Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading my PC

Last response: in Systems
November 3, 2012 3:11:53 AM

Hey guys, Need to upgrade my PC to play high end games setting...need some advice on which should i upgrade and what best for it.

My spec is here:

System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_rtm.101119-1850)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
System Model: FQ565AA-ABA a6700f
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 9150e Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs), ~1.8GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3582MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series
Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x68BF)
DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68BF&SUBSYS_314B1682&REV_00
Display Memory: 2550 MB
Dedicated Memory: 1015 MB
Shared Memory: 1535 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

and i'm not sure, if i should upgrade to Intel build or stay put to amd. what you think guys?
Thanks guys.

More about : upgrading

November 3, 2012 3:15:50 AM

I forgot the budget is...well i'm not sure if , these budget is enough. well i think about for $500 for now. is that enough for the upgrade for the high end games..like blade and soul, assasin creed 3 or black ops on high setting?
m
l
November 3, 2012 3:21:18 AM

If you have the budget for it, a complete rebuild is in order. You have one of AMD's "e" CPUs, which were intended to save power, not perform well. It's also a Phenom I, which putting it bluntly, sucks by modern standards.
With a rebuild, you will need to include the cost of another copy of Windows. What is your graphics card? If it is a HD6770 or HD6790, you need not feel compelled to replace it right away, but expect to play on lowered settings until you do. If it is a HD6750 or lower, you'll probably want to replace it with something like a HD7850 or HD7870.
Edit: I see you posted your budget while I was posting. Needing Windows, that's going to be tight, but you can probably fit an i3, especially if you can wait for the graphics card upgrade.

m
l
Related resources
November 3, 2012 3:45:46 AM

Well for the window about it, i think i have no problem on that. only the hardware to be upgrade it.
So If i rebuild it, what would be the list of price that i can go on, on able to play a high game, like blade of soul for example?
Should i go on intel build or the AMD build? which go cheaper either way?
thank you for replying me by the way :) 
m
l
November 3, 2012 5:03:01 AM

so i think i done some research for...
I think i will go to amd because for some reason it's cheaper one.
And i think i only play blade and soul online game for the time.
i'm not really a gamer, but i want to play the game flawlessly.
so my though is to pick the AMD Phenom II X4 975 Black Edition´╗┐ Deneb 3.6GHz and the GPU is Radeon HD 7850 1GB and the motherboard is that i'm not sure what i choose about. is that enough to play a blade and soul or some like assasin creed game? Please help me. :( 
m
l
November 3, 2012 12:05:16 PM

Hi,

Suggest you get the 7850 1GB video first (nice!) and see if there is enough improvement that you can stop upgrading and start saving for a future MB swap.

I could not find spec on your current power supply, but you will need to swap anything you likely have to get he 7850 to run. An Antec vp-450 is a good supply at around $45.

The comments that windows7 requires you to get a new license if you swap MB/processor are not correct. I research this before doing it on XP and had no problems the 3 times i've done it. You will need to re validate the license over the network which takes less than 1 minute. I've only done this once on win7 and did not reread the licence FAQ at MS support, but the OEM win7 licence transferred just fine. Your HP recovery media will not work on a non-HP motherboard (google code purple) so make new backup plans like using win7 backup to create an image on an external drive.

For $500 you could also start with an I3 based new system and add in the hd7850 and sell your old system. The net on that should be $500 or less.

If you go with the new AMD Phenom II X4 975 then you have two problems. First make sure that the CPU is listed by HP as a supported upgrade on your MB. The Phenom II X4 975 draws a lot more power than your current CPU and your MB may not be able to supply it. If the cpu is supported make sure you get on the most recent MB BIOS version before you try to swap CPUs so the BIOS recognizes it. Do look at the Artic Silver thermal paste Youtube videos to see how to attach the heat sink. Second problem, your HP motherboard will not allow you to OC the Phenom II X4 975 so you are paying extra for Black Edition overclocking functions you cannot use. Get the next processor down that is not BE.
m
l
November 4, 2012 3:36:49 AM

Hi,
well i'm thinking i will do the 7850 1GB like you said .So by the way, concerning on I3 based , on what you said. My PSU are now 450w already, i did upgrade last time on purchasing my last graphics card for the sake of HD 6700 Series.
So if i proceed on I3 based based on what you said, is the I3 good enough to play like Assasin creed 2 and blade and soul online game, on nice platform setting? if so, what kind of motherboard do i have to purchase and what are the Ram should i go on? and if i get the i3 cpu is the i5 a big different on performance? because i can rise the $500 if it's worth it, but like i said, i'm not much a gamer. I just want to play a flawless performance on great graphics not best.

by the way here the spec for the blade and soul game.

