Upgreading my computer (need help/tips)

Jack Blqck

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
Okay , hello there my name is Jack and i came up on this forum to ask for some help with tips/info from experienced people on how to build a proper gaming computer .

My back story , i am not a hard core gamer playing on a high maxed settings , or spent thousands of Euros / $ on pc hardware/software .

Recently my old motherboard broke and i decided it is time to upgrade my computer hardware.

What i have left and thinking of using is :

My Dvd/Cd writer
Sata hard disk 160 gb
Ati Radeon HD 4600 1gb

(I Also got a free i7 2600k 3.4 ghz from a friend of mine (unused) with an TX3 Cooler)

Now what i am looking thinking of buying is :

Motherboard
Power supply
8~16 Gb ram at 1600mhz or higher
Computer case
x2 80mm fans and x1 120 mm fan

I was searching the net and came up on this few items :

Motherboard : MSI P67A-C43 (B3)
Power Supply : CORSAIR GAMING SERIES GS600 600W PSU 80+ CERTIFIED CMPSU-600GEU
Ram : CORSAIR CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9B VENGEANCE 4GB PC3-12800 BLUE x2
Case : ASUS VENTO TA-822
Fans : x2 SHARKOON LOW NOISE 80MM CASE FAN / x1 SHARKOON SILENT CASE FAN 120MM

This all will cost me 323 Euros.

I have a budget of 350 Euros to spent.

So what do you guys think ?

I'm looking to be able to play the latest FPS games like New call of duty / battlefield 3 / medal of honor on medium settings.

Any help / tips / or suggestions of what might be better please post above , any help will be really appreciated.

Thank you - Jack.
[strike][/strike]

malbluff

Honorable
Frankly, I doubt you will get any noticable performance gain over your old system. Whilst I don't know exactly what you had, in your old system, unless it was total rubbish, I suspect it was bottlenecked, gaming wise, by that HD46xx. Your new system certainly would be. I know, when you have a Sandybridge processor, that overclocks well, you want to be able to overclock it, but all the overclocking, in the world, if it's throttled by a graphics card, will actual gain you next to nothing, in gaming.
Unless you can build a system for overclocking AND get at least a reasonable GPU, to go with it, forget overclocking. A CPU, at stock, with a 100 Euro modern GPU, will give several times the real performance of a processor, running at 5 GHz, with a HD46xx.
Get a H61 motherboard, 8GB of 1333MHz RAM, a decent basic case, like Antec One (even one of the Coolermaster Elite's), no additional vent (unless PC is going to be in hot environment), 500/550w PSU (whichever decent one is cheapest), and something like HD7770 for around 110Euros, and you'll have something that WILL play the likes of BF3, reasonably. How reasonably, depends on your monitor resolution, but whatever, hugely better than other option. I know it would need a change of mobo, but there's nothing to stop you adding overclocking, in the future, when funds are available. It's not as if a H61 mobo is much too expensive to change after, say, a year.

Jack Blqck

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
Well i went and ordered :

Msi - Z77A-GD55, LGA 1155, Intel Z77, 4 x DDR3 2667+MHz, Intel HD Graphics, 3 x PCI Express

Corsair zasilacz CX Series 600W ATX, 80 Plus Bronze Certified, EU Version (CP-9020048-EU

Corsair Vengeance - Memory - 8GB : 2 x 4GB - DIMM 240-pin - DDR3 - 2133 MHz / PC3-17066 - CL11 - 1.5 V - non-ECC

SF-1000 Computer Case Super Flower Computer Inc (5 Fans)

-----

In the next 1-2 months once christmas comes and there will be plenty of offers on computer hardware , i am thinking of going for an ssd hard drive and a proper graphics card .

As for air control i think i will do fine with the case i chose (different one now SF1000 looks really good with 5 fans and good Cooler Master Hyper TX3 for my cpu) i am not thinking of overclocking it from 3.40 ghz that it is now , since i don't think there will be any big worth it difference without a good graphics card as you guys said.

But never the less , thanks for your time and helping out :)

TRENDING THREADS