Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Xfire different brand 6850's?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 7, 2012 3:33:06 AM

So I am looking to xfire 2 amd radeon 6850's. The one I currently have is the gigabyte OC edition, which happens to be out of stock on newegg and amazon without indications of being restocked. I am wondering if I can then buy the sapphire radeon hd 6850 and crossfire the 2 without problems. Any help would be appreciated, even if it is a simple yes / no :)  also, if the answer is that it is possible, can anyone link me to a good crossfire bridge connector thingy? Im new to crossfiring so I'm seeking a bit of help.

Thanks in advance!

More about : xfire brand 6850

September 7, 2012 3:41:51 AM

No reason it wouldnt work. And the card should come with a crossfire bridge. Your gigabyte should have come with one too.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2012 3:47:23 AM

You can have them in CF only problem is you have to either underclock the gigabyte OC one or OC the Sapphire card. They just have to run the same core and memory speeds. Besides that brand doesn't matter at all only model. AMD also lets you run two cards of the same series together, for example any 68xx card so if you really wanted to you can CF a 6850 and 6870.
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2012 3:47:47 AM

Yep, it should work just fine. AMD's GPU's are fairly flexible that way. I am Currently running an ASUS Radeon HD 6870 card with an XFX Radeon HD 6870. No problems at all. They aren't even clocked at the same Core and Memory frequencies.
Score
September 7, 2012 3:55:49 AM

JKatwyopc said:
Yep, it should work just fine. AMD's GPU's are fairly flexible that way. I am Currently running an ASUS Radeon HD 6870 card with an XFX Radeon HD 6870. No problems at all. They aren't even clocked at the same Core and Memory frequencies.

Ok but another guy says i need to overclock the new one or underclock my current one to make them at the same speeds. I am confused >.<
Score
September 7, 2012 3:57:01 AM

andrewcarr said:
You can have them in CF only problem is you have to either underclock the gigabyte OC one or OC the Sapphire card. They just have to run the same core and memory speeds. Besides that brand doesn't matter at all only model. AMD also lets you run two cards of the same series together, for example any 68xx card so if you really wanted to you can CF a 6850 and 6870.

Ok so im a bit confused, the guy above said that hes running crossfired differemt bramds but different speeds without problems
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2012 4:02:00 AM

It runs fine but the slower card tends to hold back the faster one a bit. Basically it's like having two of the slower cards. I don't mind because it's still quite a bit faster than I actually need. However, you might, so it's better to match them up if you can. I couldn't because the slower card was no longer available when I got the second one.
Score
September 7, 2012 4:12:34 AM

JKatwyopc said:
It runs fine but the slower card tends to hold back the faster one a bit. Basically it's like having two of the slower cards. I don't mind because it's still quite a bit faster than I actually need. However, you might, so it's better to match them up if you can. I couldn't because the slower card was no longer available when I got the second one.

Ok I dont really care about squeezing every last frame out of my gpu so i would be fine if both were at the normal card speed.
Score

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2012 3:24:26 PM

What I should have said is that it works best with them both at the same clock speeds.
September 8, 2012 1:08:33 PM

andrewcarr said:
What I should have said is that it works best with them both at the same clock speeds.

Alright so when i get the card ill probaly run it without tweeking first, then OC if i need to.
Score
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2012 5:27:41 PM

Yep, you got it.
Score
September 10, 2012 4:07:41 PM

Best answer selected by bobochez.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 10, 2012 9:09:02 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score