First Computer Build: $600 Budget

Thomas Creel

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
Seeing if there is anthing better I can do to my build to make sure I didn't look over anything, so without further ado.

Approximate Purchase Date: 1 Month

Budget Range: $600 After Rebates/Shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: All purpose ( Will be my main computer )

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: No preference

Parts Preferences: No preference

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Additional Comments: I want to eventually have two monitors connected to this computer, I spend most of my time watching Youtube videos and listening to music, also playing games ( Wizard101, Facebook games, Rome: Total War, Napoleon: Total War. ) I don't play video games very often.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I am in 10th grade, this will be my first personal build. In my Computer Systems Tech class I have dissassembled and reassembled computers multiple times, Ghosted many of them, and I also have my CompTIA A+ Certification. Most of my friends in that class have all built their own personal rig so I am saving up money to begin my own.

I have made this setup:
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mnQy

Processor: Intel Core i3-2120 3.3GHz Dual-Core
Motherboard: MSI P67A-GD80 (B3) ATX LGA1155
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 6450 2GB
Memory: GeIL Black Dragon 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer
Case: Athena Power CA-GSB01DA (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit)
Power Supply: Raidmax 530W ATX12V / EPS12V
Monitor: Acer G226HQLBbd 60Hz 21.5"

The 6450 is not very strong. Most likely not strong enough to play the Total War games.

You also don't need a P67 for the i3. Actually, it might not even work. You can go with a H61 or a B75 chipset motherboard.

Raidmax makes very bad quality power supplies. I would recommend something from Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, or PC Power & Cooling.

On a side note, I am also training for an A+ certification as well! Any tips?

Thomas Creel

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
I'll look into the incompatibilities you mentioned above.

As far as the A+ goes it's a LONG grueling test, no lie. I was very nervous when I took it but my entire 9th grade was pretty much devoted to that class so I did know the information with ease.

I passed the pre test on Labsim twice with one hundreds both times, then my teacher drove me and a few other students who were ready to the place and we took the test.

Make sure you know all your IRQ's, that was probably the hardest part for me. also Know your networking stuff - protocols, LAN topologies, cabling, etc

I wish my high school offered that kind of class. That would have been awesome.

I'm not great with networking and such, but I'm pretty good with everything else (especially building of course).