Just built my first custom, was working now it's shutting off randomly

Shadeslayer

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
Hello all, as the title says I just built my first custom and it was running just fine for a few hours, playing games (Running sleeping dogs at about 50-90 FPS on high) but then when I tried playing the Planetside 2 beta it shut down right when I tried joining a server.

Now it's shutting down randomly! I just tried to use the flash card I have my Windows 7 install on but before it could it just shut off! It runs the BIOs just fine (loaded them and let it sit for 30 minutes, didn't shut down) but when I even try to reformat the hard drive it shuts off!
Do you guys have any ideas? I feel as though it's not the PSU not working because it can run the BIOs without shutting off.

Here's my specs by the way:
Corsair Carbide Series 400R
Seagate Barracuda 1TB
SAPPHIRE 100352-2L Radeon HD 7950 3GB
Antec HCG M Series HCG-620M
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
MSI Z77A-GD65
Intel Core i5-2500K

Augray37

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
Nice build, good choice going with HD 7950. Anyway...

Check all the easy things...CPU temps, GPU temps, take out the RAM sticks individually, etc. Check for bad sectors on the hard drive. Also, if none of this solves the problem, try using a bootable CD with Linux on it (like knoppix or Ubuntu or something) and boot from that. See if you can browse the web and do normal tasks without it shutting off. This will give you an idea of whether or not it's the HDD/OS.

Lemme know what happens, I'm not an expert, but I'll try to help if no one else does.

satyamdubey

Distinguished
30 mins on BIOS only means there is probably no issue of overheating (do monitor temps through BIOS, considering you've not overclocked, you should see temps in the range of upper to mid 60C). Only seems like shutdowns are happening either on high load (power consumption) or due to some hard drive issue. recheck hard drive cables, try swapping the psu if possible.
also try booting up with minimal hard ware, try one ram stick at a time and no graphic card and then slowly add hardware to see where the problem is.
use catalyst 12.8 and avoid 12.6

Shadeslayer

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012

I'm trying to install linux as I type this so I'll report back if it works.

Then I'll try slowly removing the hardware, I just feel as though it's something wrong with my HDD/Windows install

Shadeslayer

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
Ok, I just checked my CPU temp. It's running at 97C!

I'm not over clocking it, but I did forget the thermal paste, is there anyway to get the heat down?
I remember last night when I checked it was running at 50-60C, but now it's just staying at 97C!
Mainboard is running at 26C by the way.

Augray37

Distinguished
May 4, 2011

There's yer problem! lol. it happens. just slap on some AS5 and bam, good to go.

Shadeslayer

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
I found out what was making my CPU run so hot, the wire for the heatsink was in the way of the fan blade restricting it from spinning.

I slapped some thermal and fixed the wire and now it's running at 27-35C, running Planetside 2 on high at 40-45C, also I'm just running the stock intel heatsink.

Thanks for the help!