Please review this new build for gaming!

rladngus

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
This is the first time I've ever built my own custom PC. I'm putting together this build for gaming primarily, and very basic video editing / rendering / uploading to YouTube as a hobby.

My budget is around ~$1,100 (give or take $100)

Please note: This is a brand new build from the ground-up with new research being done into becoming more familiar with the parts. I'm not upgrading an old system - or any system or sub-system for that matter. Therefore, with the budget I currently have, I wasn't afraid to put aside a little extra cash for slightly better performance. If you really can't justify the extra performance for the higher price compared to a previous generation, please do let me know!!

2nd note: if you know of a deal through which I can purchase the same or largely similar part (performance-wise. I'm not worried about brand-loyalty) for less $$$ - I would appreciate it very much if you could share that info here!! :)

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155

Internal Storage: Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F180GBGT-BK 2.5" 180GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Radioactive 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model 997006

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

GPU: EVGA 02G-P4-2680-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

3rd note: I was going to pick a power supplier as well, but that bit is quite confusing. I am not sure if I should get a power supplier that supplies the exact amount of voltage my system consumes or supplies a little over it or if it's okay to get one that supplies well above the amount my system consumes (though that probably won't be wise as it'll be wasting away precious electricity, right?). I would appreciate some recommendations or helpful tips in picking out the right power supply.

4th note: QUESTION!! Is a soundcard really necessary for the most optimal gaming experience? Or can it be safely ignored? (I listen to music in MP3 format at 320kbps quality and I don't consider myself an audiophobe. Should I still be worried about a soundcard for my system?)

Thank you all very much for your time and consideration!!

Solution
CPU - Fine and all, but only if you are going to overclock. If not, then look for a non-K model.

CPU COOLER - Hyper 212 EVO - $32

SSD - The M4 256GB is a great drive and is only a few $ more than the Corsair 180GB.
Crucial M4 256GB - $200

GPU - Not sure what resolution you are gaming at or the titles, but you might be able to drop to a GTX 670. The video editing wont suffer and would save some cash.

PSU - That MB will support dual GPUs so if you were to plan for it later, a 750w PSU would be a good choice. If you don't plan on going with dual GPUs, then a 550w unit will suffice. Stick with Antec, Corsair, XFX or Seasonic. Look for whom ever is offering rebates...

AUDIO - Stick with the onboard audio. It'll be just...
CPU - Fine and all, but only if you are going to overclock. If not, then look for a non-K model.

CPU COOLER - Hyper 212 EVO - $32

SSD - The M4 256GB is a great drive and is only a few $ more than the Corsair 180GB.
Crucial M4 256GB - $200

GPU - Not sure what resolution you are gaming at or the titles, but you might be able to drop to a GTX 670. The video editing wont suffer and would save some cash.

PSU - That MB will support dual GPUs so if you were to plan for it later, a 750w PSU would be a good choice. If you don't plan on going with dual GPUs, then a 550w unit will suffice. Stick with Antec, Corsair, XFX or Seasonic. Look for whom ever is offering rebates...

AUDIO - Stick with the onboard audio. It'll be just fine.

Solution

rladngus

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012

Can't remember exactly what the max resolution on my monitor is (not home at the moment. I am one of the millions affected by Sandy. Thankfully, though, I only lost electricity. My condolences to those who've lost their homes). I think it may be a bit higher than 1440x900. In either case, I'm trying to future-proof my system as much as possible with the given budget. As for the titles... I never owned a console after PS1 and all the PC's I ever had were outdated by at least 2 generations. So I intend to play all the latest and baddest games the industry has to offer to see what I've been missing! Would you still recommend the GTX 670?

BTW Thanks a lot for the tip on the CPU :p. I am a total noob in computer hardware so I won't be trying any overclocking any time soon. Definitely later when I have a bit more experience in the field.