Sign in with
Your question

6870 - Samsung TV HDMI Dual Monitor issue

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 6, 2012 12:23:08 PM

I recently purchased a HDMI cable to run from my XFX Radeon 6870 to my TV, to allow me to use it as a second monitor. At first I had some black screen issues, but now I can actually use it as a monitor.

The problem is, that the resolution/image quality on the TV (second monitor) is horrific.

I don't think it's an issue with the 6870 - I took a screenshot of my desktop and the image quality looked fine. It's just the visual on the TV itself which is displaying a poor quality image. I've tried multiple resolutions, refresh rates, all to no avail.

The TV is a Samsung LE19R86BDX/XEU, and I'm using the HDMI/DVI In port.

Any resolution suffers from the low quality issue.

Using the "Recommended" resolution of 1440x900 results in a "Mode Not Supported" screen on the TV.

I'll include a screenshot so you can see that the image quality is great in theory, however on the actual TV it's grainy, low quality, and the colours are distorted. http://oi49.tinypic.com/9pnh40.jpg

Thanks for your help!

September 6, 2012 1:46:49 PM

use ccc display properties and set it to the max of the tv
September 6, 2012 1:57:25 PM

Tried that, along with all others. Scaling gets rid of some of the black bars, but not entirely. Image quality is still terrible.
Related resources
September 6, 2012 2:00:11 PM

it could be your refresh rate but thats has to stay the same on both monitors tvs try another cable
September 6, 2012 2:06:24 PM

I'll try some of the different refresh rates again.

I've managed to get rid of the black bars and get the picture to fill my screen by using 1280x720 resolution and 0% scaling in CCC.

Picture quality is still bad, still tinkering. I read a suggestion about Samsung TV's that said editing the HDMI name to DVI-PC or PC would fix it, but changing it to PC did nothing for me.
September 6, 2012 8:58:59 PM

Just about all tvs are set to 1366x768 60hz, or 1920x1024 60hz. Try those two resolutions in the pc video settings. What is the model of tv you have?
a b x TV
a b C Monitor
September 7, 2012 12:30:27 AM

at 1440x900 you should just use a vga cable and skip the tv trying to format your hdmi input (ie - it thinks its going to be getting 720 or 1080 and trying to fit it onto its small screen) Well thats my theory and i'm sticking to it. LoL

Ahhh crap - i just realized your 6870 wont have a vga on it... hopefully one of your dvi's will be analog capable.

unfortunately your tv is a 16:10 where as hdtv is 16:9
try running in 1152x720 or 1728x1080 if regular 720 & 1080 dont work well.
September 7, 2012 1:03:14 PM

I'm using a DVI-VGA adapter for my first monitor, doesn't work on the second DVI port like you said. So I really need to get this HDMI input working, or I'm going to have to buy a brand new monitor/TV.

Also, I use the TV with my xbox via component. So, I'd need a TV or Monitor that can allow both DVI and Component to be used with it, preferably by just switching modes so I don't have to unplug things to switch.
!