USB2 DRIVER PROBLEM CONNECTING MASS STORAGE

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Operating XP home with all service packs installed.
Trying to connect a new external hard drive. The device
mgr recognizes the unit but will not install the driver,
Msg comes up "the service database is locked" when trying
to install driver automatically. (A driver did not come
with the external unit). Not brand name -- generic
external case - I put my own Hard drive in. Will the
slave/master pin setting make a dif in driver
installation?
Ideas??

Bob

Which kind of external driver it is?
If it is USB or firewire, the drive should have no M/S jumper, or, if this does not work, jumpered as master.

"Bob" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:10aa501c44041$7d437000$a101280a@phx.gbl...
> Operating XP home with all service packs installed.
> Trying to connect a new external hard drive. The device
> mgr recognizes the unit but will not install the driver,
> Msg comes up "the service database is locked" when trying
> to install driver automatically. (A driver did not come
> with the external unit). Not brand name -- generic
> external case - I put my own Hard drive in. Will the
> slave/master pin setting make a dif in driver
> installation?
> Ideas??
>
> Bob

Hi
I have a similiar problem except that I keep getting buffer overload the
second I plug the drive in. It works fine on my Advent USB 1.1 but not on
Inspiron 8600 USB 2.0