• Graphics Cards
  • GPUs
  • Computer
  • Processors
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 6, 2012 12:34:24 AM

Hi,

So I'm looking for some upgrading advice. I've recently been thinking about upgrading my GPU but not sure what my limit is when picking out a new GPU.

My computer specs are as follows:

Motherboard: XFX NFORCE 680I LT SLI INTEL SOCKET 775 DDR2

Processor: Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q6600 (8M Cache, 2.40 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB)

RAM: 4GB (2GB x2) DDR2-667

PSU: Cooler Master 1000W

Currently running: 2 x 8800GTS SLI

It's been a while since I've upgraded my computer so not too sure what my systems specs will allow me to upgrade my GPU to, thats why I'm here. I plan on playing games mainly, so looking something powerful that could run almost near perfect settings with good framerate would be ideal.

Thanks in advance!

More about : upgrading gpu

September 6, 2012 1:34:12 AM

Well, you can buy a GTX670 but CPU would be a bottleneck. Any high-end graphics you buy will probably make bottleneck. You have to tell me your budget and the resolution of your screen so that I can suggest you more video cards if you want the minimum bottleneck you should get either HD7770, HD6850 or HD6870 $135-$180. If you want to upgrade your CPU and motherboard that's a hole another story. 7770 is a little good at modern games and 68xx series are a little better on some older games came out in 2009 and some 2011 maybe. Overall for a CPU like that, I recommend you to get the HD7770 because of the least bottleneck, upcoming drivers and games that will come out in the future. The best graphics card
your PC will handle if you buy a better card than 7770 or the 68xx series your CPU will definitely bottleneck. Hope this helps! :) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2012 1:44:37 AM

if you are going to get something like a 7870, 660ti or a 670, id get it first for now but upgrade the entire rig within the next month or 2. you wont enjoy the power of a new video card as well as if you can get a new CPU given the q6600 is the bottleneck (not really given it still performs like a pentium g620 which is still better than fx)
m
l
September 7, 2012 2:10:52 AM

In fact you can build a great PC for $700 by using some of the parts you have like accessories, the case and the power supply. But you sure need to change your motherboard, video card and CPU :) . You choose, if you are struggling to buy the parts I will give you great suggestions!
m
l
!