Need a build. $1500-$1800 Budget

SuperJosh

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Hello,

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: Black Friday - Beginning of January.

Budget Range: $1500-$1800.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, programming, and Hd Video editing

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (e.g.: newegg.com, amazon

Parts Preferences: None. I want the best performance for the money.

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Doesn't need any bling, and basic case will do. I need a good mouse and keyboard also.

malbluff

Honorable
The ideal system rather depends on the level and amount of photo/video work, you are doing. Assuming a lot, I have allowed for i7 processor. The system could be modified if only needing i5.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.22 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($189.86 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.93 @ Amazon)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($103.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($366.97 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($89.33 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($74.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1701.23
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

I've not included keyboard/mouse. That very much depends exactly what you want.

Personally, throwing my two cents into the keyboard / mouse arena...

If you're typing a lot, or want exact precision, buy a mechanical keyboard. They're expensive, but completely worth it - the amount of fatigue you lose and typing speed you gain... It's worth it. I thought it was pointless till I tried one - now I'm a convert. (If you aren't, I LOVE the comfort curve 2000 - it's not heavily ergonomic, and EXTREMELY well built - my mother has one that's never been cleaned, had drinks spilled on it many times, is five years old, and still types perfectly.)

As for a mouse, I personally don't like many 'gaming' mice - they feel uncomfortable. (Even the legendary g9x hurt.) I'd go with one of two things: A simple, well built 5-button mouse (I like the Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 and the Comfort 6000 - as a bonus, Microsoft has good macro software.) or: an extremely nice mouse that's either customizable or that you can try out somewhere to feel the fit.

The only things to avoid are these two brands: Razor (Yeah, they have some nice stuff, but it's EXPENSIVE, and built to only last 6 months - that ads up quickly) and MadCatz, which is a crapo rip-off brand.

^I like the deathadder shape, but I've found it to be of extremely bad build quality - I had two of them die on me within months before I stopped going with them. The two mice I mentioned have the same shape and number of buttons, and, personally, feel better.