First Build, need advice

Zeph824

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
Hi guys, as the title says, I need advice on my first computer build. I've replaced parts and know my way around computers pretty well. I just haven't built a computer from scratch before. Here are the parts I'm thinking about getting:

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120 3.3Ghz Dual Core

Motherboard: Asus P8B75-V ATX LAG1155

RAM: Mushkin Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GT 430 1GB

Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case

PSU: Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500W

Misc.: Two Cooler Master SickleFlow 120mm Blue LED Fans

This computer will mainly be used as a family computer for browsing the internet, saving tons of pictures, and the occasional Minecraft.

I was also wondering if I would have to buy any wires. I haven't had to purchase many of these parts before, so I'm unsure as to whether the required cords come with the parts.

According to PCpartpicker.com, there are no incompatibilities so far, but I'm not quite trusting of that site yet.

I'm trying to keep the price below or around $500, and right now it's $490.

Tell me what you guys think! :pt1cable:

Frisbee_68

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
The computer will be suitable for your needs, but it wont be able to take many processor-intensive programs. If you are just using it as a casual family computer it should be good. You shouldn't need any cords, your motherboard should come with SATA cords and those are the only cords you will really need

Zeph824

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
Thanks for the fast reply! That's good to hear. I was worried I would have to spend the next week buying tons of different cables and hoping that they would fit.

The CPU is supported, no BIOS update needed, for RAMs I would choose a 8GB compatible kit (use configurators on manufacturers sites), 500W for PSU might be at limit. You will need the video cable, if you don't have one.

Zeph824

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
By video cable, do you mean the cable running from the computer to the monitor? And yeah I was thinking about getting a bigger PSU, and possibly one by a better manufacturer (I've heard Cooler Master isn't the best brand). According to PCpartspicker this system will only use 213W max, but I know for a fact that the video card alone can use 300W.

Zeph824

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012

That was a typo and was supposed to say 2 x 4 GB sticks, sorry.