Sign in with
Your question

Help with choosing GPU for AMD media PC

Last response: in Systems
November 2, 2012 8:59:21 AM

Hi everybody, I am looking for advice on my 1st attempt to build my own pc for media work not gaming. I already have the following parts

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ AMD 990FX SB950 DDR3 ATX TUF R2.0

CPU: AMD FX8-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8 Core AM3+ 4.0GHz 16MB 125W

I would love some advice on what GPU to buy as the more I read about them the more confused I seem to get with the technology.

I alreay have 2 Dell E228WFP Monitors which need to run of the GPU and maybe a total of 3 monitors in the future.

Approximate Purchase Date: November - December 2012

Budget Range: £850 - £950

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Adobe After Effects CS5/CS6, Adobe Prem Pro CS5/CS6, 3DS MAX 2012, MAXON C4D R13 with V-ray, internet and gaming not required as purely a media build.

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website for Parts: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/index.php

Parts Preferences: No preference

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Yes / No / Maybe ......I have not read up on SLI or Crossfire.

Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050

Thanks in advance guys/girls for any advice on my new pc build ;-)

More about : choosing gpu amd media

November 2, 2012 10:55:11 AM

How does this strike you? Should have enough money left over for a case of your choice.

MB - Existing
CPU - Existing
CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 Evo
-That FX8-8350 has some headroom to overclock. Even more so with an aftermarket CPU cooler.
GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 670
-CUDA cores will help you the most in Adobe. Typically this choice is an Nvidia card...
MEM - Corsair 8GB DDR3-1600 CL9 1.5v
SSD - Samsung 830 256GB
HD - Seagate 2TB
OPTICAL - Samsung 24x DVD-RW
PSU - Corsair 650w

November 2, 2012 11:18:29 AM

For Adobe CS6 you can happily get benefit from OPENCL , allowing you to use either Nvidia GPU or a AMD GPU
Related resources
November 3, 2012 9:26:22 AM

Thanks so much for the advice guys, can't wait to build this thing ;-)
November 3, 2012 10:06:04 AM

Just a couple more questions guys ;-)

How many coolers do I need (Hyper 212 Evo ) and is there anything else I need to keep the temps down?

If I wanted 16g's of mem should I just buy 2 sets of Corsair 8GB DDR3-1600 CL9 1.5v for the build to use mem efficiently.

I am not bothered about the case having neon and any other visual enhancements ,just want the system to run cool and quiet so what case would you guys recommend. Does not have to be from overclockers uk, any place in UK is fine.

...........Annnnd that gpu card is awesome, thanks for the recommendation

Cheers

!