Sign in with
Your question
Closed

GTX 670 Screen Flicker Overlay

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 6, 2012 1:56:26 PM

I have a EVGA GTX 670 FTW. When I run my Samsung S23A700D at 120hz I get a screen flicker in the upper left corner of ym monitor that is an offset overlay of another part of the screen. Everything works fine though when I run the monitor at 60hz or 100hz.

I have tried everything I could think of to try and fix the problem from getting a new card to uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, using different versions of the drivers, different PCIE slots, making sure all the other components of my computer are fucntioning well, using different DL-DVI slots on the back of the card. I cannot seem to fix the problem or find someone who had the same problem and fixed it. I am not sure what kind of issue causes only 120hz to flicker. Could it be a bandwidth issue? or a compatability issue with some of my components?

I can provide any information needed to help solve this issue.
September 8, 2012 11:06:23 AM

I have the same monitor , only Nvidia GTX 275. I had posted the same issue on overclockers.net , one of the guy there replied that its the problem with Nvidia Drivers.

He told me 2 things :-
1)He has 240hz capable screen , still gets flickr above 60hz.
2)He tested it on 680 and 570 nvidia.both gave same problems.

So even i use 60hz now..did u find any solution ? fix?
Score
December 30, 2012 3:06:32 PM

dhanu007 said:
I have the same monitor , only Nvidia GTX 275. I had posted the same issue on overclockers.net , one of the guy there replied that its the problem with Nvidia Drivers.

He told me 2 things :-
1)He has 240hz capable screen , still gets flickr above 60hz.
2)He tested it on 680 and 570 nvidia.both gave same problems.

So even i use 60hz now..did u find any solution ? fix?

I have still not found a solution. The strange thing is when I try to record the problem so I can post a video to youtube, you cannot see the flicker in the recorded video.

Anyone having the same problem find a fix?
Score
Related resources
December 30, 2012 4:01:04 PM

dude still no solution , it is a problem with samsung and nvidia[some monitors] unluckily ours...
so i have decided to go with ATI next card..i tested on Radeon ATI cards , works flawlessly.
Score
January 1, 2013 5:25:26 PM

dhanu007 said:
dude still no solution , it is a problem with samsung and nvidia[some monitors] unluckily ours...
so i have decided to go with ATI next card..i tested on Radeon ATI cards , works flawlessly.

It has to be a samsung problem because I have the same issue with a Radeon 7950. So you don't have the issue with a Radeon card and samsung monitor?
Score
January 3, 2013 4:35:14 AM

cizewsmn said:
It has to be a samsung problem because I have the same issue with a Radeon 7950. So you don't have the issue with a Radeon card and samsung monitor?

I had testedd it with 7770 radeon , no issues...i thought then it was problem with nvidia...god now u tell me its also with 7950 !! i was gonna buy the same card ! have u tested with other cards?
Score
January 3, 2013 12:50:12 PM

dhanu007 said:
I had testedd it with 7770 radeon , no issues...i thought then it was problem with nvidia...god now u tell me its also with 7950 !! i was gonna buy the same card ! have u tested with other cards?

Unfortunately I have the same issue with both my GTX 670 and Radeon 7950, I don't have any other cards to test. I am going to be testing everything out on my friends Acer 120hz monitor soon to see if I can rule out the monitor as an issue. I will let you know what the results are.

In the meantime I have been trying everything I can find on this issue to try to fix it and nothing else has worked yet.
Score
January 4, 2013 5:10:28 PM

dhanu007 said:

I will be testing out my GTX 670 on the Acer monitor on Sunday, until then I will keep trying everything I can think of. I will also test out my Radeon 7950 to let you know what results I get from that are.

I am hoping it is my damn samsung monitor because that is the last thing I can think of.
Score
January 5, 2013 4:22:08 PM

dhanu007 said:

I took a video of it, sorry for the quality but had to do it on my phone, you can fast forward to 35 seconds to see the flicker. The frequency of the flicker increases depending on what I am doing. In BF3 it happens almost every 7-10 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C12v32nD4_c&feature=yout...

Score
January 8, 2013 11:35:40 AM

dhanu007 said:

If you found something that works well then I would say stick with it. I tried my monitor on my friends comp (at his place) and it worked fine so it has to be something with my computer that is not my video card (considering I tried both nvidia and radeon).

One thing to note is that when I plugged my monitor into its own seperate outlet and not the crappy power strip I have the frequency and severity of the flicker decreased. I believe that I am getting interferance in thr power in my apartment. I will be trying my friends high quality surge protector soon to see if that works.
Score
January 9, 2013 2:37:46 PM

ok , i have upgraded my proc and mobo , my hdd will come in 10 days, i will test it on my nvidia card[where previously i got mass flickrs] i will post wht happens, dont worry we will crack this thing soon.
Score
January 10, 2013 12:56:17 PM

dhanu007 said:
ok , i have upgraded my proc and mobo , my hdd will come in 10 days, i will test it on my nvidia card[where previously i got mass flickrs] i will post wht happens, dont worry we will crack this thing soon.

