Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help Complete My Gaming & HTPC Build (Under $1k)

Last response: in Systems
November 2, 2012 9:57:01 PM

Okay guys, I had some parts selected that I know I want but anything motherboard-related sends me into the fetal position. Help me out, because parts compatibility is my worst nightmare haha.

Approximate Purchase Date: Mostly before Christmas (other than the 1-2 parts I'll get for Christmas)

Budget Range: $1,000 before rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (BF3 right now, but want to be ready to run the next FPS I like at max settings ideally), watching movies, surfing web, potentially some light graphic design program work.

Are you buying a monitor: No - Using my 27" Samsung TV

Do you need to buy OS: No; reusing my current builds Windows 7 x64

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Location: United States; no places locally to really buy things other than Best Buy.

Parts Preferences:Nvidia graphics card (660ti and 670 are top of my list so far),Intel CPU, Asus mobo, need a case under 20" in depth so probably going with the Corsair 300r, SSD (I'll use my HDD for storage of music/video/files etc.).

Overclocking: Maybe (nothing heavy)

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I don't want anything flashy on the outside of the case, although I DO want a side window. The inside, however, I'd like to have a really souped up look.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: My system is growing old and tired (Antec 900 power button wearing out, Athlon II X3 435 is starting to seem a bit slow, going to give my GTX560 to my girlfriend, and starting to have regular "dump to physical memory" BSOD's.

SSD: Intel 330 Series SSD
Case: Corsair 300r
GPU: EVGA GTX670
CPU: Intel i5 3570K
MOBO: ASUS preferred, recommendations needed
RAM: Unselected so far; recommendation needed along w/ mother board (want 8GB)
PSU: I'm not sure how much power I need yet - suggestions?
November 3, 2012 3:15:04 AM

Updated to include the things I definitely want at the bottom. Still unsure on the mother board, RAM, and power supply. I'll be getting a few other loose ends as well - Hyper 212 CPU cooler, Corsair rubber grommets, possibly a 5.25" bay fan controller. Any help is much appreciated.
m
l

Best solution

November 3, 2012 6:22:42 AM

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mkM1
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mkM1/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mkM1/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($23.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($103.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($352.00 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $954.93
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

The full price of this build will actually be 1004.93$
The only thing i could see that u mostly wouldent like is the amd gpu but at the price its a great deal and the motherboard u could switch out for this motherboard:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-p8z77vlx
Related resources
November 3, 2012 12:34:04 PM

Awesome, thanks mostersti! There are no compatibility issues with putting NVidia or ATI video cards on a GPU right? They would hypothetically be interchangeable on any mother board? I do a little bit of creating in Second Life which uses OpenGL, and I've always heard that NVidia is much better for OpenGL is the reason I was leaning that way.
m
l
November 3, 2012 12:35:06 PM

Best answer selected by aaron_c.
m
l
!