Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Building a computer

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Computer
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
November 2, 2012 10:22:06 AM

hey I'm looking to build a new computer and have been looking a different components and would like to know if the ones I've chosen are good and will work together. Also if I can get better parts for the same price or cheaper. I have a budget of £500. And do motherboards have a maximum amount of ram the can hold?

HDD- 1TB Western Digital AV-GP 24x7 Enterprise Hard Drive - £65

Processor- Intel quad core i5-3570K - £160

PSU - 650w CiT Black edition - £26

Sound card- Asus Xonar DG5.1 - £23

Ram- 8GB Mushkin Enhanced blackline frostbite- £33

Mobo- Gigabyte SKT-1155 Z77-D3H - £76

Case - CiT Vantage Midi Mesh Gaming Case with HD Audio, 4 Fans, Card Reader and No PSU - Black

GPU - Nvidia geforce GTX650 1GB- £100

More about : building computer

November 2, 2012 12:25:13 PM

If you're going to be using it for gaming then here is my suggestion:
( I'm going to use $ for pounds since I don't have that symbol on my keyboard)
Motherboard: Asrock 970 PRO3 (AM3+): 57.56 $ http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASRock-970-Pro3-AM3-ATX/dp/B008...
CPU: AMD Phenom II 965 BE: 73.99$ http://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-HDZ965FBGMBOX-Phenom-II-965...
RAM: Either get that Mushkin you stated, or these Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz: 31.99$ http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9-1600MH...
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green SATA III: 62.11$ http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Caviar-Green-In...
PSU, I chose the same as you. It seems good enough. :20.50$ http://www.amazon.co.uk/CiT-650W-Power-Supply-Rails/dp/...
Sound Card: Asus Xonar: 26.90$ http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-Express-Normalizer-Virtual...
Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 660TI 2GB GDDR5: 224.98$ http://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-660Ti-GDDR5-Graphics-Card/...
Total price: 498.03 pounds.

I chose to downgrade your choice of CPU because the GTX650 is just not enough for games (if you want to game). The Phenom II 965 is good enough for gaming and that 660TI will make all the difference when playing the newest games. ;) 
~UnlimitedBanana
November 2, 2012 12:41:32 PM

UnlimitedBanana said:
If you're going to be using it for gaming then here is my suggestion:
( I'm going to use $ for pounds since I don't have that symbol on my keyboard)
Motherboard: Asrock 970 PRO3 (AM3+): 57.56 $ http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASRock-970-Pro3-AM3-ATX/dp/B008...
CPU: AMD Phenom II 965 BE: 73.99$ http://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-HDZ965FBGMBOX-Phenom-II-965...
RAM: Either get that Mushkin you stated, or these Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz: 31.99$ http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9-1600MH...
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Green SATA III: 62.11$ http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Caviar-Green-In...
PSU, I chose the same as you. It seems good enough. :20.50$ http://www.amazon.co.uk/CiT-650W-Power-Supply-Rails/dp/...
Sound Card: Asus Xonar: 26.90$ http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-Express-Normalizer-Virtual...
Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 660TI 2GB GDDR5: 224.98$ http://www.amazon.co.uk/EVGA-660Ti-GDDR5-Graphics-Card/...
Total price: 498.03 pounds.

I chose to downgrade your choice of CPU because the GTX650 is just not enough for games (if you want to game). The Phenom II 965 is good enough for gaming and that 660TI will make all the difference when playing the newest games. ;) 
~UnlimitedBanana



Could i change the GPU to a Radon- http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2gb-gigabyte-radeon-hd-7...

And the CPU to a i5- 3450- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-FC-LGA12C-i5-3450-Process...

And change the case to a antec http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA...
November 2, 2012 12:48:37 PM

I'd spend another 50 or so and get an SSD for the system drive. You'd be amazed at the difference it will make. I'd even downgrade the cpu to make it fit in budget if possible, since the SSD will speed up the system significantly. The rest looks good.
November 2, 2012 1:25:29 PM



Why would you change the CPU and GPU? the I5 3450 is almost 2X the price of the 965, and yet both are enough for gaming. And the Graphics Card is MUCH better than a 7850. Trust me mate, I've done a few builds and in most cases even a triple core AMD is enough for gaming. The case, you can change to whatever you like :) 
November 2, 2012 4:06:45 PM

UnlimitedBanana said:
Why would you change the CPU and GPU? the I5 3450 is almost 2X the price of the 965, and yet both are enough for gaming. And the Graphics Card is MUCH better than a 7850. Trust me mate, I've done a few builds and in most cases even a triple core AMD is enough for gaming. The case, you can change to whatever you like :) 


I would like an intel core though
November 2, 2012 4:09:31 PM

If you can stretch your budget a little bit, get the 7850 or 7870. Those are two capable cards. Also, if you are going to be over clocking, get the i5-3570k. If not , don't get the k version.
November 2, 2012 4:12:57 PM

Refering to your original build.

The CiT PSU is a hunk of junk, literally it is a doorstop with wires buying one of them is akin to deserving your PSU to explode and fry stuff.

CiT cases are also pretty cr@p they look pretty on the outside (debatable) but they are really a bunch of razor sharp edges on cheap metal held together with some shoddy rivets.

In short avoid ANYTHING made by CiT and buy a PSU from a proper brand like Antec, XFX, Corsair, OCZ, Seasonic.
November 2, 2012 9:24:08 PM

Never ever buy a cheap power supply it is the heart of the system if it goes it can damage your system. Always go with a quality brand.
You would see more benefit in spending more on the GPU than the CPU. However If you went with getting a good CPU/MOBO you could always buy a better GPU later on when you get more cash or when a GPU is on a good sale. It is alot easier to swap out a GPU than to replace your mobo and cpu. Plus you can always add a second GPU in the future.
November 3, 2012 6:22:35 AM

amegaw10 said:
I would like an intel core though


Hmm, well I understand that and you can get an I5, but at the cost of dumping that wonderful Graphics Card I personally wouldn't do it. Dropping from a 660TI to a 7850 is losing about 35% of performance and FPS while upping from a Phenom II 965 to a 3450 would only gain you 5-10% better performance in gaming, maybe even 15% but that's pretty unlikely and you wouldn't notice it because that 7850 might be a slight bottleneck. In the end, it's your choice.
P.S. LGA1155 Motherboards are usually more expensive than AM3+ ones, take that into consideration as well :) 
~UnlimitedBanana
November 3, 2012 8:54:26 AM

UnlimitedBanana said:
Hmm, well I understand that and you can get an I5, but at the cost of dumping that wonderful Graphics Card I personally wouldn't do it. Dropping from a 660TI to a 7850 is losing about 35% of performance and FPS while upping from a Phenom II 965 to a 3450 would only gain you 5-10% better performance in gaming, maybe even 15% but that's pretty unlikely and you wouldn't notice it because that 7850 might be a slight bottleneck. In the end, it's your choice.
P.S. LGA1155 Motherboards are usually more expensive than AM3+ ones, take that into consideration as well :) 
~UnlimitedBanana


I found a processor and a GPU

GPU- http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Graphics+Card...

CPU- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-I5-3570-Processor-3-40GHZ...
November 3, 2012 9:17:45 AM

wow, If those fit your budget and a 1155 motherboard as well, go for it! That's a pretty good combo and it should even surpass the PII 965/660TI combo in more CPU heavy apps and games. :) 
~UnlimitedBanana
November 3, 2012 10:04:56 AM

Thanks for your help
November 3, 2012 5:36:26 PM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
!