Recommended System Requirements:
CPU Intel Quad core or AMD Phenom II X4 or better
RAM 4G or more
Video Card nVidia Geforce 8800GT or AMD Radeon HD 4850 or better
Hard Disk 15GB or more
OS Window XP, Vista or Window 7(32/64bit)
DirectX 9.0c

what you think?
sorry for asking a lot..:( 
m
l
November 4, 2012 3:57:38 AM

I would say you should get a FX4300 with a 7850. Finally the new PD fx cpus are faster or on par with the phenom IIs.

I you want a phenom then get a 965 and overclock it. Not much point in getting a 975.
m
l
November 4, 2012 11:26:41 AM

stillcabual said:
Hi,
... is the I3 good enough to play like Assasin creed 2 and blade and soul online game, on nice platform setting? if so, what kind of motherboard do i have to purchase and what are the Ram should i go on? and if i get the i3 cpu is the i5 a big different on performance? because i can rise the $500 if it's worth it, . ..:( 

You might like the gameplay with the 7850 and your slower CPU. Try it.

Best way I know to see if a combo can game is look at Youtube videos. You'll be able to find a set of videos of assasin's creed, etc., using an i3 and various video cards. Your 7850 will be better than most of the video cards used. Some of the software used to capture the youtube videos eats CPU and disk, so most time (unless someone is faking their specs) you will game the same or better than the video shows. You can also look at PC assembly videos and see if you want to to MB swap, etc.

Price difference between i3 and i5 is $60 compared to total price of CPU+MB of = $250-300. For me the the i5 gives some future proofing again 18months from now "all the new games are heavily threaded, you need at least a quad core, that old i3 won't cut it", however I buy stuff and sit on it for a while (typing on an i7-920 with gtx260 video -- circa 2009) so buying good stuff is important to me. If you swap more frequently you might not get $60 of extra value from the i5 in it's service life
i3-3220 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz = $130
i5-3350P Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz = $190

This article gives frame rate differences for i3 vs. i5 using huge video (HD 7970). Look at game benchmark tables: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-4170-core-i3-322...
m
l
November 5, 2012 12:33:47 AM

Quote:
Spoiler
Quote:
I could not find spec on your current power supply, but you will need to swap anything you likely have to get he 7850 to run. An Antec vp-450 is a good supply at around $45.

I have a question about the 7850, i'm bit confuse on the PSU you recommended one me, you said i have to get the An Antec vp-450 PSU in 450wats right?, so my question is, i see the minimum req wats on 7850 it's said 500 wats. http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/78... .
will you mind explain it to me ? i'm sorry, i think i'm not really good on hardware stuff,only know basic things. :( 

and about these GPU , what is the different between these two?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/78...

i know the brand name are different and price, but what about the performance? are they same with just different name or the other one lot more performance and HD ( Because it said HD, lol)

:) 
m
l
November 5, 2012 12:42:35 AM

jaideep1337 said:
I would say you should get a FX4300 with a 7850. Finally the new PD fx cpus are faster or on par with the phenom IIs.

I you want a phenom then get a 965 and overclock it. Not much point in getting a 975.

Hi, First of all, thank you for replying my message. and second , i'm a bit interested on what you said, because for me these thing will do on my current budget. but i have a one question, like the FX4300 can i pair on my current mobo or do i have to get a new mobo on to get work?
m
l
November 5, 2012 1:20:05 AM

stillcabual said:
Quote:
Spoiler
Quote:

I have a question about the 7850, i'm bit confuse on the PSU you recommended one me, you said i have to get the An Antec vp-450 PSU in 450wats right?, so my question is, i see the minimum req wats on 7850 it's said 500 watts.... <snip>

i know the brand name are different and price, but what about the performance? are they same with just different name or the other one lot more performance and HD ( Because it said HD, lol)

:) 

Hi, There are many really bad power supplies out there. There are no good standards for rating PSUs. So graphic card makers protect themselves by overspecing the PSU and hoping that at 50% load it will work correctly.

"...AMD advertises the board power at 130W (7850) ..." http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_hd_7850...

i3 or i5, both are under 100W. Google i3 and TDP to see this in the intel specs.

You MB, memory, disk, optical, etc. total less than 50W. So the total draw on your PC with i5 and 7850 and MB is around 300W, maybe 350 if you overclock heavily. Thus the recommendation for the strong antec vp-450. It can run that system. However you can certainly put in a larger PSU if you want.

re: the different HD7850s. The board makers buy the same chip. Then they surround it with different stuff. I tend to trust newegg and amazon ratings. If a board has no ratings I worry. When it has 10 ratings with most good I'm happy. Lesser cards are sometimes bulk built by AMD or NVIDIA, then the "maker" just puts a sticker on it. Those are called "reference design" cards. When a card maker puts different cooling or different PCB layout or different quality capacitors then you are no longer "reference".

For me, I'd read a few reviews. Make sure the card has a quiet fan. Check that the card is not getting bad reviews then buy the cheapest that meets all three criteria. I tend not to worry about 3 year vs. 1 year warranty. You could also just pick one that looks nice. If you want AMD's bundled game make sure the one you buy comes with it.
m
l
!