Sign in with
Your question

Comparing a desktop NVIDIA GPU to a desktop AMD GPU. NEED HELP!

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • GPUs
  • Desktops
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 5, 2012 11:53:47 PM

Hey everyone.

There are two graphics cards I'm looking at right now for DX9 and DX10 gaming.

The two graphics cards:
- Sapphire Radeon HD 3870 X2 (dual-GPU) 1GB GDDR3
- ASUS (OEM) GT 520 1GB GDDR3

MY QUESTIONS ARE:
- Which graphics card is better for gaming?

- At medium/high settings, what kind of FPS should I expect to get out of the HD 3870 X2 from games like Skyrim, BF3, Crysis 2, and NFS: The Run?

- Are there any graphics card today that can be compared to the SAPPHIRE RADEON HD 3870 X2?

- If so, which ones are they?

***PLEASE DON'T TELL ME TO GO OUT AND BUY A BETTER GRAPHICS CARD THAN THE TWO I'VE LISTED HERE IN THIS QUESTION. PLEASE DON'T JUST REFER ME TO THE HEIRARCHY CHART!! ALL I'M TRYING TO FIGURE OUT IS WHICH GRAPHICS CARD IS BETTER!! THAT'S IT!! I REALIZE THAT THERE ARE BETTER GRAPHICS CARDS OUT THERE!!***

More about : comparing desktop nvidia gpu desktop amd gpu

a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2012 12:05:19 AM

You are told to go to the heirarchy chart cause itll tell you in tiers which one is better. No one is gonna be able to tell you what FPS youll get. To get acceptable FPS in any games you listed youd have to run either one of those at 720p with low settings. They are both very low end cards. Neither one of those cards will run any of those games at high or medium settings unless you are running a very low resolution.
m
l
September 6, 2012 12:21:30 AM

vrumor said:
You are told to go to the heirarchy chart cause itll tell you in tiers which one is better. No one is gonna be able to tell you what FPS youll get. To get acceptable FPS in any games you listed youd have to run either one of those at 720p with low settings. They are both very low end cards. Neither one of those cards will run any of those games at high or medium settings unless you are running a very low resolution.

This.

The hierarchy chart is there for a reason. The GT 520 is a garbage card and it's 11 tiers below the 3870x2. If you can't figure out which one is better from that information, then I don't think anyone can help you.

It looks to be similar to a 7750. Don't know why you have this apparent hate for the hierarchy chart... it's not there to trick you.
m
l
Related resources
September 6, 2012 12:30:30 AM

BigMack70 said:
This.

The hierarchy chart is there for a reason. The GT 520 is a garbage card and it's 11 tiers below the 3870x2. If you can't figure out which one is better from that information, then I don't think anyone can help you.

It looks to be similar to a 7750. Don't know why you have this apparent hate for the hierarchy chart... it's not there to trick you.

I don't hate the hierarchy chart, I just wanted some possible real-life experience responses with using the 3870 X2. I should've re-worded my question differently... Maybe I'll go do that.
m
l
September 6, 2012 12:32:28 AM

Either way, if you're comparing it to a GT 520, the 3870x2 is gonna come out on top... it could be an awful card and be better than a GT 520.

The GT 520 is not worth any amount of money at all for gaming... it's really, really bad.
m
l
September 6, 2012 1:14:38 AM

- Are there any graphics card today that can be compared to the SAPPHIRE RADEON HD 3870 X2?

-LMFAO
m
l
a c 198 U Graphics card
September 6, 2012 2:07:01 AM

If you have the 3870X2 already, then use it. But if not, then don't waste the money on it. There are much better options.

But the 3870 is much much faster than the 520.

What power supply are you running?
m
l
September 6, 2012 3:19:53 AM

Deemo13 said:
If you have the 3870X2 already, then use it. But if not, then don't waste the money on it. There are much better options.

But the 3870 is much much faster than the 520.

What power supply are you running?

If I were to buy the 3870 X2, I would most certainly buy at least a 650-700W PSU, considering the 3870 X2 uses between 320-380 watts at full load.
m
l
September 6, 2012 3:20:34 AM

asalikus said:

-LMFAO

It's a simple question...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2012 3:39:55 AM

2777354,1,1347574 said:

- If so, which ones are they?

quotemsg]

I realize that you said not to refer you to the Graphics Card Heiarchy Chart, but I'm gonna do it anyway because according to that the Radeon HD 5750, HD 6750, HD 7750 and the Nvidia GTS 450 all offer similar performance to the Radeon HD 3870 X2. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car... Additionally, all of those cards have Direct X 11 support while the HD 3870 does not. All of the newer cards can be purchased for about the same amount of money as well and will cost less money to use because the power consumption is much less for a single card not to mention the difference that newer tech makes in regard to power usage.
m
l
September 7, 2012 8:49:27 PM

Yup, it's pretty easy. :)  ( xD )
firinmylazerman said:
It's a simple question...

m
l
!