Sounds good, If that doesn't solve the issue I am going to try different RAM and see if that works.
Score
January 10, 2013 7:32:09 PM

Problem Solved , My previous motherboard was DG33FB, and i had q6600 , surely it wasnt the cpu , and my motherboard was little faulty..
now i have upgraded i5-3470 and motherboard b77 by gigabyte.

so motherboard is the reason , u need a good version of chipset or latest mobo coz tht monitor is new, and + if not tht ur processor needs to support 3d..something must be...
my problem got solved but dnt worry i will still help ya
Score
January 10, 2013 8:33:03 PM

dhanu007 said:
Problem Solved , My previous motherboard was DG33FB, and i had q6600 , surely it wasnt the cpu , and my motherboard was little faulty..
now i have upgraded i5-3470 and motherboard b77 by gigabyte.

so motherboard is the reason , u need a good version of chipset or latest mobo coz tht monitor is new, and + if not tht ur processor needs to support 3d..something must be...
my problem got solved but dnt worry i will still help ya

I have a Asus P8Z77-V Pro and i7-2600k. I had a feeling it might be the motherboard. Although my motherboard must have an issue with it because it is very new. Looks like I need to start figuring out what board to get.
Score
January 10, 2013 8:46:34 PM

hey i have the exact same problem when i purchased s23a700d running it at 120hz 1st i thought its a screen problem so i went to the store that i bought from and they tested it on my gpu asus DC II TOP GTX 660 the problem was very noticeable we used a benchmark freeware called Fur Mark which accelerate the usage of Gpu and fan speed by time while calculating fps my mobo is asus p8z77 v-pro with i5-3570k g.skill 8gb ram (4x2) 1600 cl9 all running at stock speed nothing is OC'd , so to make sure its a gpu problem we plugged my gpu into another pc an asus maximus v-gene with my own monitor and still same problem then we changed the gpu with an also asus but gtx 680 and the flickering thing was gone so we thought we was sure that its a gpu problem so they took the gpu for maintenance so i can get a replacement but they called me and told me to come and bring my own screen and compare it with another 120hz 23" screen it was an asus one only difference between it and mine was samsung is glossy and asus is matte (sorry cant remember actual product name of the asus one) , anyway when we tested it on the asus screen there was no flickering at all in same applications and game that i was running on the samsung so they told me that its a monitor problem and i went to its maintenance service this morning and they took it for internal testing and i should hear from them next Tuesday, so lets hope they can solve mine cuz customer services for PCs in egypt are really crappy and annoying even if u bought something same day and u found the problem with it in , u will be in hell till they decide what to do either refund or another one. sorry for the long post i hope i was useful with anything and will keep u updated with my current situation.
Score
January 10, 2013 9:22:40 PM

mohamademad said:
hey i have the exact same problem when i purchased s23a700d running it at 120hz 1st i thought its a screen problem so i went to the store that i bought from and they tested it on my gpu asus DC II TOP GTX 660 the problem was very noticeable we used a benchmark freeware called Fur Mark which accelerate the usage of Gpu and fan speed by time while calculating fps my mobo is asus p8z77 v-pro with i5-3570k g.skill 8gb ram (4x2) 1600 cl9 all running at stock speed nothing is OC'd , so to make sure its a gpu problem we plugged my gpu into another pc an asus maximus v-gene with my own monitor and still same problem then we changed the gpu with an also asus but gtx 680 and the flickering thing was gone so we thought we was sure that its a gpu problem so they took the gpu for maintenance so i can get a replacement but they called me and told me to come and bring my own screen and compare it with another 120hz 23" screen it was an asus one only difference between it and mine was samsung is glossy and asus is matte (sorry cant remember actual product name of the asus one) , anyway when we tested it on the asus screen there was no flickering at all in same applications and game that i was running on the samsung so they told me that its a monitor problem and i went to its maintenance service this morning and they took it for internal testing and i should hear from them next Tuesday, so lets hope they can solve mine cuz customer services for PCs in egypt are really crappy and annoying even if u bought something same day and u found the problem with it in , u will be in hell till they decide what to do either refund or another one. sorry for the long post i hope i was useful with anything and will keep u updated with my current situation.

It was not a GPU or monitor issue for me since. Everything is pointing towards a motherboard issue, at least for me.
Score

Best solution

January 11, 2013 3:24:42 AM

yeah , now m sure , for me it was the mobo issue.
January 11, 2013 11:02:05 AM

dhanu007 said:
yeah , now m sure , for me it was the mobo issue.

Do you think it was a faulty motherboard or the brand? I have an ASUS P8Z77 V-Pro and I really like ASUS motherboards so I would like to just get a new one but not if it might be an issue with ASUS.
Score
January 11, 2013 12:35:51 PM

my earlies was intel , now its gigabyte... i say try a friends mobo...
Score
January 18, 2013 12:36:51 PM

dhanu007 said:
my earlies was intel , now its gigabyte... i say try a friends mobo...

For now I am not going to replace my motherboard. I plan on building a new mahcine when Haswell is released anyway.
Score
January 18, 2013 12:37:26 PM

Best answer selected by cizewsmn.
Score
!