Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Which should I get first

Last response: in Systems
November 2, 2012 2:25:27 PM

It's been almost 8months since I bought anything for my build, which I haven't completed. I still have the SSD, HDD, CPU and GPU left to get. Earlier this year I bought ram, asus z68 mobo, NZXT phantom, cpu cooler and psu. So today i'm going to have $400 left to spend, so should I spend the $400 on the SSD, HDD and CPU all together will come out to $387 if I remember correctly or the 670ftw $369? I'm really leaning towards getting the 670 since ssd, hdd and cpu are always going on sale every other week. So what do you guys think? I know it's a personal choice, but just wanted to see what you guys thought about this.

More about : question

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 2:38:29 PM

What processor are you planning on getting if you buy one? And if you bought a gpu now. when would you be able to get the hdd ssd and cpu?
m
l
November 2, 2012 2:40:35 PM

Processor i'm going with is i5 2500k, I would be able to get them in the next 2weeks.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 2:44:36 PM

Oh, it doesn't matter really. I would if your buying on newegg just look around for deals on the parts you want. It's black november sales month.
m
l

Best solution

a c 311 à CPUs
November 2, 2012 2:47:11 PM

My thought:
Buy the ssd and cpu now.
That completes your build and allows you to run using the integrated graphics.
That will be sufficient to run more static games like civ-4.
Then, save up for a good graphics card if you are a fps gamer.

On the ssd, buy at least a 120gb drive,.
That will be large enough for the os and half a dozen games.
or better yet, 180gb. You may never even need a hard drive unless you are storing large files like video's.
Intel seems to be having sales on 180gb ssd's to clear out inventory for the cheaper to build 335 series.
Check Samsung also, since they launched the 840 series.
There is no real difference in performance among all the current SSD's.
I like Intel and Samsung better for reliability.
Defer the hard drive to later.

If you live near a microcenter, they will sell you a 2500K for $160. A good deal.

Budget twice the cost of the cpu for the graphics card for good balance.
A GTX670 would be appropriate.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
November 2, 2012 2:47:20 PM

And if your going to be gaming I would suggest the i5 3450 Ivy bridge. It costs about the same.
m
l
November 2, 2012 2:53:09 PM

For your next build, maybe you should wait 'till you get all the money... because by now prices of your (unused) parts dropped and new/better parts are available for the same price
m
l
a c 311 à CPUs
November 2, 2012 3:08:00 PM

Darkmonk said:
For your next build, maybe you should wait 'till you get all the money... because by now prices of your (unused) parts dropped and new/better parts are available for the same price

A very good point.
I might except such items as case, psu, and monitor.
m
l
November 2, 2012 3:16:36 PM

geofelt said:
My thought:
Buy the ssd and cpu now.
That completes your build and allows you to run using the integrated graphics.
That will be sufficient to run more static games like civ-4.
Then, save up for a good graphics card if you are a fps gamer.

On the ssd, buy at least a 120gb drive,.
That will be large enough for the os and half a dozen games.
or better yet, 180gb. You may never even need a hard drive unless you are storing large files like video's.
Intel seems to be having sales on 180gb ssd's to clear out inventory for the cheaper to build 335 series.
Check Samsung also, since they launched the 840 series.
There is no real difference in performance among all the current SSD's.
I like Intel and Samsung better for reliability.
Defer the hard drive to later.

If you live near a microcenter, they will sell you a 2500K for $160. A good deal.

Budget twice the cost of the cpu for the graphics card for good balance.
A GTX670 would be appropriate.

Thanks geo, might change my mind. But yeah I was planning on getting a 120gb samsung ssd. I do download videos/bluraymovies to make gifs in photoshop and stuff so that's why I kind of wanted to get a HDD. But i'm in no rush to build/play though, cause I still need to research a few things.
m
l
November 2, 2012 3:23:57 PM

Darkmonk said:

Yeah, I know. But you know when you're ready to do something, then something else comes up. I thought I was going to be able to complete my build before all the new releases and maybe just focus on upgrading in the future.
m
l
November 2, 2012 3:58:04 PM

Best answer selected by JanaRa.
m
l
!