Extra hubs and switches in networking map

cmartell1978

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
Hey everyone. Im running windows 7, 64 bit on a new Sony Vaio. I have it hardwired directly to a cable modem. WHen i open network and sharing center, and click on view network map, it shows an icon for my computer, and one for my modem and the internet. I just bought an Asus rt-n56u wireless router. I hooked it up, everyhting working fine, but i notice now when i click on network and sharing center, then click on view network map, it shows an icon for my computer, and 3 or 4 hubs and switches! I dont know what they are or why they are there. Can someone please clear this up for me?? why are they there, what are they? are they supposed to be? is it causing an issue? Thanks in advance!

arael

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
No need to worry about that. I believe the picture changes depending on the type of network detected.

For instance I currently see my pc --> a building (domain) --> Internet

The network map is a very very basic overview of how Windows 7 thinks you connect to the network. It is by no means 100% accurate, and doesn't affect the network at all.

cmartell1978

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
thank you so much, it actually keeps changing all the time, as long as it doesnt have any affect, im not goign to care one bit. There is one other question... i dont know if you can help me.... im located in nova scotia, and ever since i got this router today, whenever i have it hooked up and go to speedtest.net, it thinks i am in saskatchewan for some reason. If i unhook it, back to halifax. Weird, i assume its something with the router, do you know what could be causing this??