much much more. Maybe I need to forget about this. Got any substitute bling ideas?

Monitor: I have two samsung syncmaster 214t. I kinda lucked into monitors this good because I don't know what I'm looking for. These looked way better than the previous 17" or 19" I had and that really surprised me since they were Syncmaster too. Now they are almost 5 years old and in need of a 2nd round of repairs. I see much sharper better looking monitors now and I think I'll buy 2 new ones instead of repairing these but I don't know what to buy. I like to use 4:3 monitors when using duals but I don't see any that are HD and BIG. I considered the 27" tempered glass widescreen monitors that everyone seems to love for their price (YAMAKASI, Achieva, Crossover). THIS SAMSUNG Looks like the same panel but it doesn't say IPS or HD. If it is the same it would be slightly cheaper after shipping and I much prefer the brand. I own more Samsung products than anything else in my house by far. But I much prefer 4:3 and if you know any totally bad ass ones that are big I could easily spend $1600 on the pair.

Also what should I be looking for to know they are way more bad ass than what I currently have. What is IPS? I read something about a 20" dell 4:3 being available in a IPS version now. Are monitors regulalrly upgraded and kept with the same model number? If so I probably want to buy the same Samsung syncmaster 214t in new bad ass version. I really love them.

Video: 1 card that supports SLI so I can add another if I start gaming hardcore
PSU? (6 cores, 1 sli card with option to add 1 later, SSD, 3-4 HD, 2 optical drives
Cooler? (that works with the dorky fan control preferably :)
mobo?
ram? (32gb with room to expand to 64gb - whats the deal with voltages?)
SSD? (256GB isn't there only 1 that performs well?)
HD (2x3tb or 3x2tb)

Much much much thanks!

brandon402

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
For the 3930k cpu you want an X79 motherboard, here is an Asus one, but you probably want to look through the X79s to make sure the mobo fits your needs. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131855
Here is some memory that would go great with that board http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233368

You will want a 750watt power supply, preferably gold certified and modular or semi-modular.

A Samsung 830 series 256gb ssd is a good one to get.

There are a lot of cpu coolers out there that all for the most part do a good job, it's mostly personal preference. Brands to look at are Coolermaster, Zalman, Noctua, etc. The cooler's fan is plugged into the spot where the normal heatsink fan (CPU fan) would go, so it will be controllable.

For graphic cards there is the choice between Nvidia and AMD. A GeForce GTX 680 or Radeon 7970 would be good higher end choices. If you don't do 3d modeling or rendering, the 7970 would probably be the better choice. Nvidias are SLI and AMDs are Crossfire (their names for using more than one graphics card). So if you want to use SLI you would want a GTX 670 or 680 for example.

6 TB seems like an awful lot of storage, unless you're downloading lots of videos and movies you don't need nowhere near that much. I would start with the 256gb SSD and a 1TB HDD and can always add another HDD later if you need it.

I don't know much about monitors so I won't go there, but I hope this helps you a little!

jackspeed

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
You should figure out which monitor you like and get it then deduct it from the cost to build the comp.

I see a lot of people suggesting a quad core processor in threads where people have requested build help with a 6 core.

This is because for gaming there is no noticeable difference between the 6 core and the 4 core i7. The 4 core i7 is $240 cheaper and the motherboards are also cheaper a lot cheaper. granted there are some bonuses to the lga 2011.

Noctua is a great cooler company. Also 2 blu ray burners seems excessive but if its what you want then go for it, although what are you going to do with them if you never watch movies?

My vote for the gpu would be the cheaper of the 7970 or the gtx 680.

100% agree. There should really be no difference in performance.

Fast=Fast.

dan1331

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
ok ok if I go with a Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 2011 4 core whats the fastest bus speeds that are usable? what mobo and ram do I get?

PANZER4

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
What do you mean? No, I'm just trying to help-and it's true, they are identical except the quad core has two core switched of from the 6 core, plus a little L3 cache, but that's it. Maybe you misunderstood? I meant the post above it and I forgot to quote it, just trying to help
Edit-forgot to quote you agin

dan1331

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
in a post above Jackspeed said the motherboards being cheaper (I assumed he meant same quality or else it goes without saying) was 1 of the 3 reasons to switch to the 4 core (the other 2 being cheaper cpu price and negligible performance increase from the 2 extra cores). Seems like picking a different motherboard would be important.

I also have no idea how to get the fastest bus speed. What do I buy, what can be overclocked? I like it when my PC feels very zippy. I mean responsive. I think bus speeds influence this a lot.

PANZER4

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
Nah, you can pretty much ignore bus speeds, what WILL make a difference is an SSD-everything on an SSD has load times that you wouldn't even notice.
By the way, the i7 3820 uses socket LGA2011, I think your mixing it up with the i7 3770, which is socket LGA 1155. They are different sockets. LGA 1155 motherboards are cheaper, but there is no upgrade path now past ivy bridge
Tip: If you want to upgrade in the future, go for socket LGA 2011, because ivy bridge (3rd gen- eg i7 3770) is the last processor for LGA 1155, whereas LGA 2011 is supposed to last till next year at least, and probably longer

dan1331

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2012
I have never upgraded the CPU of a pc, I just buy a new one at that time.

So he was suggesting I use a different 4 core CPU and I missed it and the 1155 mobos are cheaper. Hmm. He states there are some bonuses to the lga 2011 so you must be right. Other than upgradability you dont see any bonuses?

I know bus speeds meant a lot one time in a past upgrade. When I went from an intel with rambus to a better intel pc with ddr it was "faster" in longer processes after it got going but it was damn sluggish at the beginning of everything. I want the opposite.

PANZER4

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
Nah, I'm certain bus speed does not affect general usage, and if it did, it would be VERY minor. The main benefits of 2011 are quad channel memory controller I.e 4 memory modules running on a single channel, giving it a higher bandwidth vs dual channel memory controller in 1155, but that only affects productivity tasks that need so much bandwidth, for general use its overkill and wholly unnecessary. Other benefits are like I said, with easy upgradability to a more powerful processor, and up to 6 cores for it, vs the top Ivy bridge processor i7 3770, which has 4. I think those are the most quantifiable benefits, and I can't think of anything else

This would not explain why they take different motherboard types.....

EDIT: Sorry if that sounds like...mean...because I'm really not trying to...its just late and I'm answering my threads before I go to sleep :)

Well, where I am, its 2:30 A.M.

And I know they have different types of motherboards and such (I'm not that stupid). I'm just saying if it just has 2 cores disabled, there would be no need to come out with a new socket for the better processors.