Sign in with
Your question

Difference in temperatures of cores in 4870x2

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
September 6, 2012 9:46:16 PM

Hello,
I have a 5 year old 4870x2 Radeon. Up till now I was monitoring its temperature through some program, name I can't recall, that showed me only the temperature of one core. Now I use MSI Afterburner and I noticed that there is a significant difference between the temperatures of the cores.

First one is 45 degrees, 65max in stress
Second one is 69 degrees, 85 in stress.

I figured out that it is because the card has only one fan that cools both cores, and the second core receives the heated air from the first one.
Is there any way to reduce this difference? I tried to increase the core clock in the first and decrease the core clock in second but it didn't do any good.
What also bothers me is that most of my games and programs that cannot utilise crossfire or generally double core cards tend to occupy the more vulnerable second gpu instead of the first one. Can I change that, can I switch them, make the first one the prime GPU?

I will be grateful for help
September 6, 2012 9:51:50 PM

85 stress isnt too bad for that GPU. As long as you don't stress it all the time, that should be ok. As long as it doesn't reach over 80C in long gaming periods. Also, you can use MSI Afterburner to create a custom fan profile to spin the fan when it gets hot.
September 7, 2012 1:36:32 AM

being a dual chip card things are bound to get hot and noisy.....you can try taking off the cooler assembly and re-doing the thermal paste...or as deemo said change the fan profile to drop the temps... unfortunately there is not much you can do to reduce the difference between the two chips its just a bad design by amd
!