Sign in with
Your question

Possible dead mobo?

Last response: in Systems
November 3, 2012 3:32:03 PM

Hey guys,
This is my second build, and I've run into a problem.
Last night I had everything set up started the system installed win7, and I was installing all my other drivers. Then I wanted to see if I had any audio, I didn't, so I thought I had just plugged the cable into the wrong slot. So I unplug it and then my video cuts off. So I check the video cable to see if it was still in, it was, I check the monitor and it's fine. So I end up touching the power switch and nothing, I hold the power switch for 5 sec, and nothing. Then I end up hold it for other 30 sec nothing, hit the reset button nothing. So my system is still running with no video, and I decide to cut it off and hit the psu switch.

I've been testing the ram(1 stick and no sticks at all) and my mobo isn't beeping anymore with start up.

I don't get any beeps or video with startup, but fans are on. Did I short the system? Please help.

Asrock 970 pro 3 mobo
Amd fx 4170 am3+
16gb of Ddr 3 1600
120gb ssd
500 gb hdd
2x nvidia 550ti
Psu 500w

More about : dead mobo

November 3, 2012 4:15:31 PM

The speakers are new or you've used them before? It looks like they fried the board.
Try disconnecting the power cord, hold the power button for a minute or so then restart.
m
l
November 3, 2012 4:57:27 PM

Had the speakers for a year or so.

Tried that the fans power up with the lights, but still no beeps or video.
I've been switching two cards in and out(and yes they do work).
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 3, 2012 5:03:06 PM

What happens if you start the board with only CPU and CPU fan installed? I guess there is a case speaker connected to the motherboard.
m
l
November 3, 2012 5:10:51 PM

I stripped it and the fans spin(can't tell if there is a cpu light). Yes there is a case speaker.
m
l
November 3, 2012 5:21:06 PM

If no beeps with only CPU and CPU fan installed, then it might be a motherboard issue. I would test again with the board outside of the case. If still the same, I would RMA both the board and CPU, or have them tested at a local shop.
m
l
!