Upgrade? GeForce 560ti x2 = GeForce 660ti x1?

MaxArk

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2012
I am currently running 3 Acer 23" LCD monitors in Nvidia surround using two GeForce 560ti cards in SLI. A 4th monitor is being driven by an older GeForce 8500 card.

My question ... am I able to replace the two GeForce 560ti cards with one GeForce 660ti card? Or would I continue to need 2 separate cards again in SLI? I'm hoping I can upgrade without the significant cost of upgrading two cards.

Rob

MaxArk

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2012
Thanks for the reply Bolivious. Here's my situation. I'm am trying to optimize graphics and performance with MS FSX ... which does not benefit from SLI. I really only have it SLI to drive the three monitors. FSX folk are telling me my graphics setup is a bottleneck and I should consider the 660. I will, but not if I have to buy 2.

Does this change your recommendation?

The 660Ti can drive 4 monitors all on its lonesome.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-660ti/specifications

Bolivious

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012

This is really the question. If you game on one monitor, then get a 670 and you will be good to go on that front.

MaxArk

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2012
OK ... seems I've tapped into some really good input here. So .. I will clarify, and see what reactions I get.

Currently gaming over all 3 monitors in surround mode with the 2 560s. I believe the resolution I am running (and I'm guessing at this point) is 6027x1024x32. I have a fourth monitor running off the Geforce 8500 as a support display in which resolution is unimportant.

If I can drive the three monitors off one card, at under $350 that would be the cat's butt. If I can do all 4, call that an added bonus. I would imagine that would help the CPU out some. I can run out now and get a 660ti if that is what I'm looking for. For a few extra $$, I can do the 670 ... which would be best for my scenario?

And then I have to ask ... how would I connect the monitors. Do these new cards have 3 DVI outputs (white connectors) for the three monitors? Or would I have to change monitors?

Have you looked at the link I provided?

Nope if you game on 3 monitors get the 670 for the extra ram if you game on 1 the 560ti's will likely outperform the 660 ti possibly the 670 in some/half the situations

MaxArk

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2012

I did yes ... I see it supports 4 monitors, only 2 DVI outputs, so .... what option do I have for the 3rd monitor?

And these statements kinda scare me ...

2 - NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround require two or more graphics cards in NVIDIA SLI configuration, 3D Vision glasses and three matching 3D Vision-Ready displays. See www.nvidia.com/surround for more information.

3 - A GeForce GTX 670 GPU must be paired with another GeForce GTX 670 GPU (graphics card manufacturer can be different). SLI requires sufficient system cooling and a compatible power supply. See the list of SLI-Certified components for more information.

Not sure if any of this relates to my situation. All I know, is now, I am forced to use 2 identical cards, in SLI, surround mode to span the display across 3 DVI connected monitors.

I'm looking towards the 670 if my worries are unnecessary. Doing my homework unlike what I did with the 560's.

Also ... I'm using an ASUS P6X58D-E motherboard. I know thew 660 and 670 are both PCI Express 3, but this motherboard only has PCIe 2. Change things?

Bolivious

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012

Thats what I meant, I had it right in my head and came out backwards on the keyboard.

loops

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
I'd say sell the 560ti cards...that should net you close to 200 bucks...then gun for a 670.

The only reason I dislike the 560 line is the low gpu ram and how increasing AA demands are going to really hurt the cards attractiveness.

Just get the 660 or 670 it will do what you want just fine. As for connectors you will need a displayport to DVI-D or a HDMI to DVI-D they dont have to be active so cheap online. It does not require SLI unless you are doing 3d and surround. You are only doing surround.

Thent

TRENDING THREADS