Tags:
  • Radeon
  • DVI
  • VGA
  • Monitors
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 6, 2012 9:04:10 PM

I recently bought a his displayport to dvi female active adapter for eyefinity. I plugged the adapter to my 5770 and i plugged the female dvi end to a male dvi to female vga adapter. Then i plugged in a vga cable to that adapter.That cable goes into the monitor. Now my computer detects the display port screen and it sets eyefinity and everything but the monitor says no connection. I have tried it with 2 monitors. Can somebody tell me if the problem lies in the vga adapter?

More about : displayport dvi vga work

September 6, 2012 9:28:29 PM

str8todamoney said:
I recently bought a his displayport to dvi female active adapter for eyefinity. I plugged the adapter to my 5770 and i plugged the female dvi end to a male dvi to female vga adapter. Then i plugged in a vga cable to that adapter.That cable goes into the monitor. Now my computer detects the display port screen and it sets eyefinity and everything but the monitor says no connection. I have tried it with 2 monitors. Can somebody tell me if the problem lies in the vga adapter?

It's most likely the adapter. You can plug a VGA adapter into a DVI port only if it is Dual-Link capable (meaning it can accept either a digital or analog connection). Since you're going from Displayport to DVI to VGA the Displayport does not have Dual-Link capability and therefore will not convert the video signal from digital into analog for you. I know I've seen a Displayport to VGA adapter, and that should do the trick for you. You should be able to find one for under $20.
m
l
a b C Monitor
September 6, 2012 11:52:37 PM

thats not what dual link is, but you're right about it being a digital analog issue.

Dual link means it can run higher resolution monitors from the same dvi port than a single link can . Much more data can pass due to the extra link.

Dvi ports can be be dvi-d (digital) or dvi-a (analog) or dvi-i (both analog and digital) and both the source and the display must support the same format (digital or analog)
vga is analog only
display port is digital only

m
l
!