Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade? GeForce 560ti x2 = GeForce 660ti x1?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 6, 2012 2:04:23 PM

I am currently running 3 Acer 23" LCD monitors in Nvidia surround using two GeForce 560ti cards in SLI. A 4th monitor is being driven by an older GeForce 8500 card.

My question ... am I able to replace the two GeForce 560ti cards with one GeForce 660ti card? Or would I continue to need 2 separate cards again in SLI? I'm hoping I can upgrade without the significant cost of upgrading two cards.

Rob
September 6, 2012 2:23:27 PM

At this point your SLI 560tis > Single 660ti. Unless you are having issues with the SLI setup, I would stick with it.
m
l
September 6, 2012 2:34:26 PM

Thanks for the reply Bolivious. Here's my situation. I'm am trying to optimize graphics and performance with MS FSX ... which does not benefit from SLI. I really only have it SLI to drive the three monitors. FSX folk are telling me my graphics setup is a bottleneck and I should consider the 660. I will, but not if I have to buy 2.

Does this change your recommendation?
m
l
Related resources
a c 272 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 6, 2012 2:36:17 PM

MaxArk said:
Thanks for the reply Bolivious. Here's my situation. I'm am trying to optimize graphics and performance with MS FSX ... which does not benefit from SLI. I really only have it SLI to drive the three monitors. FSX folk are telling me my graphics setup is a bottleneck and I should consider the 660. I will, but not if I have to buy 2.

Does this change your recommendation?

The 660Ti can drive 4 monitors all on its lonesome.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gt...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2012 2:40:09 PM

I believe nVidia cards are limited to 2 displays a card. So a 660 Ti wouldn't get it done alone.
Maybe you should consider a Radeon HD 7950 instead.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2012 2:41:16 PM

Quote:
The 660Ti can drive 4 monitors all on its lonesome.

Nevermind...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2012 2:41:22 PM

Are you gaming on all the monitors ? If so the extra ram may actually help but if this is the issue I suggest spending more for the 670 since the 560ti's are already likely more powerful than the 670 at resolutions 1920 x 1080
m
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 6, 2012 2:41:43 PM

stant1rm said:
I believe nVidia cards are limited to 2 displays a card. So a 660 Ti wouldn't get it done alone.
Maybe you should consider a Radeon HD 7950 instead.

You need to do some research as you are some way behind current events. :pfff: 
m
l
September 6, 2012 2:47:17 PM

spentshells said:
Are you gaming on all the monitors ? If so the extra ram may actually help but if this is the issue I suggest spending more for the 670 since the 560ti's are already likely more powerful than the 670 at resolutions 1920 x 1080

This is really the question. If you game on one monitor, then get a 670 and you will be good to go on that front.
m
l
September 6, 2012 2:57:50 PM

OK ... seems I've tapped into some really good input here. So .. I will clarify, and see what reactions I get.

Currently gaming over all 3 monitors in surround mode with the 2 560s. I believe the resolution I am running (and I'm guessing at this point) is 6027x1024x32. I have a fourth monitor running off the Geforce 8500 as a support display in which resolution is unimportant.

If I can drive the three monitors off one card, at under $350 that would be the cat's butt. If I can do all 4, call that an added bonus. I would imagine that would help the CPU out some. I can run out now and get a 660ti if that is what I'm looking for. For a few extra $$, I can do the 670 ... which would be best for my scenario?

And then I have to ask ... how would I connect the monitors. Do these new cards have 3 DVI outputs (white connectors) for the three monitors? Or would I have to change monitors?
m
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 6, 2012 3:02:50 PM

MaxArk said:
OK ... seems I've tapped into some really good input here. So .. I will clarify, and see what reactions I get.

Currently gaming over all 3 monitors in surround mode with the 2 560s. I believe the resolution I am running (and I'm guessing at this point) is 6027x1024x32. I have a fourth monitor running off the Geforce 8500 as a support display in which resolution is unimportant.

If I can drive the three monitors off one card, at under $350 that would be the cat's butt. If I can do all 4, call that an added bonus. I would imagine that would help the CPU out some. I can run out now and get a 660ti if that is what I'm looking for. For a few extra $$, I can do the 670 ... which would be best for my scenario?

And then I have to ask ... how would I connect the monitors. Do these new cards have 3 DVI outputs (white connectors) for the three monitors? Or would I have to change monitors?

Have you looked at the link I provided?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2012 3:25:18 PM

Bolivious said:
This is really the question. If you game on one monitor, then get a 670 and you will be good to go on that front.

Nope if you game on 3 monitors get the 670 for the extra ram if you game on 1 the 560ti's will likely outperform the 660 ti possibly the 670 in some/half the situations
m
l
September 6, 2012 3:45:05 PM

Mousemonkey said:
Have you looked at the link I provided?

I did yes ... I see it supports 4 monitors, only 2 DVI outputs, so .... what option do I have for the 3rd monitor?

And these statements kinda scare me ...

2 - NVIDIA 3D Vision Surround require two or more graphics cards in NVIDIA SLI configuration, 3D Vision glasses and three matching 3D Vision-Ready displays. See www.nvidia.com/surround for more information.

3 - A GeForce GTX 670 GPU must be paired with another GeForce GTX 670 GPU (graphics card manufacturer can be different). SLI requires sufficient system cooling and a compatible power supply. See the list of SLI-Certified components for more information.

Not sure if any of this relates to my situation. All I know, is now, I am forced to use 2 identical cards, in SLI, surround mode to span the display across 3 DVI connected monitors.

I'm looking towards the 670 if my worries are unnecessary. Doing my homework unlike what I did with the 560's.

Also ... I'm using an ASUS P6X58D-E motherboard. I know thew 660 and 670 are both PCI Express 3, but this motherboard only has PCIe 2. Change things?
m
l
September 6, 2012 4:47:41 PM

spentshells said:
Nope if you game on 3 monitors get the 670 for the extra ram if you game on 1 the 560ti's will likely outperform the 660 ti possibly the 670 in some/half the situations

Thats what I meant, I had it right in my head and came out backwards on the keyboard.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2012 4:55:22 PM

I'd say sell the 560ti cards...that should net you close to 200 bucks...then gun for a 670.

The only reason I dislike the 560 line is the low gpu ram and how increasing AA demands are going to really hurt the cards attractiveness.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2012 4:55:34 PM

:D 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
September 6, 2012 4:56:35 PM

Just get the 660 or 670 it will do what you want just fine. As for connectors you will need a displayport to DVI-D or a HDMI to DVI-D they dont have to be active so cheap online. It does not require SLI unless you are doing 3d and surround. You are only doing surround.

Thent
m
l
September 6, 2012 4:59:24 PM

Thanks folks! Will be selling the 560s to finance the 670. A HDMI to DVI adpater and lickity slip - I have my 3 monitors in surround.
m
l
!