PCI-E Connector

i'm running two 7970s in dualfire, one uses two pci connectors 8-pin and 6-pin, and one uses a single pci-connector that has both 8-pin/6-in it. while i'm not having any issues, is it actuially safe to use a single pci-connector to draw power to both pins? if i could, i would rather switch to two connectors instead of the one, but because of the added chassis fan i installed blocks the bottom connections of my PSU, i'm forced to use the top connections, unless i get rid of the fan.
4 answers Last reply
More about connector
  1. Can you please post a link to a picture or describe the connections in more detail? I'm having a hard time visualizing this.

It depends on how many watts that rail is rated to deliver. You can calculate this because watts = volts*amps. If you draw 225 watts max from those two connectors the rail with both connectors on it should be rated for above 19 amps.
  2. the connector looks like this. has two sets of pins off one connector - an 8-pin and a 6+2 pin.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r32/branden_lucero/DSCN0789.jpg

psu shipped with two of these for quad-gpu, the other 4 cables are 6+2 pins.
  3. I think you'll be fine using the cable with both the 8 pin and 6 pin connector on it. The cable draws from the second rail which is rated for a crap ton more power than you'll be drawing.
  4. thanks. i was just wondering, because i normally don't see them used in setups.
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon PCI PCI Express Graphics