GTX 560 fan not spinning.

albertsw

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
Hi.
So my computer was not booting for some reason so I decided to go take a look inside the case. After i reset the motherboard with the jumper it still would not boot so i decided to take the tiny battery on the motherboard out. I got a flat head scredriver and was getting the battery out when I dropped the screwdriver and it touched two pins right opposite the fan connector on the back of my EVGA GTX 560. I forgot to turn the computer power off. :fou: I saw a spark of electricity. I didn't think anything had happened because the card was still displaying video. Once i finally fixed the boot problem and my computer booted and I decided to check the temp of my GPU. Within 5 minutes of web browsing it got to 180 Fahrenheit. way to hot. so I checked the card and the fan was not spinning. I tried unplugging it and pluging it in again but I'm out of ideas. Im pretty sure I won't be able to get it to spin again and ill have to get a replacement.
Do any of you have any ideas on what to try?
Thank you so much.

Solution
try to replace the fan. If that doesn't work, you would need to remove the plastic enclosure, stick a 90mm or 80mm fan to it (with cable ties perhaps or even super glue as long as you stick it in the heatsink only). Plug the fan to one of your motherboard's pwm fan sockets. You're still lucky that the card is still working, you could have fried the entire thing you know...

drums101

Distinguished
if nothing else is damaged on the card besides the fan header you could just try ghetto rigging up a case fan to the heatsink...rip out the fan on the card now and maybe zip tie a case fan onto the heatsink or something.

najirion

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2012
try to replace the fan. If that doesn't work, you would need to remove the plastic enclosure, stick a 90mm or 80mm fan to it (with cable ties perhaps or even super glue as long as you stick it in the heatsink only). Plug the fan to one of your motherboard's pwm fan sockets. You're still lucky that the card is still working, you could have fried the entire thing you know...

Solution

auntarie

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012
And when you're following the advice given above, turn your machine off. I don't know why you thought it was a good idea to do remove the battery while it was on but it's not. You could fry the machine and maybe even yourself.

albertsw

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
Thanks for the help. Do you think that it's the motor in the fan that's broken or or something on the PCB?
Should I try connecting the fan connector to one on the motherboard and see of it spins?
Yeah I know it pretty stupid to leave it on but it just slipped my mind.
Thanks!

auntarie

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012

Usually no. They clean it out really well, reset the clocks to what they originally were and then sell it. It's basically the same card it was on release, but it's been used.

albertsw

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012

Oh really? I thought it would just be an old GPU chip but inside new casing.

auntarie

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2012

Nah, that's why they call it "refurbished". You know, renovated. I'd imagine that if they changed the casing, cooler etc. that would just increase the price.

albertsw

Honorable
Apr 1, 2012
I just got my replacement card and before even putting it in my computer I'm already disappointed. The Screws on the back of the card are striped and also the sticker that says "void if removed" is removed and its sticky where the sticker should be. The card also has a bunch of scuffs and scratches on it.