Random shutdown, GPU fan @ full speed, Now, not starting again.

kmr1154

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012
Hello

My PC is custom build and here are the specs

intel core i3 530 cpu
intel dh55tc motherboard
8 gb ram (2 + 2 + 4gb)ddr3
hd 5830 1 gb gpu
corsair cx600 v2 smps

So the thing is these weird random shutdowns these days, whenever i regular work on my PC basically, my pc shuts down itself, first monitor goes off then gpu fan goes to 100% speed (maybe more than 100%), HDD led goes very dim, power led stays off, led inside motherboard stays on. To shut this thing down i have to forcefully cut its power source.

The main thing is my PC doesn't even starts again after a shutdown like this, when i press the power button to start it again, all the components inside cpu starts for about a second then goes off and hdd led stays on but very dim.

To start this thing i have tried a lot of things including cleaning up the mess of wires, cleaning up dust, removing and re-placing the ram, replace sata cables. At last, i thought it is my smps which has given up (bought this april 2012) but i tested it with hair pin test and it worked perfectly (connected atx green wire to any of the black ones).

The trick which worked for me is that, i removed atx connector from motherboard than pushed the power button(i know it won't start) then turned off the power and re-plugged the atx connector to its place, now my PC started like before after pressing the power button.

Now i want to ask the expects what do u think is the problem? Is it hardware related (My GPU or Motherboard) or some software incompatibility? I am asking about incompatibility because i am using windows 8 release preview since 4 months, i never had such an issue with windows 7 or any previous version of windows.

Now this problem is expanding, whenever i shutdown my PC, it is putting me on the same situation like when that random shutdown happens. I have to always remove atx plug from CPU to start my machine. Please tell me any permanent solution to this. How do I know if my gpu or motherboard is bad or some other hardware?

Please help me if u know anything about this problem!!!!!

Thanks in advanced

That the PSU starts doesn't mean it's good. The Builder V2 series was made by Channel Well, not Seasonic, using inferior Samxon capacitors from a line known to experience early failure. While that may not be what has happened, ruling it out by testing with another PSU makes sense.
Links: start here, and follow the referenced link to the badcaps.org forum: http://forums.hardwaresecrets.com/not-so-tough/8805?threadid=8805?goto=newpost

kmr1154

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2012
Thanks for your reply,

You mentioned my psu, but I tested it with hair pin for about a week and it ran flawlessly without any problems, if I am about to replace it, what do I say to the service person? He won't believe me that this smps is bad, so no replacement without any proof of damage.

Also I don't have a spare smps equivalent in power of cx600 v2. I only have generic cheap w450 smps which can't even run my second hdd, so no way it can run my hd5830 which is a power eater card.
So, any good suggestions?