Your question

First build attempt

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
November 3, 2012 4:56:50 PM

Hi all, so I'm starting out on my first build from scratch (having mostly just done a bit of tinkering and part-by-part upgrading of my seven-year-old Dell in the past to keep it going) and was hoping to get you guys' opinions on components and whether I'm making any horrendously stupid mistakes or oversights?

I'm looking for something which'll last a while handling a decent all-round load of both games and Creative Suite (though probably not often on the really intensive stuff like rendering in Premier Pro). I've split it into now and later as I'm mostly looking to put the core system in place atm and will pick up other bits as I save more.

Tentatively I was looking at:

Upgrading now
CPU: Intel Core i7 3820 Quad Core... £224.20
Motherboard: Gigabyte SKT-2011 X79-UD3 (Rev 1.0)... £160.52
RAM: Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B 8GB 1600Mhz CL9 DDR3... £30.90
PSU: Corsair TX750V2 Enthusiast Series 750W ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze... £79.99
Tower: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Mid Tower ATX Case... £68.32
DVD drive: LiteOn IHAS124-19C 24x Internal DVDRW Black Bulk SATA?... £15.95

Total: £583.88

Taken from old system/upgrading later
Hard Drive: [currently a combination of Samsung SSD 830 2.5inch SATA III 6GBps 128GB and external USB drive, but will be looking to pick up a supplementary 1TB internal disk later]
GPU: Asus HD 5570 1GB GDDR3 DVI VGA HDMI Out Low Profile PCI-E Graphics Card
Peripherals: All standard fare lifted from the old system.

Does that all sound like it'll work? Any biggies I've missed there?

More about : build attempt

November 3, 2012 5:02:04 PM

(edit - apart from initially having the headers for CPU and Motherboard the wrong way round!)
a b B Homebuilt system
November 3, 2012 5:16:18 PM

If you want to play current games on high or better settings, you will need to upgrade your GPU sooner rather than later. The HD5570 is pretty weak by today's standards.
A good midrange card that won't bust your budget but can play on "good" settings (a mix of mostly high with some medium, or with AA turned down or off) is a HD7770. Something more in line with the rest of your system would probably be a HD7950 or HD7970. If your Creative Suite can take advantage of GPGPU processing, consider that when you choose a graphics card. Note that nVidia's Kepler cards are typically crippled for compute tasks. If a nVidia card is supported, look into a GTX560, GTX560Ti, or GTX570 (in ascending order of power and price).
Related resources
November 3, 2012 5:18:43 PM

You could get a lower-wattage PSU and save some money. Otherwise it looks pretty good - though a Cooler Master Storm Enforcer seems a bit out of sync with your non-gaming system (it's one of their gaming-oriented cases with LED fan, window etc.).
November 4, 2012 11:23:25 PM

Thanks both! The GPU might have to wait a wee while as this is wiping out my budget for the moment but they sound like pretty sensible suggestions.
November 4, 2012 11:31:38 PM

Well, you could downgrade to a Core i7-3770 (or 3770k if overclocking) and free up some cash for the GPU. It's still a pretty capable CPU.

Edit: Derp, costs almost the same. =/
!