Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Should My PC Be Doing This?

Last response: in Systems
November 2, 2012 1:37:32 PM

I recently purchased a PC with the hope that it would last me at least through 2013 in terms of playing new release video games. Unfortunately, it seems I've hit a wall with Borderlands 2 and other games released around this time, and I'm not quite sure why. The system came with a GeForce GTX 560 graphics card, and my issue was with extremely low FPS, so my first instinct was to buy a new one. Now I'm running a GTX 670, and if there's been any difference, it's marginal. I thought I'd post my system specs on here and simply ask the question: Should my PC be running these games this poorly?

Motherboard: Gigabyte M68MT-S2
Processor: AMD FX-6100 6-core @ 3.3 GHz
RAM: 8 Gb
GPU: Geforce GTX 670

Typically, I play with 1766x994 resolution (I play using a HDTV, hence the odd dimensions)

Presently, with everything on the lowest settings, Borderlands 2 seldom gets past 40 FPS. In busy-ish areas like towns, I can't crest 30 unless I have my nose against a wall, and if I'm playing a co-op game I'm generally averaging 15-20 FPS.

Also, when playing the demo for XCOM: Enemy Unknown, during gameplay my FPS stays in the single-digit range. Again, this is on the lowest settings.

By comparison, I can play Battlefield 3 on Medium settings at a steady 60+ frames.

More about : question

November 2, 2012 1:47:46 PM

The FX is a bit slow at stock clocks which may or may not be your problem. You probably can't OC on that board either.
m
l

Best solution

November 3, 2012 12:17:24 PM

Read reviews of the FX-6100, compare frame rates with what you are getting.

The FX-6100 is not considered a strong gaming CPU, see the chart on the last page of this article. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o... A good core2 quad or an i3 can outgame it. So can older Phenom II X4s. The fx-6100 is better in applications that can exploit it's 6 threads.

The GTX670 was a good choice. You can keep that for a while. Its not a waste or throw away part.
Related resources
November 4, 2012 12:24:11 AM

tsnor said:
Read reviews of the FX-6100, compare frame rates with what you are getting.

The FX-6100 is not considered a strong gaming CPU, see the chart on the last page of this article. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o... A good core2 quad or an i3 can outgame it. So can older Phenom II X4s. The fx-6100 is better in applications that can exploit it's 6 threads.

The GTX670 was a good choice. You can keep that for a while. Its not a waste or throw away part.

This is what I get for purchasing an iBuyPower PC. lol Thanks a lot for the info. I feel pretty good about the 670 purchase, I've always been frugal with my gaming rig purchases, but it's always led to moments like these where I've had it for less than a year and it's already underperforming. I finally realized I need to sink some real money into my builds if I want them to last. I've got a tech-savvy friend who's helping me shop for an Intel i5 and the necessary motherboard to support it, looks like another $400 going in presently.
m
l
November 4, 2012 12:27:12 AM

Best answer selected by Xadins.
m
l
!