Bought Wrong Card, What to Do?

dark ariel7

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
I Have a Asrock 4 core dual Vsta mobo and i bought a Geforce GT 520 pcie 2 card the card much to my dismay is too large to fint in the slot which is pcie 1 i have no idea what to do help please.
so far i tried to take of the plastic wall that was in the way to fit the card. when i put the card in which it still didnt sit right the pc did not post. the card is by the way too long in the front by 1 cm or 2.
any suggestions?

kendrose

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
Are you sure your trying to install it to the PCIe slot and not the AGP slot? If I am looking at the right board, your PCIe slot is the second one, colored purple. Reading your motherboard manual would be a good idea, make sure its got the right slot and it should have a layout in the manual telling you which slot is what.

Again, if I am looking at the right board, your PCIe slot is a 4x slot. That alone may hamper the performance of the card, but thats more of a guess then a fact.

kendrose

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
It looks like (thanks to the internet) that the 16x card (GT520) wont fit in the slot period. Not unless you want to chop up your video card or motherboard. To use anything modern you need to get a new motherboard, as a 4x slot just isnt going to run anything anymore.

Yes it will. Don't spread misinformation.

@OP: Take some pictures of how it doesn't fit please.

kendrose

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011

Ok, how about it wont run anything without modification.

I generally try not to use wikipidia for information but a direct quote from the pci express page reads:
"A PCIe card fits into a slot of its physical size or larger (maximum ×16), but may not fit into a smaller PCIe slot (×16 in a ×8 slot). Some slots use open-ended sockets to permit physically longer cards and negotiate the best available electrical connection."

They even have an image showing the different sizes of slots. So simply put, a 4x slot isnt going to run newer 16x cards. And even with modification to allow the 16x card to seat, your seriously restricting the interface making it a questionable thing to from a cost perspective.

So, the options are:
Cut the interface of the card so only the pins that will fit are in the slot
Cut the ends of the slot open so the grove has no obstructions front and back.

Either option sounds like a bad time, nevermind voiding any remaining warrenties.

Edit: Page 10 of the manual has a list of compatable cards.

Did you even check his motherboard number? It's standard size PCIe slot, not the cut down version.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/photo/4CoreDual-VSTA(m).jpg

As for supported card list: only PCIe cards that are on that list are ones that were available at the time of manufacturing of the board. It was the very beginning of shift from AGP to PCIe, that's why there are so little cards. In reality though, it will support any PCIe 1.0, 1.1 or 2.0 card and even Nvidia 3.0 solution.

kendrose

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2011
I looked at that, and the manual.
Sigh. The documentation states 4x.
Looking up the individual cards in the compatable list, shows both 4x and 16x cards.
Guess I missed something when reading the manual.

dark ariel7

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
Guys you are going to think i am such a noob but when i ordered the card online i accidently got the pci version not pcie so it fits it kinda works except that windows7 does not want to play nice.
It does not show up as a vga adapter or at all for that matter. when i looked into it all i got was a yellow triangle next to Pci-to-Pci bridge whatever that is. I got the driver from the dvd it did not work i got the latest one online it did not work neither recognised the card as a card.

Look at the picture on the document you posted. It's a full sized slot, even if it runs at x4 speeds.