Sign in with
Your question

Surely i should be able to play wow on ultra at 60+ fps?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 6, 2012 7:23:53 PM

I just bought this graphics card.. it's a 7850 power edition.. i overclocked it and even overclocked in stormwind when flying and outside stormwind and in raids my fps goes down to like 16-30 fps which feels really unsmooth.. I have a good CPU (i5-650) and 4gb ram. What could be stopping the fps?
a c 80 U Graphics card
September 6, 2012 7:28:08 PM

It's probably the CPU. Multiplayer with lots going on can be pretty tough on a CPU. That's why the problem appears in raids and capital cities.
September 6, 2012 7:30:09 PM

Ah okay, i have a lga1156 mobo i think does that mean i cant get a good cpu?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2012 7:32:05 PM

LGA 1156 is still good. Just make sure you have the latest:

1. GPU drivers
2. Mobo drivers
3. WoW version
4. BIOS
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2012 7:43:27 PM

bradderzd1994 said:
I have a good CPU (i5-650)

The i5-650 was pretty decent 3 years ago, but not so much anymore. Dual core is going to be the limiting factor, I think.

There are a number of LGA-1156 quad core chips to choose from if you'd like to upgrade, but they're not going to be cheap. You can probably move to a LGA-1155 based system for about the same cost.
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2012 7:59:09 PM

Willard is right, MMOs are really heavy CPU dependent games, they uses more core to render, create, and organize other characters, random world circustances such as rain, moobs fighitng and all that kind of stuff.

When you are in a very populated zone, where tons of characters are stacked, your CPU has more work to do and then FPS drops. So a Quad core will help a bunch.

Also i you should WOW has that problem, its kinda annoying.

A high speed/low latency internet also helps. Overlocking helps too.

As my personal experience, I play with a 20" 1600x900 resolution monitor, my GPU is WAAAAAY less powerfull than yours and I get little over 30 FPS in Ogrimmar (very populated server) and in a battleground, random dungeon and flying around the map I get 60 fps or more at everything set ultra DX11...

You will note that in a populated place as a 25 man raid, your CPU usage will go to 30ish to 50ish... and the GPU usage will be at 30% or 50% at max. And in another placer of the map where there are not many characters, you will have 60%-70% CPU Usage and even 100% GPU usage.

Hope it helps! consider an upgrade, a cheap H61 mobo with an I5 2400(quad core) will make you play that game over 100 fps 1080p with everything set ultra :D 
September 6, 2012 8:51:13 PM

Have you switched Vsync off? I had a similar problem when I first installed my 6850 and switching vsync off shot my fps from about 30 to 160.
September 7, 2012 3:42:06 AM

horaciopz said:
Willard is right, MMOs are really heavy CPU dependent games, they uses more core to render, create, and organize other characters, random world circustances such as rain, moobs fighitng and all that kind of stuff.

When you are in a very populated zone, where tons of characters are stacked, your CPU has more work to do and then FPS drops. So a Quad core will help a bunch.

Also i you should WOW has that problem, its kinda annoying.

A high speed/low latency internet also helps. Overlocking helps too.

As my personal experience, I play with a 20" 1600x900 resolution monitor, my GPU is WAAAAAY less powerfull than yours and I get little over 30 FPS in Ogrimmar (very populated server) and in a battleground, random dungeon and flying around the map I get 60 fps or more at everything set ultra DX11...

You will note that in a populated place as a 25 man raid, your CPU usage will go to 30ish to 50ish... and the GPU usage will be at 30% or 50% at max. And in another placer of the map where there are not many characters, you will have 60%-70% CPU Usage and even 100% GPU usage.

Hope it helps! consider an upgrade, a cheap H61 mobo with an I5 2400(quad core) will make you play that game over 100 fps 1080p with everything set ultra :D 

thanks a lot bud very nice reply i may consider getting one. Or i was going to try and sell my i5-650, and my mobo (i dont even know what is i, came with the pc) and buy a new i5-3570k with a z77 or something
a c 217 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 7, 2012 4:55:38 AM

I haven't played since WotLK, but back then and prior, it was important to know you could not run with max shadows on any system and get good FPS. It was important to turn Shadows down a notch or 2 at the very least. This was mostly because the shadows were handled by the CPU and not the GPU.
a c 291 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 7, 2012 8:09:03 AM

Overclock your CPU. With my i5-2500k at stock settings I couldn't get higher than 35 fps in Orgrimmar, but once I overclocked to 4.3 GHz, FPS went up to 45.
!