Weird system crashing

jerador

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
my system crashes sometimes when playing games and listening to music(note this affect is rare)...now I say sometimes because I will be playing diablo 3(or other games) and music at the same time for days no problem and then (without changing anything) my entire pc becomes unresponsive and the only way to get out of it is to resort(with physical button)
so basically I can't recreate the problem...
I have been monitoring heat(no problem there)
voltage(no problem)
hardware is no problem ether
i7 3820 cpu
ssd 128gb
6970 amd video card
8gb 1600mhz ram ddr3
and windows 7 64bit
I look in task manager and there is no stress on hardware at all cpu 12% ram 3-4gbs used
never really checked gpu other then it's heat and that was fine
do you think that it could be a virus/bug/corrupt files/drivers?
I have changed a few drivers

if it was hardware wouldn't I be able to freeze my pc every time I played a game with music?

oh btw I have only ever froze while listening to music or you tube videos but never when I am just playing a game
because of this I changed drivers (2 days later system froze again )then swapped sound cards ( it worked for about 4-5 days...then froze while playing diablo 3 and music)
it seems like whatever I try doesn't fix it and I will waist hours days "trying!" to crash it with "no!" success

well it I will continue trying.... if you have any ideas let me know....that would be great!:) feel free to ask questions and make me feel like an idiot :) thanks:)

jerador

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012

xfx pro850w
as far as heat goes I am around 40F-60F depending on the game or application(cpu)
gpu runs at (62c) may go up to 70-75c which it wasn't doing before maybe this is a problem? though it's supposed to be fine up to 85-90c(HOT!) I will turn fans up a bit see if that helps..
thanks for reply:)

jerador

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012

I was saying that my gpu is rated for good performance up to 85-90 Celsius(which terns out to be wrong anyway) but not not that it actually goes that high(notice I said gpu not cpu big differences)
had my cpu actually got to that temperature it would be...well ...good thing this is not the case O'o!

my cpu stays around 45-50c(while playing games) I have a really nice cpu cooler on it:)

thanks for your reply "scout_03"

jerador

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012
I think it was my gpu after all though... because it would peak at 75-80c which is way hot for my gpu I have turned up fan speed and now it's 40-60c depending on the application
the reason I never thought of checking my gpu temp is because it's supposed to increase fan speed automatically...so I figured it should be fine(guess not)
I will let you know if it turns out good/bad

btw sorry for posting something that I really just needed to do my self(I am a dork sometimes aka idiot)

jerador

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012

no problem man:)

I was playing diablo 3 today and it froze again but this time I was smart and had hardware monitoring apps running on my second monitor as well so now I know what is going on with my hardware when the freezing happens

my cpu is 37"c (temp) speed 3600.70ghz which is weird because that means it was at 100% load...... so is it my cpu? (oh god I hope not:(..)

video card is 41% load 60"c...50% fan speed

I wish I would have monitored my ram too... I think from now on I will have task manager open in my second monitor just in case this happens again

ok so my thoughts are that my cpu is bad but...maybe not all bad because it seems to work just fine then according to the record I have shown it(maybe) freezes up past it's 3.6ghz range which would mean that it was in turbo mode at the point of it's freezing (if it's the cpu that would make sense but lets rule everything else out first)

so I turned off turbo mode if it fixes issue I will get a new cpu (when everything else is ruled out that is) .....but it also makes me think that there may be something wrong with ram so...maybe it's not cpu at all
I don't know...
let me know what you think (and anyone else reading this for that matter)

jerador

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012

my cpu is a LGA 2011 Sandy Bridge-E partialy unlocked quad core with hyper threading

acording to newegg it supports turbo boost and overclocking but perhaps this is not the case..

I didn't overclock at all just enabled turbo...(edit>>(which is overclocking)<<)I suppose it could be the problem just I was playing games like bf3 diablo 3 borderlands 2 all on max settings for months before the freezing started (with turbo active) so why (if that is the problem) would it be acting up now?....

I have turned it off and so far no problems

I have also reinstalled win7 I know it probly wasn't nessacery I just wanted to rule out curropt data/viruses... ect

I also noticed that my ssd was in hdd mode which wasn't supposed to be supported by it(totaly anoying I thought I had changed it to AHCI ) so could my ssd been the source? but again I was using it for munths before problems started...

I am working hard to get to the bottom of this and at this rate I will know everything about pc's by the time it's done so maybe somthing good will come of this

I thank you for your help and time:)

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador

jerador

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012

I set AHCI before install of win7 this time (thankfully)

I couldn't find anything about my ram not supporting overclocking but I never saw anyone use under 16gb (I have 8gb)
so I imagine that this is some rule (for my particular cpu) and I didn't get the memo.... everything else I have would though

anyway I haven't had any problems for 2 days now(it wouldn't be the first time) watch it will crash again tomarrow(not to be dramatic...just my luck)

I will let you know if it happens again thanks man...

jerador

Honorable
Jul 13, 2012

thanks scout_03
I haven't crashed in a few days now (I think problem is fixed) but if I ever crash again this should help so...I will give you best answer:)

cheers dude