Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First time build - No video output

Last response: in Systems
November 2, 2012 8:48:53 PM

~ It's my first time building a computer, so please forgive me if this is entirely a noobie mistake!

The problem:

I assembled my new computer according to the instruction manuals I was given with the parts. When I start it up, everything turns on, all the fans move, everything lights up... But I can't get any video output from my video card.

Things that I've tried/done so far:
~Reseat things
~connecting the card to a HDMI TV as well as a VGA monitor
~Put in a pci card to get output (maybe I have to install the drivers for my video card?) - KINDA WORKED - I installed windows 7 and the video card drivers(Or whatever was on the dvd... It's never really clear about what you're installing) but I still get no video. I have reseated both cards in many combinations... At that point, I was pretty much throwing any stupid scheme I could at this problem.

Parts:
(Link)
The video card is a Radeon HD 7870 GHz edition.
Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer
Rosewill RCX-Z90-CP 62.5 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer

I also have three DVDs:
The Windows 7 64 bit install disc,
The 7870 Drivers,
and this.

I've checked that the computer is properly assembled multiple times. In fact, I got the parts over a month ago, and I repeat this process every weekend... Checking everything is correct, trying to make it work... I've finally accepted that I'm a noob and I need some help.

Speculation:
I read on one forum that someone who had a similar problem had to flash their bios...
Honestly, I have no idea how to do that or even what update I need, but I am willing to learn and do whatever it takes to make this computer work!

If there's any more info I neglected to add, please ask!

Best solution

November 2, 2012 9:09:22 PM

make sure your ram is seated properly (it could be backwards(which would be bad))
make sure your video card is also seated properly with dvi/hdmi plugged in to both video card and monitor

cpu should be as close to perfectly seated as possible

does your system post? in other words does it beep when you turn it on?

ram needs to be the right type in order for it to work properly so make sure it's compatible with your motherboard and cpu

make sure the right power cables are connected to your video card

you should make sure you monitor is plugged in:) 

I am sorry if the obvious answers offended you but most of the time it is:) 

cheers...hoped I helped good luck:) 
a b B Homebuilt system
November 2, 2012 9:42:46 PM

Try to run the computer off of the motherboard graphics and see what happens.
m
l
Related resources
November 2, 2012 10:51:26 PM

jerador said:
make sure your ram is seated properly (it could be backwards(which would be bad))
make sure your video card is also seated properly with dvi/hdmi plugged in to both video card and monitor

cpu should be as close to perfectly seated as possible

does your system post? in other words does it beep when you turn it on?

ram needs to be the right type in order for it to work properly so make sure it's compatible with your motherboard and cpu

make sure the right power cables are connected to your video card

you should make sure you monitor is plugged in:) 

I am sorry if the obvious answers offended you but most of the time it is:) 

cheers...hoped I helped good luck:) 

Thanks for replying!

I'll reseat everything you mentioned and try, try again.

System post - No, it doesn't... I thought this was kinda strange. I must have hooked something up incorrectly, because previously I'd get like an a6 or a8 (I can't remember atm) but not hear any beeps...

I'll look and see which one it was.

Ram type: Next to the ram stick slots on the mobo there is "DDR3 2133". Is this the type of ram I need?

And on the ram packaging:
(link)
DDR3-1600Mhz PC3-12800 Memory

Supports DDR3 2133(OC)/1866(OC)/1600/1333/1066

Alright, that (maybe?) answers the ram question. I think it's supported, unless it gets even more specific than that.

~Power cables

Here's how they're hooked up:
(One)
(Two)

Alright. Off to reseat everything and try again.

I'll also try Deemo's suggestion. I'll be back soon!
m
l
November 2, 2012 10:54:40 PM

Deemo13 said:
Try to run the computer off of the motherboard graphics and see what happens.

I also just walked to the computer and realized i'm stupid for not remembering to say:

There's no place to plug in anything into the motherboard for this...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 3, 2012 8:11:25 AM

Its alright, should have looked up something before I made the post to check your motherboard.

Well, do you possibly have another computer to test some of the components with?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 3, 2012 8:12:15 AM

Also make sure there are no shorts and you have the motherboard risers on the motherboard.
m
l
November 3, 2012 6:02:50 PM

Alright, nothing seemed to work so far... Everything still appears to turn on but still no video output.
also, yeah I put in the motherboard risers... :(  Really confused as to what the problem is, but because everything turns on it leads me to believe that I have to update the bios somehow, because that comes up in mostly every other thread I can find, plus that's the only thing I could think of that I haven't tried yet.

How do I do this? How do I know what update I need?

Thanks for continuing to help! :) 
m
l
November 4, 2012 4:01:17 AM

brad134 said:

I'd get like an a6 or a8 (I can't remember atm) but not hear any beeps...

I'll look and see which one it was.

ah I didn't notice that you had dr debug on your system before(that little L.E.D on the motherboard) sorry about that...(need to pay more attention next time)

so what does that L.E.D display show you when you turn on your system?...the numbers/letters that flash by aren't really important it's the number/letter it stops on that's useful

in the manual it will show you what it means so you don't need to show me... unless you want to:) 
(some of them are hard to understand)
example...A6= scsi detected or 60= DXE core is started..
there both a bit well...not self explanatory

if it flashes tones of numbers/letters then shows nothing (unlikely in your case) then you have gone through post successfully(there is no beep on your motherboard unless you installed one which is unnecessary btw )

well good luck dude...:) 
m
l
November 13, 2012 11:17:36 PM

Best answer selected by brad134.
m
l
November 13, 2012 11:22:11 PM

Alright, yesterday I switched the two video card power plugs... I mistakenly believed that it didn't matter which one went into which slot in the PSU, as long as they're both plugged in. In any case, yes, I suppose it was something very very small. Thank you all so much!
m
l
!