Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First build : ~$500 gaming system

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 2, 2012 10:20:12 PM

Hi, I'm going to build my own computer for the first time, and while I know all the basic parts from reading around, I don't know what to get for the value of my money.

Approx Purchase: probably later this month near Black Friday unless I can get a much better deal during the Christmas sales

Budget Range: ~$500. I live in California so newegg taxes the parts which will end up around 550.

Preferred Websites: amazon, newegg, but I can look into the sites listed by the pc parts picker website

Parts Preferences: I prefer an Intel CPU much more than an AMD, hopefully the Intel i3 of i5?
I only need a 320 gb hard drive

Overclocking/STI/Crossfire: Maybe, but I've never done this before

Monitor Resolution: 1680 X 1050 (Acer AL2116W)

Additional Comments:
The budget does not include the os and peripherals, I already have them
I think my price should be ok for my build because the games I play are: League of Legends, Diablo III, Wow, and I want to play skyrim but my current computer does not meet the vram requirements.
I'll be looking at everyone's opinions and thank you!
November 2, 2012 11:07:44 PM

Thing is, if you're planning on buying during Black Friday sales, I can only give you a general idea of what to look for because you'll want to be taking advantage of the best deals happening at the time..

It would also be helpful to know what the specs are on your current machine and if you are okay with cannibalizing it for parts. With a budget this tight, there's a good chance you can save money by salvaging things like HDD, DVD, maybe PSU or RAM, all depending on how old it is and what it's got.

$500 is pretty stringent when you have to include the OS. I did a quick build with current prices and came up with this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Pentium G2120 3.1GHz Dual-Core Processor ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock B75M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($61.97 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 650 1GB Video Card ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill REDBONE ATX Mid Tower Case ($32.00 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($35.83 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $416.75
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Then pick up your OS License here: http://www.softwaresupplygroup.com/microsoft-windows-7-...

That puts you just under $500, but there's a very good chance you'll be able to get better parts by taking advantage of Black Friday / Cyber Monday promos. Pretty much everything in that list is subject to change based on what deals are available then.
November 2, 2012 11:19:13 PM

Where in Canada are you? I know Atic in Vancouer has good stuff, and MemoryExpress in Calgary, you can find a couple Z77 motherboards for $100 or less, and of course the i5 3570K for $219 I think, 8GB DDR3 1600 ram for $35-45 depending but the video card will set you back a bit, a GTX560 or HD7850 but both would be around $200, that's already over $500.

Gonna be pretty hard to put together a gaming system that plays modern games for about that, I spend about $600-650 myself when I build new systems.
Related resources
November 2, 2012 11:20:12 PM

sorry, I meant California.
November 2, 2012 11:48:34 PM

Daenar said:
The budget does not include the os and peripherals, I already have them


ckholt83 said:
$500 is pretty stringent when you have to include the OS.


Derp. OP, what sort of settings do you want to play games on?

An AMD A10 can't max out Skyrim, but hey... neither can an i3 and graphics card for $500.

It's worth looking at an SPU build - they can be extremely cheap while still performing well.
Just remember to buy the fastest ram your motherboard can allow, and you'll get great performance.
November 3, 2012 12:30:31 AM

Sorry, reading comprehension fail I guess. I'm usually pretty good about that.

In that case I'd make the following changes:


PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B75M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($61.97 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card ($116.97 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill REDBONE ATX Mid Tower Case ($32.00 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $487.89
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)


But again, this is still just a guideline that would certainly need adjustments made come Black Friday.
November 3, 2012 12:34:02 AM

It's not his fault about the suggesting buying the os, my original comments were a bit unclear so I edited them.

I'm not looking for max settings, but I would at least mid-high settings for the games I listed. It seems like most people who are building around my price are going to buy:
Intel Pentium G2120 Ivy Bridge: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Intel i3-3220: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I guess I can choose the processor later when Black Friday sales arrive, since they both have the same socket?
November 3, 2012 12:38:41 AM

Yes, but again, I would consider an AMD A10... you won't have to buy discrete graphics, and could afford an SSD and better components that way.
November 3, 2012 4:47:21 AM

ckholt83 said:
Thing is, if you're planning on buying during Black Friday sales, I can only give you a general idea of what to look for because you'll want to be taking advantage of the best deals happening at the time..

It would also be helpful to know what the specs are on your current machine and if you are okay with cannibalizing it for parts. With a budget this tight, there's a good chance you can save money by salvaging things like HDD, DVD, maybe PSU or RAM, all depending on how old it is and what it's got.

$500 is pretty stringent when you have to include the OS. I did a quick build with current prices and came up with this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Pentium G2120 3.1GHz Dual-Core Processor ($94.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock B75M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($61.97 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 650 1GB Video Card ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill REDBONE ATX Mid Tower Case ($32.00 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($35.83 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $416.75
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Then pick up your OS License here: http://www.softwaresupplygroup.com/microsoft-windows-7-...

That puts you just under $500, but there's a very good chance you'll be able to get better parts by taking advantage of Black Friday / Cyber Monday promos. Pretty much everything in that list is subject to change based on what deals are available then.


Is that OS website legit? I can buy windows 7 for close to $70 rather than spending $100 if I order from that website or is there like some sort of catch?
November 3, 2012 5:08:04 AM

I've never used that website myself, I just borrowed the link when I saw someone else post the sale. I wouldn't expect there to be a catch though, I've seen newegg selling Win7 copies for $80 numerous times in the past, another $10 isn't unbelievable.
November 3, 2012 5:13:43 AM

ckholt83 said:
I've never used that website myself, I just borrowed the link when I saw someone else post the sale. I wouldn't expect there to be a catch though, I've seen newegg selling Win7 copies for $80 numerous times in the past, another $10 isn't unbelievable.

Just wondering, never seen that link and you would expect it to be passed around a lot since its a lot cheaper than usually. Will do more research, thanks.
!