Download Faster than ISP Speed - Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leopardos

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Hello,

I have 2.5MB connection , my MAX Download speed is 320-335K/bs
Some times i get 700K/bs in EA games Origin program (Downloading now with 700kb)
and steam ...

How can i download with a speed that i dont already have ?!

Wierd ! im happy tho ... but how could it be ?

steimy

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
The speeds they post are usually close to what you should be getting, but are not 100% true. There are many factors that come into play when you talk about ISP speeds.

Sometimes i see DL speeds (on speedtests from my ISP's own site) that are at 35MB, but i am only supposed to be getting 30. Other times it may be 25-28. I really can't explain how you might get twice the speed you should be getting. I would just be happy about it.

Wanna check your math again?

How can 2.5MB/s be = to 300Kb/s ?

2,500,000 Bytes per second vs. 300,000 bits per sec? Big difference.

2,500,000 Bytes X 8 = 20,000,000 bits per sec (less transaction overhead)

Leopardos might have a 20Mb/sec connection (which would be 2.5MB) and in that case, not getting anywhere near what is being paid for. If it's a 2.5Mb connection, (2,500,000 bits), still getting ripped off.

Speeds are normally rated in bit per second because they are streamed, as in 'serial' where Bytes are normally used in a parallel interface situation. This further leads me the think Leopardos has a 2.5Mb connection (and not getting near that speed at all).

Catsrules

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
Some ISP give your speed boost, basically when you start a download the first xx amount of megs you get a faster speed.
Maybe your ISP gave you a free upgrade, my ISP did that when they upgraded there network in my neighborhood.

I think download is 320-335KBps. Like tigsounds said Most programs do there speed in Bytes, I know steam does.
Internet speeds is 2.5Mb. Because every ISP i know puts speeds in bits.

With a 2.5Mb connection 320-335KBps should be about right if a little high

2,500,000 bits per second = 312,500 bytes per sec.

But at 700KBpx speed your running a 5.6Mbps connection much better then 2.5Mbps i would say.

wooo I think I got all of the B, b, byte and bits in the right places :).

I always thought ISP used bits because it looks like a faster speed.
What would you buy a 20Mb connection or a 2.5MB connection?

That "burst" speed last for a specific quantity. I've seen the fine print for Comcast stating it last for the first 10MB delivered (a cumulative quantity of delivered bits, not a speed), and then things go back to the normal rate. This is rather generous of them, they didn't have to do that at all.

Don't confuse M with K. M=mega (millions) K=Kilo (thousands).

ISP's must rate speed in bits, they can't deliver a Byte all at once, it must be streamed as bits, and so the measurement in bits. Bytes are used in some programs as total delivered. It's like the milkman brings a bottle a minute, and eventually you look at how many gallons (or liters) it all adds up to over that time.

Try speedtest that is best indicator of your actual speed. It is actually doing the same thing as a file download it just not save it to disk.

Be very sure that the rates are what you think it is. Resource monitor tends to be the most reliable instant measure of rates. Be careful though some of the rates are in BYTES and others in BITS. It is fairly obvious but you have to be careful.

If the numbers on the resource monitor match the speeds you see in the download program then your ISP is delivering more than is contracted and I guess you just hope they keep doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.