Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

NEW BUILD HELP PLEASE HELP

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 2, 2012 7:49:16 PM

hi all going to be ordering everything for my new build tonight and was hoping you guys could check it out first.everything is based on my budget so thats why i have chosen amd over intel and the radeon over nvidia aslo is the compatibility of everything going to be ok? sorry im new to all this. TOATL PRICE £441.10

SAPPHIRE 7850 2GB £157.00

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-11200-14-20G-Card-HD78...

AMD PHENOM II X4 BE £73.99

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002SRQ214/ref=ox_sc...

ASUS M5A99X EVO £90.92

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/cart/view-upsell.html?ie=UTF...

CORSAIR 8GB 2 X4GB 1600MHZ £32.29

WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB 7200 RPM HDD £72.99

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-WD1002FAEX-Cavi...

COOLMASTER RC 430 £34.99

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002SRQ214/ref=ox_sc...

POWERCOOL 750W

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Powercool-750W-Dual-V2-2-Effici...

More about : build

November 2, 2012 8:27:19 PM

Looks okay, don't know what version of the Corsair RAM this is since there is no model number or link. AMD Bulldozer FX-4100 Socket AM3+ 4 Core Processor - is £2.78 more and you go from a 3.4Ghz to a 3.6Ghz, 3.8GHz with turbo. I'm not familiar with the Powercool brand Power supply but for £4 more you get the modular version.
November 2, 2012 8:28:25 PM

You need to add an aftermarket cooler, for cpu, to overclock. You need to do that go get decent performance, from Phenom. Plus, I think there's something wrong with your addition as, apart from cooler and decent PSU, components are cheaper.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£71.95 @ Scan.co.uk)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£23.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£63.46 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£30.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£72.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card (£149.74 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case (£34.99 @ Dabs)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£49.98 @ Novatech)
Total: £498.06
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

For 95% of gaming this would actually be better (and lower power consumption)
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor (£90.95 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£62.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£30.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£72.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card (£149.74 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case (£34.99 @ Dabs)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£35.99 @ Novatech)
Total: £478.61
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Your build does not include an optical drive. I have also left that out, assuming you have one
Related resources
November 2, 2012 8:32:15 PM

littleleo said:
Looks okay, don't know what version of the Corsair RAM this is since there is no model number or link. AMD Bulldozer FX-4100 Socket AM3+ 4 Core Processor - is £2.78 more and you go from a 3.4Ghz to a 3.6Ghz, 3.8GHz with turbo. I'm not familiar with the Powercool brand Power supply but for £4 more you get the modular version.

I would say that power supply should be avoided, at all cost. Dual rail and uncertified. If nothing else is changed, that should be. Cheap or not!!
November 2, 2012 8:35:31 PM

littleleo said:
Looks okay, don't know what version of the Corsair RAM this is since there is no model number or link. AMD Bulldozer FX-4100 Socket AM3+ 4 Core Processor - is £2.78 more and you go from a 3.4Ghz to a 3.6Ghz, 3.8GHz with turbo. I'm not familiar with the Powercool brand Power supply but for £4 more you get the modular version.



sorry thought i put the link in. i read that the the phenom ii x4 would be better than the fx 4100?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004CRSM4I/ref=ox_sc...
November 2, 2012 8:48:10 PM

jbegsi2007 said:
sorry thought i put the link in. i read that the the phenom ii x4 would be better than the fx 4100?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004CRSM4I/ref=ox_sc...

No. The high heat-sinks on that RAM would clash with cooler. You need low profile RAM, like Corsair CML, Crucial Ballistix Sport, or GSKill Ares. If you keep everything else, in your build, please change PSU. That's a disaster waitng to happen.
November 2, 2012 8:50:16 PM

Not honestly a lot to chose between Phenom and Bulldozer, in overall performance.
November 2, 2012 8:55:45 PM

malbluff said:
No. The high heat-sinks on that RAM would clash with cooler. You need low profile RAM, like Corsair CML, Crucial Ballistix Sport, or GSKill Ares. If you keep everything else, in your build, please change PSU. That's a disaster waitng to happen.



hi thanks for all the advise.looking at different psu's now (trying to get everthing from amazon)
also will i be able to use the mobo you recommended with my set up as it is cheaper and will make up for a more expensive psu?
November 2, 2012 9:03:30 PM

Yes it will be fine. Do give some thought to i3 build. Just because Phenom has 4 cores, doesn't make it better, for most gaming apps in fact worse, in most, as the cores aren't as efficient, as the latest Intel. About the only gaming app, where Phenom holds its own, is multi-player, in a few games like BF3.
November 2, 2012 9:10:33 PM

malbluff said:
Yes it will be fine. Do give some thought to i3 build. Just because Phenom has 4 cores, doesn't make it better, for most gaming apps in fact worse, in most, as the cores aren't as efficient, as the latest Intel. About the only gaming app, where Phenom holds its own, is multi-player, in a few games like BF3.




ok mate what about an i5 set up how much would that set me back with oc. what would you recommend and i will see what i can come up with but it took me all day to come up with my original setup lol so anything faster than me would be much appreciated.
November 2, 2012 10:02:18 PM

Somewhat more if you want an i5, and overclock. Don't forget optical drive, if necessary. You could use a cheaper hard drive.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£168.61 @ CCL Computers)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£23.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£98.58 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£30.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£72.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card (£149.74 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case (£50.13 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£55.82 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £650.82
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
November 2, 2012 10:07:44 PM

^That's a really solid build. Love those HCG power supplies (even though I replaced mine with something with more power)
November 2, 2012 10:18:02 PM

malbluff said:
Somewhat more if you want an i5, and overclock. Don't forget optical drive, if necessary. You could use a cheaper hard drive.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£168.61 @ CCL Computers)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£23.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£98.58 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£30.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£72.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card (£149.74 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case (£50.13 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£55.82 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £650.82
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)


i am really gutted to say that its £100 over my maximum budget which is a real gutter as i do like the list you have made.
November 2, 2012 10:19:44 PM

i am reluctantly going to have to go with the amd which was my first choice but seeing your list makes me want to wait for that extra £100 but need to start this build by monday and £100 by monday i can not do at the moment
November 2, 2012 10:23:24 PM

Well, you can downgrade the GPU to a 7770 and the power supply to a CX430 or similar to shave off some money.

You can also downgrade to a non-overclocking build with an i5-34xx and a H77 motherboard with close to 0 loss in performance.
November 2, 2012 10:26:23 PM

Deemo13 said:
Well, you can downgrade the GPU to a 7770 and the power supply to a CX430 or similar to shave off some money.

You can also downgrade to a non-overclocking build with an i5-34xx and a H77 motherboard with close to 0 loss in performance.


ok sound good how much will it save me to down grade the i5 and mobo and how much difference would it be between my original amd setup and that setup then?
November 2, 2012 10:38:08 PM

Something like this, keeping GPU. You could save around £40 more, if you use 500GB Seagate HDD, although not as good.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£143.38 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£62.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£30.96 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£72.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card (£149.74 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case (£50.13 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£35.99 @ Novatech)
Total: £546.18
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
!