If the Radeon 7450 is so bad, what's with these videos?

JunkManGroomp

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
I keep hearing the 7450 is "so bad," but yet I found these.

Battlefield 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddqTGi2Wueo

Skyrim: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TuN7WZGfrk

And Crysis 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYAmEDYHtT8 (the uploader asserts that the lag is a result of FRAPS, not the game itself)

These videos show games with this card running at least at Xbox 360 levels, and comparisons of this card's specs with that of the 360 show it's actually both better than the same in some ways.

So yeah... if this card's "so bad," then why do these videos make it look so good to a PC gamer newbie like me?

Hiii

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
I think that not all games are gonna run on the highest settings (this may not be a problem for everyone, like me) and it is less future proofed than others, i guess it's gonna struggle with new games soon.

JunkManGroomp

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
I probably should explain a few things.

For one, I couldn't make a custom rig, I had to go with pre-built. Guy at Best Buy said this is the best I can get as far as pre-built goes. It's also got an AMD FX-6120, which seems to rank pretty well on that "benchmark" site everyone likes to use (it's only below i7 processors, and a few of the more high end i5s). I don't really wanna explain why I couldn't go custom. <_<

Anyway, the thing is this, I'm not looking for a "can play Crysis at Ultra settings" kind of thing. I just wanna know if this card can at least give me graphics akin to what you can find on Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3. I know it's not very future proof, and I'll try and upgrade one day when I can afford it, but will this card at least do me fine right now for games like Team Fortress 2, Portal 2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Skyrim, and Dead Island? (for reference, I've seen people running these games on older 5450 cards pretty decently)

You couldn't make a custom rig? Are you saying you don't have the skill? Because its alot easier than people think it is. Its mainly like an electric Lego set.

But I won't pester you about it. If you are going to get a pre-built from BestBuy, what I would recommend is the cheapest thing you can find from HP or Dell that comes with any sort of i5, which is a great processor for gaming. Just the cheapest one you can find. Preferably an i5-3450 or i5-2400, maybe even an i5-2300 or something.

Then, go online and find a 7750, like so:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161403

And put it in the computer. Its much better than the 7450. And you'd have to be retarded to not be able to know how to install it. You just need a screwdriver.

Smeg45

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012
31FPS is not playable. Its a mess. FPS will drop (the nature of PC gaming) and then you are in the mid 20's and everything stutters. You are not gaming on a PC the way you are supposed to with those specs. The 7450 is rubbish and the 7750 is better but if you really want to game you'll need to go with something like a 6870 or 7850 minimum. And no, those cards will not last for any decent length of time.

bgrt

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2011

Good/bad is relative. What's "bad" for some people is fine for others. For probably the majority of people, the 6450 (same as 7450) is fine. They either do not need eye candy, do not turn on anti-aliasing, play low-requirement games, or play at low resolutions. The 6450 will get playable average framerates on those aforementioned games on low settings, maybe Skyrim on medium, on resolutions like 1280x1024 and under. BF3 maybe on 1280x800 or so.

You will also have to realize that many people who bash budget cards like the 6450 want to make it appear that they have the latest and greatest GPUs, whether they actually own one or not. I'd bet there are plenty of 13 year old kids on a $5 a week allowance who could never afford even a mid-range GPU on their own trolling hardware forums and bash the one card they can actually buy.