HD Tach 2.61 Interpretation Question

Xeneize

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2001
Hello,

I Have a Raid 0 (Promise100TX2) with a couple of 75GB HDs (IBM's GXP), now my HD tach 2.61 results goes from 60MB/sec to sometimes 8MS/sec, in other words, it starts good but it has very low peeks through out the whole test, it manages to average 40mb/sec. Is this behavior normal?? (I never seen this in any other test, usually is steady and never goes from 55-60MB to 5-10MB) and in any event is this a good result for a P4 with a hardware Raid 0?
Ohh, I'm running Windows XP professional (NTFS) with 1 primary partition (38GB), 1 Extended (110GB) and one last Primary (6GB)

Thank you guys,

Xeneize

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I don't know if it's normal or not, but you don't seem to have too bad of a bench. I benched mine and it seemed to do fairly well. I have a different setup then you do, but they seem to be fairly close.

I'm running a AMD 1GHZ on an MSI mobo w/ integrated Promise RAID. I have two Maxtor 30GB hard drives in a RAID 0. When I bench it I seem to get a max of 45MB/sec, a min of 33MB/sec, and sustained of about 43MB/sec w/ 0% CPU utilization. It only seems to dip a few times at the very end of the drive. Other then that it's steady all the way through.

<font color=red>BIOS updates do wonders ....</font color=red>