Status
Not open for further replies.

jephers0n

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade my video card (currently a terrible Radeon HD 3400 series) to a:

XFX HD-667X-ZWF4 Radeon HD 6670 (1GB, GDDR5) card
Link to site

or,

an XFX Radeon HD 6770 HD677XZNFC (1024MB, GDDR5) Video Card
Link to site

or perhaps:

XFX HD-667X-CNFV AMD Radeon HD 6670 Video Card
Link to site

The stock PSU on my machine is a FSP300-60tha(1) running only 300W.

The stock graphics card on this machine was sufficient, as it's main use was as a music production machine, and not so much for gaming... But I'd like to start running some games on it now, and that video card is insufficient.

Other stats on the computer

PSU Model: FSP300-60THA(1)
8 GB RAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200
1 650GB HD
1 DVD/RW Drive

Radeon recommends a minimum PSU wattage of 450W for the HD-667X-ZWF4 card, and minimum PSU of 400W for the HD-677X-ZNFC card, and minimum 400W for the HD-667X-CNFV card.

I'm sure I'll have to upgrade my PSU, but would prefer to find a card which could run well on the current one, and I don't know where to begin if necessary to upgrade it. Any informed advice those of you on this forum could provide would be greatly appreciated!
(as is surely clear, I'm not very knowledgeable with the internal components of my machine, but I'd rather ask advice before I go and upgrade, so as to have minimal chance of problems)

jephers0n

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
Actually, I forgot to post the system specs in their entirety, as well.

Computer Spec Link

I'm also confused as to the difference between PCI Express x16, and PCI Express 3.0 (16) which it says the hd7750 requires. Does my machine satisfy that need?

Sorry for the noobish questions. I'm an audio guy, not so much a techy guy, if ya get me.

Thanks for the replies so far guys, very helpful, robjordy! (I also see under your avatar that you've already answered my questions pertaining to the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything)

Indeed ! 42 ! :lol:

Your FSP PSU is a good one. It should be able to run any of those graphics cards just fine (none of them use a lot of power). As robjordy suggests though, a HD7750 uses even less power, but is about as strong as a HD6770. PCIe x16 slots are backwards/forwards compatible, so a HD7750 will work in your system.
Graphics card manufacturers generally overstate their power supply requirements in the [often vain] attempt to account for all the overrated PSU-shaped objects out there (e.g. Apevia, Diablotek, Raidmax, CM) that aren't good for what's on their labels. FSP is one of the better manufacturers, so you'll be fine.

jephers0n

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
Thanks jtt283!

Last time I updated a video card on a machine was a decade ago, so all the new specs are way over my head. I miss the simpler times, haha!

Basically, I'm looking for the best card in the $100-$150 range which would run on my system without the need to upgrade my PSU.

Do you guys have any other suggestions I could look into, as I'm not so well versed in all of these newer cards?

As a reference, one of the games I've become quite attatched to is Smite (a new moba in beta, Smite system requirements ), and the standard FPS shooters, such as CS:GO, Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (battlefield, coincidentally, I got for free through EA, and my current setup can't even run it!)

jephers0n

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012

I understand that, I'm just wary of doing so. Thanks for the suggestion on the 7750, as well. I believe I may pick one up today or tomorrow!

Most of the PSU's I've looked into don't have a rear facing fan, which, due to my aspire tower would be necessary for venting. I guess I could break out the Dremel, and cut out part of the tower to provide a vent, but I'd rather not start modding my case haha! Although, Modding the tower in that way wouldn't be so hard.

I guess the problem for me, is I have no idea where to start looking for a new PSU based on the required power for all the parts of my computer (how many wires of each type would be required, etc). In simply trying to look for one earlier today I was overwhelmed with all of the specs I was reading.

I suppose since finding this site, I'd be able to ask the user-base here, and find some knowledgeable advice, as I have in this question thread. Probably even some suggestions on a new PSU with proper facing venting and size for my tower.

jephers0n

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
Thanks for the help, all. Order placed through Amazon, and should arrive tomorrow!

I must say, this site is great, and a very helpful and knowledgeable user-base!

Thanks again!

jephers0n

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
Haha, ever since reading The Hitchhikers Guide all those years ago, I've adopted the 'don't panic' mantra... and in cases dealing with PC issues, I tend to keep a towel close by for that exact reason hahaha!!

Status
Not open for further replies.