Is anyone ever going to make a small Series 60 phone?

Last response: in Brands
November 21, 2004 11:27:26 PM

I live in hope!

-Tom
November 21, 2004 11:27:27 PM

I don't understand this fetish with "small" phones. My first handheld
cel phone (I believe it was the first one available in this country)
was a Motorola that was bigger than a large house phone handset. Then
we had a Motorola Flip-Phone for several years. It must have weighted
two pounds. Our car phone had a large, slide-out unit in the trunk in
addition to the handset and holder up front. I read recently where
someone thought a Samsung A650 was too big. I could lose it in my
watch pocket. I guess we could just have something that fit in our
ear like a hearing aid. Maybe that would be small enough. Or how
about a microchip imbedded under the skin?

Dick

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 20:27:26 -0000, "Thomas Robinson"
<news@tomnufc.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>I live in hope!
>
>-Tom

Anonymous
November 22, 2004 1:01:44 AM

"Thomas Robinson" <news@tomnufc.fsnet.co.uk> schreef in bericht
>I live in hope!

Without a large display, it is useless.
November 22, 2004 1:01:45 AM

"Klaas Ensing" <klaase01@home.nl> wrote in message

> "Thomas Robinson" <news@tomnufc.fsnet.co.uk> schreef in bericht
>>I live in hope!
>>
> Without a large display, it is useless.

How about a smaller screen but with the same resolution?

-Tom
November 22, 2004 1:21:25 AM

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 22:01:44 +0100, "Klaas Ensing" <klaase01@home.nl>
wrote:

>"Thomas Robinson" <news@tomnufc.fsnet.co.uk> schreef in bericht
>>I live in hope!
>>
>Without a large display, it is useless.

Sendo X maybe?
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 1:32:33 AM

Thomas Robinson wrote:
> How about a smaller screen but with the same resolution?

Moto tripplets have the same resolution, but the screen is smaller than
Nokia Series 60 phones.
Anyway, as Dick said, why smaller phones? So you can loose'em easier? :)

--
Stevica Kuharski, Omikron
http://www.omikron-ps.com

I think its for tossers who confuse fitness for purpose with how their mates
judge them (ie. they need to impress people with the size of their
technology).

"Stevica Kuharski" <infoREMOVE@omikron-ps.com> wrote in message
> Thomas Robinson wrote:
>> How about a smaller screen but with the same resolution?
>>

> Moto tripplets have the same resolution, but the screen is smaller than
> Nokia Series 60 phones.
> Anyway, as Dick said, why smaller phones? So you can loose'em easier? :)
>
> --
> Stevica Kuharski, Omikron
> http://www.omikron-ps.com
> http://www.omikron-games.com
> e-mail: infoREMOVE@omikron-ps.com

Anonymous
November 23, 2004 1:28:36 AM

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 22:01:44 +0100, Klaas Ensing wrote:

> "Thomas Robinson" <news@tomnufc.fsnet.co.uk> schreef in bericht
>>I live in hope!
>>
> Without a large display, it is useless.

You don't need a large screen, to have a high resolution. e.g. the small
SonyEricsson k700i actually has a higher rez screen at 176 x 220 pixels,
than the considerably larger series-60 Nokia 660 at 176 x 208 pixels.

So it should be possible to do a small series-60 phone.

--
Michael Turner

Email (ROT13)

zvxr.gheare1963@grfpb.arg
November 23, 2004 9:13:48 PM

> Or how about a microchip
> imbedded under the skin?
>
> Dick

It's been done.
Can't remember the specifics, but something like this.
Keypad inserted into your forearm, CPU was stuck somewhere, shoulder i
think.
Microphone in thumb, and speaker embedded somewhere in your head or finger.

-mark
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 5:48:45 PM

Dick wrote:

> I don't understand this fetish with "small" phones.

It makes it easier to carry them around. And since there are more
than enough big series 60 phones, people wonder when more modest
sized will come. I won't buy any of the current models because they
are too large.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers // Physics and science fiction site:
johanw@vulcan.xs4all.nl // http://www.xs4all.nl/~johanw/index.html