PC died, need new office / gaming setup quickly

empeel

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
- Approximate Purchase Date: Monday; November 5th
- Budget Range: 800 €
- System Usage from Most to Least Important: Playing League of Legends, surfing, watching movies, streaming
- Are you buying a monitor: No, already got 2 (1920x1080 and 1280x1024)

Do you need to buy OS: No
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: www.e-tec.at (cause I can pick up the parts there myself, rather than having to wait for them to be shipped)

Overclocking: Maybe
SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Additional Comments:

So my PC broke this Thursday, probably the mainboard and all my hard drives which is kinda weird, but well. That's how it goes. As I wanted to buy a new setup anyway, I'll take this as a devine sign.
My gaming enthusiasm has withered away during the years, so I am now playing League of Legends pretty much exclusively. That means that I am not looking for a high end gaming graphics card and so on, simply because I won't make good use of it. What I would like though is a rather quick working station, with fast access and boot times, one that can handle several tasks at the same time (like copying files, watching a stream and playing at the same time on two monitors). Unfortunately, this is absolutely not my expertise, cause my already limited knowledge is based on buying gaming pcs over the years.

A friend of mine came up with this:

• Intel® Core™ i5-3470
• Sharkoon SHA450-12EUP
• Cooler Master Elite 310
• Samsung 830series 2,5" 128 GB
• Asrock H77 Pro4/MVP
• G.Skill DIMM 8 GB DDR3-1333 Kit

He thinks that the onboard graphics card should be enough to handle LoL, or I can continue using my old one (Radeon 4890). The setup is well inside my budget range and should work quite well.

Rather than going ahead and buying that, I thought I'd ask the community sages, to see what others' insights might be.

Thanks in advance for your help!

malbluff

Honorable
First of all, I think it's time to retire that graphics card. It's now 3 generations old. Current cards have twice the performance (or more) and use half the power.
Wouldn't disagree with choices of processor or motherboard, although an Asus motherboard may be worth the extra cost, for better quality.
For RAM, use 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz C9 DDR3, ideally GSKill Ares, Crucial Ballistix Sport, or Corsair CML.
SSD is fine. Are you having HDD for bulk storage. Western Digital Caviar Black are probably the best. Size to suit your requirements.
Where I would suggest it is worth spending a bit. A good case will last for years, without bits dropping off. Corsair Carbide 300R, Antec 300 Two, or Illusion, are very good, but appreciate it's very much a case of personal preference. Just don't get a cheap (and poorly built) one.
A good power supply is vital. A poor one can fail, and destroy half your new components, with it. Good manufacturers are Seasonic, XFX, Antec, BeQuiet, Corsair. Whilst it obviously depends what graphics card you use, 550w will cope with almost anything. Get 600w if there's a good deal, on a good one, but it's not necessary.
I would suggest totalling that up (plus optical drive if you need one), and then decide how much you want to spend on a graphics card. 200-250 Euros will get you a pretty good one, but obviously, the more you spend, the better the performance you get, for more demanding games.

empeel

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Do you think it is worth the extra investment, even if I don't actually need the extra performance? I won't play more demanding games and League of Legends is already, like my graphics card, a few generations old (demand vise).
The system requirements are pretty laughable: CPU 2 GHz, RAM 1024 meg memory, Video Card GeForce 5 or better.

malbluff

Honorable
Of course if you don't need the sort of power, that such expenditure would give you, there's no point in spending that sort of money, on a graphics card. I would still suggest it's worth getting a latest generation card, just a much cheaper one. The modern "equivalent" of your old card would be something around HD7770, which you should be able to get under 120 Euros. About 100w less power consumption and 20 deg C cooler. Thing is then, don't spot a game, that you want to try, that's more demanding. If you're happy that won't happen, no reason to get anything more, if you were basically happy with the performance you were getting, before.