Could startup programs cause my pc to crash

rustyrunner

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
My pc freezes randomly usually after a few minutes. Did a system restore but made no difference. Ran virus and various other checks. If I am doing nothing pc is ok but internet activity in particular brings a crash where the mouse may work but is useless against a frozen picture with with red dots and dashes. I have to close manually holding down button and when restarting system is ok even restoring where it last left off. Had to do that many times. Is this bad to close computer down in such a way?
I have xp and when updating to xp service pack 3 caused a great crash. Does not seem to have been right since then. Now I notice since writing this nothing has happened. Hopefully I can push the send and you may receive my request for help!?

rustyrunner

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
presario 061, xp home edition 5.1 build 2600, amd athlon64x2 dual core processor 3800+, mmx3d now, memory 2046 mb available,
direct x 9.oc,
display device nvidia ge force 8800 gt.
Is this enough?

Keep Task Manager open and see if any background task starts eating significant memory or CPU cycles as you work. Also, make sure all your hardware drivers are up to date.

If you suspect your SP3 upgrade is the fault, you can try removing and re-installing it. I would seriously advise an upgrade to Windows 7 just for general stability and security reasons though.

rustyrunner

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
Thanks Herr Koos,

Appreciate answer and will attempt. May have given you a false lead with SP3 as had reverted to SP2 straight after upgrade failed twice some weeks ago.

Realize now how difficult it must be to give advice to a patient who is not able to explain his symptoms properly.

Will try the first part first and let you know.

(PS... my lot, NZ all blacks play pumas tomorrow night in what will be a windy Wellington. Hope they can manage better than a draw as your lot did last week.)

I hang my head in shame.. :pfff: That was just about the worst game the Boks have had in recent memory. I'm sure NZ will beat the Pumas rather easily; they look in awesome form atm.

Good luck with your PC, feel free to post again with updates on the situation.

rustyrunner

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
No significant tasks eating memory as far as I can tell, and despite updating drivers problem still persists. Have 50 startup things running but not sure what to safely delete.

Guess it is a technical mystery like the poor goalkicking performance by the Boks against NZ was on Saturday.