Your question

Integrated graphics

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Laptops
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 7, 2012 1:45:13 AM

I'm looking for a new laptop and because I'm about to buy parts for a new gaming pc I only have about $550 to work with. I'm probably going to have to use integrated graphics and I have just about narrowed it down. I was wondering which processor/integrated graphics I will be able to get the best performance from, the Intel 3210m with Intel hd graphics 4000 or the AMD A8-4500 with Radeon hd 7640g graphics. The only games I really play on my laptop are Team fortress 2, World of Warcraft, Starcraft, etc.

More about : integrated graphics

September 7, 2012 2:00:57 AM

If you must go integrated, the AMD A8-4500 with Radeon hd 7640g will be better in graphical power than Intel HD4000. http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-7640G.69836....

However, I don't know how it translates to games, as the Intel will be a faster processor, while the AMD will be a slower processor but better graphics capabilities. Either option is really okay, and since I'm bias I would choose Intel. But that's up to you.
m
l
a c 365 U Graphics card
a c 467 D Laptop
September 7, 2012 7:09:15 AM

Generally speaking, you want to choose the laptop with the faster GPU over a faster CPU for games. Intel's Ivy Bridge CPU definitely definitely has more processing power than a Trinity A8-4500. Assuming the same clockspeed, you are talking about a 30% difference in processing power so an Ivy Bridge CPU clocked at 2.0GHz would be about equal to an A8 APU running at 2.6GHz.

On the other hand the A8 APU has a faster integrated graphic core... or at least that's what I would have thought about the Radeon HD 7640G in the A8 4500 APU. If you click the link provided by nsouter853 and you scroll down to where the game benchmarks are (only 9 of 'em) and expand the "low" settings comparison. Quickly looking through them the Intel HD 4000 beats the Radeon HD 7640G in 6 games; a few of them are by a pretty large margin.

For me, the choice is pretty obvious, go with Intel.
m
l
!