XFX Radeion HD 7950 Question

MonkeyMan806

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Hello TH Forum community.... I want to pick up a Radeon HD 7950 so I headed over to NewEgg and started my search. I really like the look of the XFX line and have heard really good things about their warranty / support. However I ran into a problem that has really caused me to question a few things:

1. If you go to newegg and search "XFX Radeon HD 7950" you get a return of 5 items

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=XFX+Radeon+HD+7950&x=18&y=16

• 3 of them are Double D and 2 are single fans so that makes it a little more easy... as I would want the Double D version

• 1 of them is Black Edition which to my understand is a slight OC from 800 to 900MHz

So here is my question :

The FX-795A-TDJC and FX-795A-TDFC seem to be the same card but yet there is a $30.00 difference betwen them (also one is slightly longer then the other)... is that it or am I missing something?

Then add in the fact that the Black Edition is set in the middle of those to "Non-Black Edition" cards price point...

Does anyone understand this or have any thoughts on these cards?

Is the Black Edition a problem card due to OC and that is why it is cheaper then a non-Black Edition Card...

Hopefully someone here understands or gets it... and is willing to help me out to undestand this and which card is better

Thanks guys

MonkeyMan806

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
Agree... it is hard to find the order of these cards as to the one that should be purchased. And the fact that the Black Edition is priced in between the two normal cards is a little odd to me as well

Well i thought one has all of this and the other don't ;

AMD Advanced Parallel Processing Technology (APP)

AMD Avivo HD

AMD Eyefinity Technology

AMD HD3D Technology

AMD Hybrid Graphics Technology

AMD PowerPlay Technology

AMD Stream Technology

But looking at it now ; i can't imagine the other one not having Eyefinity ( thats standard is it ? ) etc. I dunno.

Probably just that very expensive connector then . . . :heink:

MonkeyMan806

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
I think my biggest concern is that while I love dealing with NewEgg I don't trust there spec list and compare because I have found a number of issues with them in the past.

The idea that the "TDFC" model is $30.00 more for a slightly smaller card and 1 less Dual Link DVI connect is very strange to me

As for the feature list I find it very hard to think they would sell a card without the standard feature set of all current Radeon HD cards so it has to be an oversight from NewEgg

Then add in the fact that the Black Edition OC card is less than the "TDFC" model really doesn't add up at all... unless this OC card has been out longer and had a ton of issues so they are trying to clear out their stock.

• Has any one heard of negative issues with the XFX Black Edition 7950 cards?

• What are your thoughts on which of these cards should be purchased?

MonkeyMan806

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010

Everything I am seeing shows it to be the same Lifetime Warranty (Reg Required)... where did you get this informaiton from

MonkeyMan806

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010

No, from what I am seeing all the Double Ds (and maybe others) have a Lifetime Warranty provided you Reg them within 30 Days (verified on NewEgg and XFX Website)

MonkeyMan806

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010

I know... it is DRIVING ME CRAZY... have emailed XFX... posted on here... tried contacting NewEgg... I just want the answer at this point lol :fou:

Why are they staged this way in price points... why are they different with lesser = more cost... it is driving me mad :sarcastic:

MonkeyMan806

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
OK boys and girls... I finally think I got my head around this question. :bounce:

All XFX 7950 cards on Neweggs site are CURRENT but they DO NOT make sense for price points so it might be a great time to buy if you are in the market.

• FX-795A-TDJC
This is a Factory Clocked 7950 @ 800MHz - Double D Cooled @ $319.99
It has 2 DVI connections and is 10.8" Long

• FX-795A-TDFC
This is a Factory Clocked 7950 @ 800 MHz - Double D Cooled @ 349.99
It has 1 DVI connection and is 10.5" Long

Let's stop right there for a moment... Both cards are current and the only difference is an extra DVI Connection and .3" in length.

For me it is simple... pay $30.00 less for more with the FX-795A-TDJC (THERE IS NO OTHER DIFFERENCE)

I went line by line on XFX's website and saw no difference at all - because none is listed with the exception of an extra DVI for a .3" longer card (SAVE THE $30 bucks)

OK let's move on

• FX-795A-TDBC
Now this is the Black Edition Card - Factory Clocked at 900 MHz with the 10.5" length and single DVI connection. It is the more expensive non black edition card (listed above) but Over Clocked... nothing else is different @ - $339.99

All 3 are Lifetime Warranty with Registration within 30 Days of purchase...

So which card to get?

If you want 2 DVI Connections then your choice is simple = The FX-795A-TDJC which is less than either of the other two Double D Cards out.

If you don't care about 2 DVI Connections but care more about power then it is simple = The FX-795A-TDBC Black Edition for only $339.99 (still cheaper than the non Black Edition single DVI card - WoW)

Then there are the two Single Fan (Non Double D) 7950 Cards from XFX... personally I wouldn't buy them cause the Double D is nice to have and really does matter for cooling but anyway...at least they make sense in price point...

• FX-795A-TNFC
This is a standard 7950 @ 800 MHz from the factory with only 1 DVI and 1 Cooling
fan - it cost $319.99

• FX-795A-TNBC
This is a Black Edition Single Fan 7950 @ 900 MHz with 1 DVI and 1 Cooling Fan
it cost $329.99

Both of the Single Fan (NON DOUBLE D) Cards come with ONLY a 2 year warranty... SO NOT ALL BLACK EDITION CARDS COME WITH LIFETIME WARRANTY

So why else would I never buy the FX-795A-TNFC Single Cooling Fan Card?

How about because I can get the DOUBLE D VERSION WITH AN EXTRA DVI CONNECT for the SAME PRICE... man my head is spinning

I hope this helps all that were involved in this post... lol :pt1cable: