Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Best GPU for 1440 x 900

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2012 6:53:39 AM

I'm finally gonna upgrade my GT 520 (how the hell do you survive with that?) and I am gonna retain my 1440x900 monitor. I want to play the most graphic intensive games at max settings on this resolution. I also need it to be future proof for about 4-5 years. I have a budget of about $0 - $300. Here are my current specs

Intel i3 2100 (Will upgrade to a quad core Ivy Bridge Processor next year, so no need suggestions for now)
ASrock z75 Pro 3 (I wanted to a cheap but good Mobo inorder to have the money for something better, like more space)
GT 520 (not enough at all)
Thermaltake BlacX Case (263 mm max support for GPU length)
500 GB HDD
460W PSU (Cooler Master)

So for now, I am eying at a GTX 660 ti (not sure which vendor), because of its cool TXAA and Adaptive V-sync technology, surely will make it future proof (and free Borderlands 2). However I am not too sure about this as AMD's 7870 seems ok too. Here are the games I play-

Batman Arkham City
BF3
Assassins Creed
Borderlands
Skyrim

AS you can see, I am only able to play these games at the lowest specs possible, so I intend to upgrade to something that will last for the next 4 - 5 years. Any suggestions?

More about : gpu 1440 900

a c 198 U Graphics card
September 6, 2012 6:57:32 AM

Well, depending on the video card you get, I don't think the 2100 is going to need to be upgraded anytime soon. At your resolution I would go for the 7850 at most. Maybe a 6870. The 7850 would run better on your power supply though.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2012 6:59:48 AM

Upgrade your PSU first. The quality is rubbish. Your case too is a problem. 26cm isn't much room, can you remove any HDD bays?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2012 7:06:00 AM

Smeg45 said:
Upgrade your PSU first. The quality is rubbish. Your case too is a problem. 26cm isn't much room, can you remove any HDD bays?

Yeah, maybe I should upgrade the PSU. Case on the other hand looks like it could support 28-29cm. I'm just getting the 26cm from the product manual.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2012 7:07:36 AM

Deemo13 said:
Well, depending on the video card you get, I don't think the 2100 is going to need to be upgraded anytime soon. At your resolution I would go for the 7850 at most. Maybe a 6870. The 7850 would run better on your power supply though.

Will it be future proof for the next 4-5 years? Maybe I should have put a bit more emphasis on that fact
m
0
l
Anonymous
a c 117 U Graphics card
September 6, 2012 7:09:05 AM

i was going to jump all over that PSU because cooler master doesn't make very good ones however:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...

it still is an "entry level PSU" and only has one 6 pin power connection which limits you on what card you can get.

btw, no mid range card (7870 - 660ti) will be future proof for 5 years; more like 3 years.
m
0
l
a c 198 U Graphics card
September 6, 2012 7:12:12 AM

4-5 years, maybe. Depends if you're always playing the latest and greatest and what you can tolerate. I can personally tolerate medium-low before I feel like I need to upgrade.

Some people only settle for the max settings.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2012 7:14:43 AM

Anonymous said:
i was going to jump all over that PSU because cooler master doesn't make very good ones however:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX...

it still is an "entry level PSU" and only has one 6 pin power connection which limits you on what card you can get.

What about the Molex pin adapter that comes with those kind of GPU's? The one I have has 5 molex inputs. And also are you saying that I might as well go for a cheaper GPU?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2012 7:33:43 AM

Gosh, the Kepler stuff is making me drool.. Also, with Borderlands 2 coming with the GTX 660 ti, won't that bring the actual price down by $50, making it a $250- $260 price, which makes it very close to the $220-$240 price of the 7850.

So its a match between GTX 660ti and HD 7850
m
0
l
September 6, 2012 8:32:49 AM

I have a MSI 7850 and it is a pretty good card, I can max out most games at 1080p so it should have no problem with your res. I have just finished Batman Arkham City and it looked amazing.

Also how much RAM do you have?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2012 9:11:25 AM

jk47_99 said:
I have a MSI 7850 and it is a pretty good card, I can max out most games at 1080p so it should have no problem with your res. I have just finished Batman Arkham City and it looked amazing.

Also how much RAM do you have?

I have 8gigs

m
0
l

Best solution

September 6, 2012 9:40:39 AM

Ravyu said:
I have 8gigs


It's a tough choice, both are good cards. But if you have the money go for the 660ti, the regular driver updates from Nvidia might give it the edge long term.
Share
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2012 9:41:43 AM

Best answer selected by Ravyu.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2012 9:48:48 AM

I have the money. The Nvidia drivers look fanciful. Nvidia has better non-gaming support (like conversion software that use cuda cores, infact I have one of those, just realised), txaa and adaptive v-sync will prove useful (I will be hitting high framerates, but in future, it might be an inbetween, so this will be useful) Thanks.
m
0
l
a c 200 U Graphics card
September 6, 2012 9:56:24 AM

That card will smoke that CM PSU. Finding it acceptable as an "entry level" device means it might be suitable for integrated graphics, or a PC with a HTPC card in it. Either replace it, or limit your selection to the HD7770 or whatever nVidia comes out with in that range.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2012 12:36:57 PM

Onus said:
That card will smoke that CM PSU. Finding it acceptable as an "entry level" device means it might be suitable for integrated graphics, or a PC with a HTPC card in it. Either replace it, or limit your selection to the HD7770 or whatever nVidia comes out with in that range.

Like i said, i will upgrade. Thanks
m
0
l
!