meat_loaf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
HD 6870, the DVI doesn't want to communicate with my single monitor. I was using 12.4 catalyst version before and upgraded to 12.8 but encountered display problem and reverted back to 12.4 (thought 12.8 was causing the issue).

However (using driver fusion) to remove all drivers and registry related to the display, 12.4 worked like a charm most of the time. I decided to upgrade to 12.7 beta version (since I haven't heard anything about it causing issues) to get more performance out of Skyrim and BF3.

But the communication problem comes back again :fou:

Does anyone have this issue with DVI on AMD cards or is it just me?? I haven't heard anyone having trouble with 12.8 using a single monitor.

Also both of my DVI ports is in working condition. I even did reset by removing card and inserting it back into PCI slot.

Anyway to solve this? Its frustrating to switch back to HDMI since it limits options in Catalyst and HDMI is reserved for my PS3 use.

meat_loaf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
Forgot to mention back in 12.4 a little test i've done myself was connecting HDMI and DVI to the same monitor to see if Eyefinity actually detects anything. It did recognize multiple connections and was able to switch between DVI and HDMI.

The HDMI seems to be working in perfect condition since every time the DVI fails the card is able to output through HDMI.

Badly coded AMD drivers??

Even if you disconnect and recommend the DVI cable this happens?

Do you have another cable to test.

I have all my screens on DVI(The HDMI screen has a DVI->HDMI cable).

I have never had this. I do notice that I can move screens from DVI to HDMI(even from onboard to dedicated) while the system is running and it just follows the screen. This is all with one plugged in.

meat_loaf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011

I don't have another cable to test. But this cable is new though since it came with my monitor and have been using it for year without any problems.

The only thing I can add is the fact these problems occurred after updating Catalyst drivers from 12.4 because I had to do a hard reset on my computer since Windows 7 somehow manage to make the boot mgr disappear.

meat_loaf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011

Currently I am trying to get some answers from XFX, even the technicians there doesn't understand why the card is doing that. Never had any problems before and been using it since I bought the new comp a year ago.

The only issue with 12.4 is hibernation. The display won't come back when I hibernate. Otherwise it works fine most of the time.

Also 12.6 beta never gave me problems as well.

meat_loaf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2011
Your lucky then, majority of the reports and issue that AMD reports or from the users are usually using HD 6000 and 7000 series. I know for a fact many complained about 12.8 having multiple display not functioning properly or detecting it especially for 7900 models.

The only other suggestion I would have is to report the issue to AMD and they "should" fix it.

http://support.amd.com/de/kbarticles/Pages/CatalystCrewFeedback.aspx

Other then that, the only temporary(more permanent) workaround I can think of is a HDMI -> DVI cable. This would allow you to go from the video cards HDMI to the monitors DVI port. I use one for my Intel HD 3000(my board has no DVI) when playing with Virtu. To add to that it makes for a quick swap to the dedicated card if I need to.

TRENDING THREADS