Sign in with
Your question

Cpu fan not spinning, system won't post

Last response: in Systems
November 3, 2012 6:24:18 PM

My PC that I built in February was running hot (shutting off, but I didn't write down exact temps) when I played La Noire. I live in a pretty dusty area, so today, I opened up the case, took the heatsink and fan off, reapplied thermal paste and cleaned everything out. After that, and after reconnecting everything, I started the machine back up,smelled a slight burning odor, noticed that all fans (including gpu) were spinning except the CPU fan and the computer wouldn't POST. I had a spare power supply, and that didn't make a difference. I've pulled everything out, etc., but nothing seems to work. I suspect that either my motherboard or CPU has burnt out. The motherboard light comes on, and fans come on, but no post or beeps from speakers. I will likely be ordering either a new mobo or cpu, but before I do that, I wanted to see what others thought. I don't overclock.

I have a 600 watt diablotek psu, ASUS M5A97 board, AMD FX-4100 quad core, and 8 gb ram. What else could this be?
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
November 3, 2012 8:20:48 PM

Eww, I dont like that diablotek PSU, thats probably what caused the problem.

But, as ar as whats broken, I think that burning smell came from the CPU.

Then again, no fan spining, or post beeps would tell you somethings wrong with the motherboard.
November 4, 2012 1:03:01 AM

austing said:
Eww, I dont like that diablotek PSU, thats probably what caused the problem.

But, as ar as whats broken, I think that burning smell came from the CPU.

Then again, no fan spining, or post beeps would tell you somethings wrong with the motherboard.

Yeah...I realize that the PSU was not a good one too late. What troubles me is that it was running fine (except a little hot on LA Noire) until I cleaned it out. I'm fairly certain it's the CPU burnt out--probably caused by the PSU--but I just don't know if the mobo goes to post or whatever after or before CPU is recognized. (I'm sorry if I'm not being overly descriptive or using proper lingo; I'm a self-taught hillbilly on this stuff.)
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
November 4, 2012 3:51:34 PM

One of the only ways to know for sure is another processor, but if you get another one, that only tells you if the processor was bad, you may have to take it to a store and have them test it.
November 5, 2012 12:17:15 PM

austing said:
One of the only ways to know for sure is another processor, but if you get another one, that only tells you if the processor was bad, you may have to take it to a store and have them test it.

I actually found a blown capacitor and scorched line on the mobo last night. We've ordered a new board, hope that's the end of it. I'm curious if that would cause the smell that I got--which is completely gone. I suspect--I don't know--that somehow a line from the power supply made direct contact, as it is in a very odd spot. The main reason I found it was because the sticker with the serial number on it was slightly melted. If I can get a picture and post, I will. I still think it may be both the board and processor, but I won't know for a couple days.

Thanks for your help!
November 5, 2012 12:25:28 PM

austing said:

I actually found
a blown capacitor and scorched line on the mobo last night. We've ordered a new board, hope that's the end of it. I'm curious if that would cause the smell that I got--which is completely gone. I suspect--I don't know--that somehow a line from the power supply made direct contact, as it is in a very odd spot. The main reason I found it was because the sticker with the serial number on it was slightly melted. If I can get a picture and post, I will. I still think it may be both the board and processor, but I won't know for a couple days.

The other odd thing that I didn't mention is that the system will not power down with the power button. I have to shut off the power supply. There are no post beeps (and I did follow the procedure that was written on this site before posting this, by the way), all fans except CPU spin, but nothing further, and I can't shut it down.

Thanks for your help!
November 9, 2012 3:57:31 PM

Update: it was both motherboard and processor. I've tested the PSU with a friend's tester, and I have the new motherboard and it won't post. All the fans spin now, but since I had the horrible odor on Saturday when I reconnected everything, I figured this was a CPU issue in the end (in addition to the motherboard, as the line that supplied power to the CPU fan was blown), as I have fried a CPU before, and the odor was the same.

Thanks for those who read this and helped.
!