HA HA! I have found a couple of Windows XP bugs!

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
First of all, this is the more annoying and possibly dangerous bug. Apparently CHKDSK doesn't seem to always work on all PCs. In the command prompt, it finds errors, but upon restart with the chkdsk /f parameter, it MAY NOT correct them. At first, I suspected it was another VIA bug, but I installed the latest 4-in-1s and still no go. So I went on the web and research the problem. Apparently, as far as anybody knows, this is a seemingly random bug. Some people experience it, some don't. Non-VIA owners seem to experience the same problem in some cases. What is the problem exactly? I DO NOT KNOW! It hasn't been officially confirmed by Microsoft. I'm going to try e-mailing them.

The second bug I noticed is purely cosmetic but a bit laughable. Apparently, Whistler hasn't been replaced by Windows XP in all instances which it occurred. If you run the System File Checker from the command prompt, and SFC finds a file to be fixed, you'll get a message with "Windows Whistler Professional" in it in all versions of the final retail WinXP OS?

Interesting? I'll be back with more info ASAP!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
First of all, this is the more annoying and possibly dangerous bug. Apparently CHKDSK doesn't seem to always work on all PCs. In the command prompt, it finds errors, but upon restart with the chkdsk /f parameter, it MAY NOT correct them. At first, I suspected it was another VIA bug, but I installed the latest 4-in-1s and still no go. So I went on the web and research the problem. Apparently, as far as anybody knows, this is a seemingly random bug. Some people experience it, some don't. Non-VIA owners seem to experience the same problem in some cases. What is the problem exactly? I DO NOT KNOW! It hasn't been officially confirmed by Microsoft. I'm going to try e-mailing them.
BTW, this bug apparently only happens with NTFS. On a FAT32 partition, this isn't a problem.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
*BUMP *

Anyone else here experiencing this? This problem is somewhat common so I'd like to know.

G

i thought that error (insert whistler cd) was only in the Build 2600 versions! well i get that error too...

Retruglot

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2001
Why are you running chkdsk in the first place? I ran it and it said it found problems with the file system... I didn't do the fix tho... I, for some reason, didn't think chkdsk worked with NTFS?

As for the Whistler thing, I haven't seen that one at all.

Ret

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Why are you running chkdsk in the first place? I ran it and it said it found problems with the file system... I didn't do the fix tho... I, for some reason, didn't think chkdsk worked with NTFS?
It's supposed to work with NTFS, but it doesn't seem to always work. CHKDSK is the only disk-checking utility avaiable to WinXP. WinXP doesn't have ScanDisk.

One quick stupid question. Are you running CHDSK from command prompt or by using the error checking available in WinXP? I'm sure it's probably the same thing, but I was just curious to know if it would make any difference.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
One quick stupid question. Are you running CHDSK from command prompt or by using the error checking available in WinXP? I'm sure it's probably the same thing, but I was just curious to know if it would make any difference.
No, it wouldn't make a difference.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Yeah, I've gotten one really big error with chkdsk one time. Even loaded up a 'file.0000' folder in the root. But other than that, I've never had a problem with it. Win2k or xp. I get errors every now and again (not like the fat32 partitions), but it just rolls them back and recovers.

That's really screwy...